Mike's Oud Forums
Not logged in [Login - Register]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2
Author: Subject: What is it about Nahat?!!
baseelo
Oud Addict

[*] posted on 1-21-2013 at 05:30 PM
What is it about Nahat?!!

Hi everybody,

I know this might sound real naive.

But what is it about Nahat ouds that makes them so attractive and interesting for every oudist?

Is it just the historical value, or is it that oudists of today find a magic quality of sound in them that they can't find in othere makers' ouds?

And if it is the sound quality, haven't makers who always try to make new Nahat-like ouds been able to reach the same quality with all the technology that we have today that definitely make things easier on them?

And why aren't oudist as attracted to products of a maker like Jameel Kandalaft , for example, who made the famous MOP loaded oud of Farid AlAtrache.

All of these interesting discussions about Nahat products make me so curious.

Thank you.
Brian Prunka
Oud Junkie

Mood: Stringish

[*] posted on 1-22-2013 at 08:05 AM

It is mainly the sound. There are other great old makers, like Onnik Karibyan, Gamil Georges, Leon Istanbuli, and others, but since the Nahat family had a couple of generations of luthiers, they produced comparatively more instruments, so they are easier to focus on.

I'm sure many oudis would like a Kandalaft oud, but one never sees them for sale, so there is less discussion.

I could tell you that Shukri al-Mulki made great ouds in Syria around the same time period, but good luck finding one, since there are only a handful surviving.

Technology isn't nearly as useful as trial-and-error when it comes to unlocking the secrets of great instrument sound. Why do Stradivarius violins sell for millions of dollars?

Not all Nahats are great (as noted in the other thread, some in the family made better ouds than others, and there was a range of ouds produced even by the same maker), but on average, they are fairly reliable in having a superior sound.

The makers living today that are most often getting closest to that sound, IMO, are Najib Shaheen and John Vergara (Bulerias on the forum). Faruk Turunz, and some others, make great-sounding ouds but they have their own distinct character.

I'm sure that history and appearance have something to do with it (they definitely affect the price), but the general interest is because of the predictably good sound.

YouTube lessons and resources

Follow on Instagram
My oud music on YouTube
www.brianprunka.com

My u2u inbox is over capacity, please contact me through my website
Alfaraby
Oud Junkie

Mood: Cool

[*] posted on 1-22-2013 at 12:45 PM
Why Nahat ?

Nahat's name has been associated with Syrian oud making over a century, and has become a synonymous of excellence, perfection and brilliance, that have been imitated by both contemporary and subsequent makers.

There is no doubt that there are numerous reasons to explain the supremacy of the Nahat oud over a whole century; but the most important reasons, from my own point of view, are:

First: Nahat was not just a person, but an ancestry of luthiers, who had transferred their workmanship secrets from fathers to sons &/or brothers for at least a century : since the establishment of the Nahat Brothers Partnership – "Ikhwan Nahat" - of Abdo & Rofan in Damascus back in 1880, through their brothers Hanna & Antoine, through Hanna's sons George & Tawfiq until the last of the Nahats, Elias Abdo Nahat, who had made his last oud in Sao Paulo, Brazil in 1984. No one has ever succeeded to break this nasty circle of those seven luthiers. Thus the secrets died along with the owners' death. What a pity !

Second: Nahat family was not solely devoted to luthiery, as they had a very busy carpentry shop and were the manufactures of custom luxurious oriental traditional furniture, as been indicated in Abdo's famous label. Nothing on the label insinuates they make ouds ! Therefore they just had no need to make ouds to insure their living, at least until the liquidation of the business by Abdo and his whole family's immigration to Brazil in 1937.

Third: They started making ouds in Damascus in the late nineteenth century, with the absence of serious competition. They were, in this concept, the pioneers, who had set the rules and the measurements of the modern oud, of which we've seen the first copies. Earlier, it has seemingly been a different instrument, either larger or smaller, primitive kind of oud. It is true though that oud is not a Nahats' invention, since it has always been an integral part of the Arabic musical civilization, but the Nahat ouds were just perfect, as evidenced by the immortal pieces preserved since then, with some specifications that were not common in the industry at the time, and by the absence of others' ouds, which disappeared or have crumbled or collapsed since then. This proves they were structurally fragile and weak, or they never existed.

