Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: The Qaflah
ahmed_eissa
Oud Maniac

Mood: Oud-y

[*] posted on 1-8-2013 at 05:50 PM
The Qaflah

In my quest to read everything I can about Arabic music theory and taqsim/modulation, I came across "The Qaflah"from Brian Prunka's website.

http://www.brianprunka.com/oud/maqam2.htm

He defines it as "standard cadential formulae used to resolve to the tonic of a particular maqam (or a jins within the maqam). Most of the time, this involves ascending to some note, then rapidly descending down to the tonic. A melodic cadence is called a qaflah (pl. qaflat)."

And then provides a few examples, such as:

"Bayati family: usually 4-1

Kurd family: usually 4-1. In the key of C (Hijaz Kar Kurd), the
7th below tonic commonly precedes 4 (Bb - F - C).

Nahawand family: extremely variable; I've heard a lot of different qaflat used, including: 5-1, 4-1, 3-1."

The Michigan Arab Orchestra's definition

qaflah: a cadential pattern ending a musical phrase and usually followed by a pause.

I am still a bit confused on this technique, and how to execute it. Could anyone perhaps explain it in a little more detail, and/or provide an actual example (youtube or audio file is fine)?

Thanks in advance for any help.
Masel
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 1-10-2013 at 04:36 AM

i disagree with that, it doesn't fit what i know about qaflah. qaflah literaly means "to lock" in arabic and there is not one type, it is simply a way of "closing" a phrase in a tasteful way. it can be done many ways but normally a qaflah as i know it is usually "falling" rapidly from a note down to the tonic/temporary tonic. it ends the phrase in a way that leaves tension and leaves you waiting for more, which makes the music more compelling. for example in this farid taqsim you can hear it at:

0:13
0:31
0:56
1:37

and so on...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cHVNj05SoH0

if you cannot find it on your own you should pay attention to where the musical phrases end (followed by a silence). although it can be found in the middle of phrases too.
Brian Prunka
Oud Junkie

Mood: Stringish

[*] posted on 1-10-2013 at 04:49 AM

Those pages were written a long time ago, I've left them up because a lot of people have told me they found them useful but there is a lot of incomplete information.

While there isn't just one qaflah for a maqam, there are usually only a few standard underlying structures that are expressed in slightly different ways. These are usually a phrase emphasizing the dominant followed by the tonic, or the octave followed by the tonic (or temporary ones, as in a modulation).
Just to be clear, it's not just those notes! It might be the whole scale, it might be a descending sequence or other melodic pattern.
What is consistent is that a higher note is emphasized followed by a lower one.

You just have to check out songs and taqasim to learn examples; it's not something that you can learn in a purely theoretical way.

maybe people can post some youtube clips and point out the examples like Masel did. I'll try to find some and point some out.

YouTube lessons and resources

Follow on Instagram
My oud music on YouTube
www.brianprunka.com

My u2u inbox is over capacity, please contact me through my website
Masel
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 1-10-2013 at 01:44 PM

yes i know what you mean like in the same taqasim i posted listen at 1:00 and at 1:20 in both of these he starts with a high g bayat and finishes on the low G (tuned very low).
ahmed_eissa
Oud Maniac

Mood: Oud-y

[*] posted on 1-12-2013 at 05:17 PM

Thanks for the help. I'm gaining a better understanding now with these examples. And I agree Brian, I think if some members could post a few more examples like the ones we have above, that would be great. :)
ameer
Oud Junkie

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 1-12-2013 at 06:38 PM

Here is a youtube link for Riyad El Sunbati's famous taqsim from the song Ashwaq.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6kjFR321XyQ
Pay attention at: 1:06, 3:56, 4:57, 5:45, 6:47, 8:52 and 9:55.
My uncle once described a well executed qafla like a well executed break on a car: it smoothly brings the passenger from whatever speed back to 0 without jolting them by being too sudden or letting them get too used to an intermediate speed.

Go To Top