Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Maqam of the Month - SABA
bahleh13
Oud Maniac

Mood: Majnoun el Oud

light.gif posted on 11-9-2004 at 07:15 AM
Maqam of the Month - SABA

Finally, the awaited even arrives :) A new thread with a new maqam. I hope y'all get ur posts ready.

Saba:

D E$ F Gb A Bb C (or Cb) D (or D#)

As lots said, not much taksims or songs are played on this maqam, but quite a lot of them modulate to it, and everyone loves it, provided the modulation is done in the right place and befitting the right maqam (one has to know when and where). previously we had such discussion about saba and modulating to it. Well, here's where we repeat and add more to it. This post I repeat isnt strictly for taksims, u can also post songs, or even modulations in certain songs to Saba. Here's my taksim, with a song for Farid - Zeina. Party on people!

Yours truly,
Basel :D

P.S. a good tip for Saba is to get ur pinky moving.
P.P.S. Other songs include "ala2i zayyak fein ya Ali" for Saba7, also composed by Farido.
Zulkarnain
Oud Junkie

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 11-9-2004 at 07:41 AM

Hi bahleh

Do you mind telling me which Oud u are using for the recording? A picture or two will be highly appreciated!

Salam
bahleh13
Oud Maniac

[*] posted on 11-11-2004 at 01:24 PM
Hi Zul...

"3a slemit 2rounak ya Skandar!!"

It's a little something we say referring to Alexander the Macedonian (called in arabic Iskandar Zulkarnain). No insult is meant there at all, so no need to worry about it ;)

Anyways I mentioned about my Oud before, but i'll be danged if I remember and searching the forum for it is a bit tedious for me, i still have lots of catching up in my studies to do and it's a bit late now, so I'll include some details about it:

Actually, I dunno much about the oud, it is a "second-hand" oud, restored. The owner was a Saudi, who seemingly gave up music, the oud was in a bad condition, but some restoration was performed. The maker is (was) the 1st assistant for the infamous egyptian oudmaker Gamil Georges, Mohamad Amin Ibrahim. Date of manufacture is unknown, the only date mentioned on the label inside is that he has experience since 1956. I dunno the wood used, but I think the back is walnut from its looks :shrug: AnywaysI have some pix (low quality webcam) I can share.

Here's a pic of the back:
bahleh13
Oud Maniac

[*] posted on 11-11-2004 at 01:26 PM

And here's the face (note the patches, signs of previous stickers or something):
bahleh13
Oud Maniac

[*] posted on 11-11-2004 at 01:33 PM

And here's the tag inside. U can I hope see the name Gamil Georges near the lower right corner. Again the quality isnt good to allow a clear vision, but I will write the text

"TECHNICAL WORKSHOP for MAKING LUTE
Owner: Mohamad Amin Ibrahim First Supervisor: Gamil George
Experience in making lutes from 1956 - 7 Houd el Atlak, from Abdel Aal Canal Giza. Mohamad Amin Ibrahim st. Saft El Laban"

Of course the "nonsense" in the end is the address. There's also a telephone number but i guess it wouldnt work now: 3294922.
bahleh13
Oud Maniac

[*] posted on 11-11-2004 at 01:47 PM

And here's another audio clip. note - the mic is actually closer to me than to the Oud, yet my voice is no match for it (almost). That's all i can tell about my Oud Zul, hope u got a more or less clear picture.

And Mike, to answer why exactly I dedicated "Lissa Fakir" to Chris, even though he doesn't like Ajam, or this song, it was a preparation to this post - I am posting now the next part of "Lissa Fakir" which is a switch to Saba (I love change from Ajam to Saba). Hope y'all will like it, especially Chris (sorry for the "inconvenient" dedication ;) hope no hard feelings).

All y'all we awaitssssss ur possssstsssssssesssss (my precioussssss!!!). Peace y'all!!

Yours truly,
Basel :D
revaldo29
Oud Junkie

Mood: inspired

[*] posted on 11-21-2004 at 10:09 AM

Hey all,

Man, this post really got buried over time. Well, I finally got a chance to sit down and record something. I thought I would try something different this time and take the time to learn a song in Saba. So, I turned to the queen oum kalthoum for help :D. This is hooa sahih. I believe the original maqam is Hijaz or something similar but I changed it to Saba and it didn't sound too badly off. So here you go, I hope you enjoy. Any feed back would be highly appreciated.
sydney
Oud Junkie

Mood: Bastanikar

[*] posted on 11-23-2004 at 01:14 AM
MY share of Saba

Hello Fine People

This is my share of Saba.

Recorded on my e-oud connected to the lab top. It does not show how good the oud sounds but next time I'll find better way of connection

Regards
revaldo29
Oud Junkie

Mood: inspired

[*] posted on 11-23-2004 at 06:51 AM

Very nice playing sydney. I loved the modulation. Real smooth :applause:. Just out of curiosity, how long have you been playing? There are certain licks and rapid finger movements I hear in all arabic taqassim that I can't seem to learn. Did you just pick on these things from listening to a ton of recordings? This question is for all who know what I'm talking about and might have an answer :D Once again, very nice, euphoric taqasim syd. I hope to hear some other people's contributions soon.
sydney
Oud Junkie

Mood: Bastanikar

[*] posted on 11-25-2004 at 10:11 PM
Saba

Hello Revaldo

I thank you for your nice words, I have been playing for over 15 years. I believe the more you listen the more you learn but you also need someone to teach you things that are not in books and also not easy to pick up by listenning. If there is anything I can help you learn, please ask or e-mail me.

I am sure there are many other members here are far better than me to help too.

Again .. Thank you for your kind words.

Emad from Sydney

Go To Top