Fourth: Nahat ouds proved over time that once they survived accidents, they'd live long, due to a special process of making and the adoption of the best raw materials of wood and glues. These preserved instruments prove that these makers have known exactly what formula resists time and shocks. Thus the name "Nahat" has become a superlative, often associated with excellence; to be called "the Nahat" of any field is to be deemed the finest there is, just as Stradivarius did with his great violins.

Fifth: The durability of Nahat ouds also contributed to prolonging its life, which has had the greatest impact on their current sound; since no newly built oud is capable of producing old sounds, regardless of the quality and mastery of its making. I tend to believe that Nahat ouds weren't of this sound quality when they were first built, and that this well- known sound of the Nahat ouds is a production or contribution of time. Some others' ouds that has exceptionally withstood time had similar to some degree sound, suggesting that the passing of time and the drying of wood over the years would have impacted the formation of resonance that comes out of an old Oud.

Sixth: Nahat may have known exactly what sound they want from their ouds, so they just created this kind of sound, just like a jeweler molding a golden jewlery. We scarcely find a Nahat's oud (and I mean a very good authentic Nahat, mostly Abdo's) that does not give us this special timbre we all cherish. This kind of sound was inculcated in the ears of performers and listeners, and became dialectically linked: this sound of this kind of oud comes from this oud which produces this kind of sound. Nonetheless, it is only natural that there would be some fiascos in the industry, but those were only the exception, not the rule.

Seventh: The makers took advantage of their know-how and trained skills in the industry of manufacturing oriental furniture, decorations and interleave wood-wood and wood-ivory &/or mother of pearl, etc. in their ouds, so it turned to be, along with its durability and tonal qualities, a distinctive artwork of beauty, precision and good taste. They have spared no effort in wood carving, decorations, stylization and interlock, indifferent to the time they'd spend on such works, provided that their product turns to be a piece of art, just like their other oriental artifacts.
They also made use of motifs that were originally prepared for manufacturing their oriental crafts, such as tables, chairs, side-lamps, etc. - in the oud, which spared them a lot of effort required to make such motifs specifically for ouds, as these units were manufactured in the form of rods, sliced cross and inlayed in their products. These sophisticated oriental motifs were needed for both, oud or other artifact, supplementing each other.

Eighth: Nahat invested lot of effort in planning and implementation of the rosettes, so that they became no longer just covers of the soundboard holes, but a masterpiece for itself, in which time, effort and expertise were invested, indifferent to the time they'd spend in. They made more than one great rosette, each of which is a masterpiece per se, so that an oud which looses its rose, looses from its value. Nahat also hired their knowledge in carpentry to make a combination of wood-bone roses, that made many contemporary makers goggle speechless.

More to come … well, maybe !

Yours indeed
Alfaraby

alfarabymusic@gmail.com
baseelo
Oud Addict

[*] posted on 1-23-2013 at 12:01 AM

Thank you Brian and AlFaraby for your highly appreciated replies.

Brian, what you mentioned regarding the sound being the main reason makes a lot of sense. It is interesting that you mentioned Shukri AlMulki as a great oud maker. I happen to be an American who comes from a Syrian family. I was born in Damascus and grew up there. I did hear the name of Shukri AlMulki a couple of times from some of the musicians that I learned from or met in Damascus like Nizar Moraly , Zaki Mohamed and my teacher the great music historian Sameem Shareef who passed away about 2 weeks ago…… But most of the enthusiastic discussions were about the Nahats, especially Abdo. I didn’t pay much attention then to all of these conversations, but now I understand more what they meant. It is interesting, AlFaraby, that you mentioned Salka as a commercial oud maker. This was where I would go to buy my oud strings those days. He had a small shop in Souk AlHamidiyyeh full of “ tourist” ouds. You can’t imagine the nostalgia all of these memories bring to me.

