Mike's Oud Forums
Not logged in [Login - Register]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Ordering an oud : good/bad experience?
stos
Oud Junkie

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 1-5-2013 at 09:00 AM
Ordering an oud : good/bad experience?

hello!

All the different oud I owned where never ordered but always finished instrument that I had the opportunity to try and see if I like them or not.

Now I'm considering ordering from one maker that I like the work. But there is something that I find difficult to deal with : Oud are so unique that you cannot really say if it gonna be a good one or not.

For example I tried some ouds from Haddad (tunisian maker) made the same day, and the one was great the other not so much.

So what if I do not like the sound of the oud at the end? it could be because it is not so well made or also because the sound is not what I attended.

did it happen to some of you? how could you deal this with a kuthier?

thanks for sharing your experiences!

thanks for sharing
Multi Kulti
Oud Junkie

Mood: skaataa!

[*] posted on 1-5-2013 at 09:58 AM

Hi Stos (Christos maybe?) !

The luthiers want to make good ouds and more to please the customers. So i dont think they would want you to keep an instrument you dont actually like. With all the luthiers i dealt with it was like "you like it you keep it" Otherwise they would make something else or sell it to someone other..

Its very nice to have a custom oud made from a luthier you like his work. The contact with him, the time you spent designing and discuss about it. And of course the personal taste in sound and appearance.

I wish the best in choosing!

Nikos
jdowning
Oud Junkie

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 1-5-2013 at 01:09 PM

This is an interesting question.

Although it might be expected that an instrument custom ordered from an experienced and well established luthier will be of at least a reasonably acceptable high standard acoustically there is likely no guarantee that it will be exceptional. So a 'you like it you keep it' policy would certainly be fair.

Some of todays top lute makers have waiting lists extending to several years and will usually require a non returnable deposit when an instrument is ordered and full payment once work has started on making the lute. I am not sure what the situation would be if the completed instrument, costing several thousand dollars - in the unlikely event - turned out to be a complete 'dud' (in the opinion of the customer). Would the luthier take back the instrument for a refund - I have to doubt it.

Interesting to note that a prominent and well established Spanish company producing high quality, hand made classical guitars - do not price their completed instruments - all the 'same' in construction, finish and appearance - until they have been fully tried and tested by experienced players employed for that purpose. Those judged to have exceptional acoustical properties are then sold with a suitably elevated price tag.

paulO
Oud Junkie

Mood: Utz

[*] posted on 1-5-2013 at 08:00 PM

Hi Stos,

If you want to be sure how an oud is going to sound, play the finished oud - then buy it (or not). Custom orders can never be a sure thing, and that's just how it is. You have to be sure the maker you're ordering from has a sound you like, or style you like. Then you have to roll the dice. The last paragraph of jdowning's post pretty much says it all....good luck man.

Regards...Paul

Go To Top