Mike's Oud Forums
Not logged in [Login - Register]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: oud with one and big soundhole?
stos
Oud Junkie

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 1-4-2013 at 12:18 PM
oud with one and big soundhole?

Hello everybody!

I think/hope my next oud will maybe be such sort of oud for arabic tuning and that's why I was looking for some pictures on the web and I saw some differences on some of the single soundhole oud, between for example one from tassos theodorakis (http://www.xilofonia.gr/ouds.html , the arabian model)
and this one from rapakoussios

the tassos one seem to have larger soundhole than the dimitris one.

I think I prefer the first bigger soundhole it seems more balance in an esthetic point of view, but is there any sound issue? Is there some standard on those single soundholes or not?

thanks a lot! :cool: and I wish you all a happy new year!
SamirCanada

[*] posted on 1-4-2013 at 12:53 PM

check this out though... a small hole can be elegant also... (oh my... that sounds strange.)
http://www.mikeouds.com/messageboard/viewthread.php?tid=4476#pid290...

I dont know how much a few CM difference in the big sound hole would make... maybe it larger it gets the more sound can escape...

From my experience, up to a certain point the larger the soundhole the louder the instrument can be. I have had several ouds with 1 and 3 soundholes and generaly speaking 1 soundhole is a little bit weaker. The tone or the timbre of the instrument is lovely though, they just dont project as much. I am speaking in general of course since there could be exceptions.

For your examples, they are both nice ouds. its a difficult choice to make since they are great makers both of them.

@samiroud Instagram
samiroudmaker@gmail.com
Multi Kulti
Oud Junkie

Mood: skaataa!

[*] posted on 1-4-2013 at 01:47 PM

I like the single big rosette too. My Tasos Theodorakis Oud features that too.

Pics:

[file]25282[/file] [file]25284[/file]

jdowning
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 1-4-2013 at 04:31 PM

The ratio of soundhole diameter to the air volume of the bowl determines the bass response of an oud (Helmholtz effect).
stos
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 1-5-2013 at 05:36 AM

thanks all for you answers!

multi kulti ----> how is the sound and projection of this oud? (do you have any soundclip or video of it?)

jdowning ---> this means that with the same volume of bowl, if you have one oud with little soundhole and one with a bigger one, the second one will have more bass response?

samir ----> the workmanship on the oud seems great, and even I don't really like those kind of iraqi ouds this ones is beautifull

but the soundhole seems too small to me...I cannot really explain why, its maybe my "internal geometric/aesthetic point of view that is speaking..;)

Another question : I've never seen any single hole oud when I went to istanbul to visit luthiers (ramazan, nisadir, veysel ...)

does somebody knows if there is in istanbul somebody doing such ouds? (so it wouldn't be a unique order=$$$)

thanks a lot!
Multi Kulti
Oud Junkie

Mood: skaataa!

[*] posted on 1-5-2013 at 10:00 AM

In this recording you hear it through a DPA 4061 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EzeF29B0aN4

and here from a live with my orchestra http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uc4sEWsoCqg (but the sound of the live is not the best i must say)

Nikos
conroystoptime
Oud Maniac

[*] posted on 1-5-2013 at 12:19 PM

That first recording is beautiful, Multi Kulti.

Jdowning (or anyone else who knows), according to the Heimholtz effect, then, what effect would the additional soundhole diameter provided by the two smaller soundholes have - more or less bottom end?

Multi Kulti's recording of his one-hole oud has a terrific bassiness to it.
jdowning
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 1-5-2013 at 12:21 PM

For a bit more information and thoughts about the Helmholtz resonant effect see here

http://www.mikeouds.com/messageboard/viewthread.php?tid=8488&pa...

A larger diameter soundhole does not necessarily mean a louder sound or greater bass response for a given bowl volume - it could be the reverse. As it is a resonance effect the diameter of the sound hole must be adjusted to match the air volume of the bowl in order to give the required maximum sound volume at the required frequency. This frequency might be the pitch that the 5th course is tuned to for example - or it might not.
The optimum soundhole diameter for a particular design of oud cannot be accurately calculated - so would usually be determined by trial and error by the luthier - possibly over the course of building many instruments - or by experimenting with a prototype design with removable soundhole inserts of different diameters.

At the end of the day it must surely be your ear not appearance that guides your choice of instrument

Go To Top