Dear AlFaraby, you never fail to amaze me with the plethora of information that you have about the Nahat family. I really think that you should write an extensive article about it. It will be an important historical text. I really mean it.

I appreciate the eight points that you mentioned. Particularly interesting to me is what you said in the third point: (They were, in this concept, the pioneers, who had set the rules and the measurements of the modern oud, of which we've seen the first copies ) This per se, is a point important enough to make them of the most important makers of oud in the history.

Lucky is the person who gets a chance to get his hands on one of those masterpieces.

Thank you so much guys for your time and the great info.

Sincerely,

Basel
THE GUY FROM THE PAST
Oud Lover

[*] posted on 1-23-2013 at 01:06 AM

To tell you the truth I do not believe the legend of Nahat- who is Nahat? it is a full pedigree of at least 13+ makers stretched over almost a century till the late sixties. Out of these thousands of ouds produced over the years the likelihood of survivors over the years is greater than any other maker. I have come across many nahat ouds, only few have been appealing to me, only those by abdu the great.
The real Stradivarius of ouds in my humble view are 2:
Abdul AZIZ AL-LETHY OF Egypt
&
Manole of Istanbul
Among the living luthiers who are closest to the Nahat style and twaninig are 2
Kamil moais: all his ouds are Nahat style
&
Michael Moussa`s replica of abdu Nahat in rosewood
The guy from the past
Adel Salameh
Oud Junkie

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 1-23-2013 at 02:49 AM

Al Faraby and Brian... both you are right... very well Said...
when we talk about legend oud makers, as became known as a Stradivarius of oud making... I came a cross only 2 makers that can achieve this which are
Manolis and Abdo Nahat...
we had many good makers ...but the 2 has combined the sound and workmanship ... their instruments are simply perfect...
Good luck, Adel
Brian Prunka
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 1-23-2013 at 08:25 AM

Yes, Manol, of course. And Kamil Mouais/Mwez does make great sounding ouds, I forgot to mention him.

Thanks to AlFaraby for the great detail.

Follow on Instagram
My oud music on YouTube
www.brianprunka.com

Alfaraby
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 1-23-2013 at 11:57 AM

Thanks fellows. I'm flattered :)
Basel: u2u me if you please about your suggestion.

It was all about Nahat, not others, neither comparison nor discussing who makes what, where or when nowadays. Nahat "style" is not the semblance nor the shape of the oud; otherwise, no one like Zaher Khalifah in Damascus or Ahmad Abd Aljaleel in Kuwait are capable in these days to make an exact copy of a Nahat. See here:

http://www.mikeouds.com/messageboard/viewthread.php?tid=13284
http://www.mikeouds.com/messageboard/viewthread.php?tid=13424#pid91...

Nahat oud is not "copyable" - if I may so - no matter what luthiers do to copy the exact bowl, braces, soundboard .. whatever. Not even the great luthiers' sons who were literally born into their father's workshops were capable of making a single copy of their father's; not Abdo's, not Hanna's, not Fadel's, just like Antonio Stradivari's sons who caught up the business weren't able to make what their father had taught them or what they have seen it done in front of their wide open eyes. This is the secret of making that the maker can't pass to his sons, nor to his apprentices. Manol passed all his secrets to his fellow makers who once used to work for him, but none of them (maybe except for Carribyan) was another Manol.

Yours indeed
Alfaraby

alfarabymusic@gmail.com
baseelo
Oud Addict

[*] posted on 1-23-2013 at 11:09 PM

Hi Alfaraby,

I just sent you a u2u.

Thank you
Alfaraby
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 1-24-2013 at 02:27 PM

Got it Basel & replied. Pls. contact me through my email.

