Printable Version  
Author: Subject: varnish
francis
Oud Junkie

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 1-20-2013 at 04:13 PM
varnish

Bonsoir,

I would like to know the french names for good and sweet shellac That I can find here in France: concerning bowl and table. They are certainly not the same, if I have well understood discussions in the forum...
Of Course, I don't want to get these heavy things like boats varnishes...

Thanks for your coming answers!:bowdown:

Francis
jdowning
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 1-21-2013 at 04:01 AM

I have never heard of 'good' or 'sweet' shellac but shellac is shellac and only differs in its relative purity.

Just a wild guess, food grade shellac is used to put a shine or glaze on candies (sweets) - known as 'confectioner's glaze'. Perhaps this is your 'sweet' shellac?

Another guess - perhaps 'good' shellac is purified shellac free of wax (de-waxed grade)? If shellac is to be used as a primer/sealer for wood it should be dewaxed grade as any wax will prevent other coats of oil varnish from properly adhering or sticking to the sealer coat.
If you use unrefined 'Orange' shellac (this grade contains wax and other impurities) it is usual practice to mix the shellac flakes with alcohol in the required concentration and then allow the solution to stand for several days to allow any wax to settle at the bottom of the container. The clear - wax free - shellac solution is then decanted through a coffee filter to strain off the wax impurities.
jdowning
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 1-21-2013 at 05:39 AM

Here is an image of some Orange shellac solution that has been standing undisturbed for some months - showing the layer of wax that has settled out at the bottom of the container.

There is a large company called 'Bona' that sells shellac products - including both Orange and dewaxed flakes.
Could this company name be the 'Good' shellac that you refer to francis?

[file]25533[/file]
francis
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 1-22-2013 at 05:49 PM

Thanks for your answer jdowning!

By "sweet" shellac I wanted to say a shellac which can be applied very thin with a cloth, in opposition with thick varnishes that often cover "modern" ouds. My english is poor so you didn't understand what I wanted to mean, sorry for this.
I researh a french name for a nice one that I can find here in France...I have to do this work on my old cittern to protect it after years and years of intense playing ....
Thanks again!

Francis

BaniYazid
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 1-23-2013 at 04:13 AM

Bonjour Francis,

Si tu es sur Paris je te conseil HMB : http://www.hmb-bda.fr/ pour la gomme laque (shellac)
Demande l'avis des vendeurs sur les différentes qualités proposées.
Je suis en train de réfléchir à revernir le dos de mon sukar qui est en train de peller, avec de la gomme laque aussi.

Bonne chance
BaniYazid
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 1-23-2013 at 04:14 AM

info : http://www.hmb-bda.fr/gomme-laque.php
francis
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 1-23-2013 at 06:09 AM

Merci BaniYazid!

Non, je ne suis pas sur Paris, mais le lien m'est utile pour avoir les bons questionnements avant d'entreprendre quoi que ce soit!

Go To Top