Not logged in [Login - Register]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Question about ribs
Alexi_OUD
Oud Addict

[*] posted on 1-6-2013 at 06:48 PM
Question about ribs

Hello, any suggestions on what type of material to use for the mold of the ribs? I have used parchment paper and used the measurements from Mr. Hankey's book, however it seems I need a mold in order to transfer the shape to the wood ribs. Thanks for the help
fernandraynaud
Oud Junkie

Mood: m'Oudy

[*] posted on 1-7-2013 at 01:56 AM

Hi, Alexi. The way people do it is by building a sort of "positive mold-frame" out of wood. You can find many pictures and videos of this. The wood used can be simple plywood. The ribs are then shaped exactly, bent with heat, and held in place with push-pins on the "mold", with glue applied between then, and strips of paper inside. Once the ribs are all glued together, they have the shape of the bowl and are removed from the mold-frame. Is this what you were asking?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w8ztAgtHz04

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bcKJWwNHGQ4
SamirCanada

[*] posted on 1-7-2013 at 09:49 AM

Dont use paper my friend its to hard to use.

What you need to do is to take your first rib that is down to the right thickness but still square and bend it to your desired shape. Afterwards you will need to brush up on your trigonometry and determine the width of the ribs at various intervals. For example if your bowl is 50 cm long, determine the measurments at 0cm, 5cm 15cm 25cm 35 cm 45 cm and 50 cm. Draw the width marks directly on the inside of your prebent rib. with a pencil, connect the dots of your markings using a flexible ruler that can curve into the rib. Cut and plane the rib to the exact pencil line.
You now have your template.
When you bend your next rib, insert the template on the bottom side of your template and draw along each side of the rib. Cut and plane it to the right size.

@samiroud Instagram
samiroudmaker@gmail.com
SamirCanada

[*] posted on 1-7-2013 at 09:53 AM

Use this technique to fit the ribs. It is really the best way to do it by far.

http://www.mikeouds.com/messageboard/viewthread.php?tid=3959&pa...

@samiroud Instagram
samiroudmaker@gmail.com
Alexi_OUD
Oud Addict

[*] posted on 1-7-2013 at 11:29 AM

Thanks Fernand, I was asking about the initial rib, and Samir answered it. I do appreciate all the great help! Im glad I joined this forum. I will post pics soon of my 1st oud.

Go To Top