Yours indeed
Alfaraby

alfarabymusic@gmail.com
Alfaraby
Oud Junkie

info.gif posted on 7-31-2015 at 08:07 AM

Quote: Originally posted by Alfaraby  

The makers took advantage of their know-how and trained skills in the industry of manufacturing oriental furniture, decorations and interleave wood-wood and wood-ivory &/or mother of pearl, etc. in their ouds, so it turned to be, along with its durability and tonal qualities, a distinctive artwork of beauty, precision and good taste. They have spared no effort in wood carving, decorations, stylization and interlock, indifferent to the time they'd spend on such works, provided that their product turns to be a piece of art, just like their other oriental artifacts.

They also made use of motifs that were originally prepared for manufacturing their oriental crafts, such as tables, chairs, side-lamps, etc. - in the oud, which spared them a lot of effort required to make such motifs specifically for ouds, as these units were manufactured in the form of rods, sliced cross and inlaid in their products. These sophisticated oriental motifs were needed for both, oud or other artifact, supplementing each other.

Hello friends
This quote has been written several times in the past, but we haven't really seen any of these crafts in person. First, because they were a century old furniture; and second, because The Holy Land knew a lot of trouble that might have ruined what was left from such furniture.

Now all of a sudden, I came across two of these magnificent products of the legendary Abdo Nahhat whose grandson Abdo Nahhat Jr. (probably Elias's son in Brazil) has published lately. He pointed out on a foot-note (in Portogese): "Oriental style chair made by my grandfather Abdo in 1910" !

I spent hours looking at these marvellous works of art and I'm sure you would do also. Wherever you'd look, you'd see a motif that you have already seen on Abdo's ouds. What a great unbelievable work of art. What I didn't really know is the fact they made beautiful embroidery as well. I tried to read what is embroidered there, but couldn't. Maybe you may !

ENJOY
I'm sure you will

Yours indeed
Alfaraby

[file]36110[/file] [file]36112[/file]

alfarabymusic@gmail.com
Dr. Oud
Oud Junkie

Mood: better than before

[*] posted on 7-31-2015 at 08:45 AM

Alfaraby pretty much nailed the reasons for the fame of Nahhat ouds. While Abdo and Elias emigrated to Brazil in 1937, George Hanna continued to make ouds in Damascus until the mi 1960's. The quality undeniably suffered without the supervision of the master, and George Hanna' output was prolific, possibly indicating a mass production operation. There are some ouds left by Elias in Brazil, and the workmanship is superb, but his granddaughter has them and doesn't seem interested in selling them, probably because their value isn't similar to violins or even fine guitars. I believe that Adel Salameh went to Brazil but returned without one of these ouds. Market forces determine prices and ouds just don't receive the value of violins or even guitars. I've seen electric guitars from the 1950's selling for $25,000! Fine handmade guitars today sell for over $20,000 from the best makers, violins start around $40,000, so why are ouds so cheap?

The loss of knowledge and skill due to the lack of an apprentice system in the Arabic and Persian cultures (outside the family) is an unfortunate factor. Turkish oud making has benefited from an open apprentice system resulting in ouds today being built with the same design, detail and quality as the old Manols, with only the age missing to develop the distinctive tone quality. This aging process is the only thing that can't be replicated, so in 25 years or so, some of the ouds made today may rival the sound of Nahhat ouds.

Some more information about Nahhat ouds:

http://www.droud.com/Nahhat.html

Nahhat ouds available:

http://www.droud.com/for_sale.html

suz_i_dil
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 7-31-2015 at 08:47 AM

You're right Jameel...enjoyable !
what an amazing work of art on those furnitures !

SamirCanada

[*] posted on 7-31-2015 at 08:54 AM

Wow... just wow.

