Not logged in [Login - Register]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Mandole tunings, string gauges
ignatzh
Oud Lover

[*] posted on 1-22-2013 at 05:04 PM
Mandole tunings, string gauges

Sorry about the cross post, but I'm not getting much response concerning this issue on the general forums.

Mandole tunings

Since nobody has been helpful in my search for mandole strings, I'm going to try to put something together myself.

I've heard all sorts of nonsense about mandole tunings, and can't find a straight answer on the web. Not speaking French or Arabic is a big part of my problem, most likely. Most people who somehow end up with one of these instruments try to tune them like a guitar minus the high "e", which is of course incorrect insofar as Chaabi and similar Algerian styles are concerned. But that's where I hit a dead end. As I'm going to try to put together some string sets from Irish bouzouki and mandocello sets, it would be good to try to figure out what tunings are more or less traditional for the Algerian mandole so that I don't collapse the top.

If anybody has any contacts in Algeria or France and could help me out here, I'd be much appreciative. The instrument in question has a 25.5 scale length.

Since this instrument is equipped with quarter tone frets, I'd imagine that in at least some styles oud tunings are somehow approximated.

Thanks!
ignatzh
Oud Lover

[*] posted on 1-22-2013 at 07:14 PM

According to an Algerian source is D-AA-DD-GG, bass to high.

Given that and the dimensions of the instrument, any ideas?
teslim
Oud Junkie

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 1-22-2013 at 10:09 PM

would use low to high.035 wound-D---.021 wound A ---013 unwound -D--- .011 unwound G....
ignatzh
Oud Lover

[*] posted on 1-22-2013 at 10:12 PM

I'll give it a shot!

Thanks.

Any other ideas and ideas about other tunings also appreciated.

Joe
rootsguitar
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 1-23-2013 at 01:05 PM

I wish you much luck with your mandole-

I would like to share these ideas with you, though the exact circumstances are different.

One of my goals this winter has been to experiment with tunings and strings for a fretless lute.

Since I wanted to have the freedom of trying some set ups without using manufactured strings I used a spool of thick fishing line.

I value traditional tunings and resonating strings, I just thought that it might be interesting to try some ideas.

The important part was finding the tension that seemed to be just right for the wooden tuning pegs ( no gears on them).

The pegs worked best when their smooth operation was kept into consideration and very much influenced the over all rigging process.

( " ie. helped keep from over-working the overall bracing of this lute").

Also my goal was to rough out some tuning ideas, not nesc. with a finished tone.

Lately, leaving some pegs unstrung and creating space around some of the strings has been interesting as I focus more on slide tones .

Just ideas--I still have much to learn.

This tuning is DD-AD-D-D-AA-A-GD :

---best

[file]25565[/file]

Go To Top