@samiroud Instagram
samiroudmaker@gmail.com
mercm525i
Oud Junkie

Mood: mnee7

[*] posted on 7-31-2015 at 10:53 AM

Also found this drawn by Elias Nahat. Photo was commented "Desenho das 12 cordas musicais do Alaúde feito pelo meu pai Elias Abdo Nahat"

Translated: Design of 12 musical strings of the oud done by my father elijah abdo nahat

[file]36114[/file]
SamirCanada

[*] posted on 7-31-2015 at 11:39 AM

nice, so it looks like Elias Abdo Nahat recommends the following tuning: DEAdgc

@samiroud Instagram
samiroudmaker@gmail.com
Alfaraby
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 7-31-2015 at 02:34 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Dr. Oud  
George Hanna continued to make ouds in Damascus until the late 1050's.
Jamil probably knows the exact date

I'm sure you meant 1950's Dr.
I have had a GHN oud from 1965 . He might have passed away right afterwards (RIP) late in 1965.

Thanks Philip for the sketch, but it's not readable nor printable. This who manages to make more read/printable version, would be named as a high ranking nominee for the coming Nahat Prize.
Take my word for it :)

I highly recommend to get back to Nahat In Brazil thread. It has some samples of the Nahat artifacts and motifs:
http://www.mikeouds.com/messageboard/viewthread.php?tid=9897

Yours indeed
Alfaraby

alfarabymusic@gmail.com
Dr. Oud
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 8-3-2015 at 08:27 AM

I contacted Livia Jacob, a journalist who has written extensively about the Arab music culture in Brazil. The website is no longer online, but she published a Youtube documentary about "The Last of the Nahat"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hvmVFi68EdE

Alfaraby
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 8-3-2015 at 09:56 AM

And here's the clip with Elias Nahat's ouds:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NkLX_VG6dew

Yours indeed
Alfaraby

alfarabymusic@gmail.com
alchemy
Oud Maniac

[*] posted on 8-3-2015 at 07:38 PM

Quote: Originally posted by mercm525i  
Also found this drawn by Elias Nahat. Photo was commented "Desenho das 12 cordas musicais do Alaúde feito pelo meu pai Elias Abdo Nahat"

Translated: Design of 12 musical strings of the oud done by my father elijah abdo nahat

Could you please post a higher resolution picture of that page?
Thanks
mercm525i
Oud Junkie

Mood: mnee7

[*] posted on 8-4-2015 at 03:09 AM

Quote: Originally posted by alchemy  
Quote: Originally posted by mercm525i  

Could you please post a higher resolution picture of that page?
Thanks

I wish I could but that's the resolution that I found that page unfortunately...maybe some post processing with adobe or similar will help. I'll give it a shot.
Dr. Oud
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 8-8-2015 at 07:22 AM

I was watching an old movie, "Mary, Queen of Scots" starring Katherine Hepburn. In one scene she was serenaded by her aide playing a Nahhat (with frets added)! OMG!

jdowning
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 8-8-2015 at 11:32 AM

Screen shots taken from the film 'Mary of Scotland' posted on YouTube (part 6) so not the best resolution.
Hollywood in 1936 did not make the most historically accurate films so the oud 'prop' must have been as close as they could get to a lute (the modern lute revival did not really 'take off' until the 1960's). Unfortunately those frets do not appear to be tied on so there must have been some consequential damage to the original fingerboard?

How can you tell it is a Nahat Richard?

[file]36197[/file] [file]36199[/file]
Dr. Oud
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 8-8-2015 at 05:51 PM

The shape, size, back, rose configuration, bridge, pegbox and pegs are all typical of an Ikwan or Abdo George Nahhat in my opinion anyway. The shams with the center bone inset was used ofter and in the original movie the eyun are the typical tree motif. The frets appear to be guitar type frets hammered into the fingerboard. I've seen worse. I don't understand why Hollywood didn't make a little more effort to find an Elizabethan lute, they're no rarer than a Nahhat. This same oud has appeared in another vintage movies, "Robin of Sherwood Forrest" with Errol Flynn.

Brian Prunka
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 8-8-2015 at 07:36 PM

This thing is probably still sitting in a prop room in hollywood somewhere.

Follow on Instagram
My oud music on YouTube
www.brianprunka.com

Pages:  1  2

Go To Top