Mike's Oud Forums
Not logged in [Login - Register]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Is It Really Necessary For A Lefty to Switch String Order?
niceiraqi1
Oud Admirer

Mood: Ambitious

[*] posted on 1-23-2013 at 08:57 PM
Is It Really Necessary For A Lefty to Switch String Order?

As a guitarist, I have found it absolutely necessary to change the order of a right-handed guitar for a left-handed person like me to play. This is largely due to the fact that you have to play chords in certain positions and it's an incredible chore to try and learn them in reverse. Also, string bending requires that you bend upwards and it won't really work with the higher strings.

However, the way I see it with Ouds is that chords are not really fundamental to the instrument, and there is no vertical bending that I know of. So other than that is there anything actually preventing me from simply learning to play a right-handed oud upside down? I had a lot of issues (pegs, string buzz, probably because I deviated from the standard peg positions) when I tried to restring it for a left-handed person.
ndeshpande
Oud Admirer

[*] posted on 1-23-2013 at 09:31 PM

Check it out!!! :xtreme:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z_ob6iFwojI

As you can see, its certainly possible.

Best of luck :)
rootsguitar
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 1-24-2013 at 08:30 PM

One sure way to improve anyone's musical skills is to challenge yourself and to set goals to strengthen whatever it is you think you could improve on...being a lefty may have it's influence on short term approaches to music, but I wonder if our long term perspectives are similar. Prove me wrong! I may take for granted my " right hand " lens. Just saying---life is pretty short, I'll make time to hear your music if there's something interesting you can bring to my ear---best wishes-------cool jam in that workshop btw, it's a whole different level to create these instruments too, ahya! I listen and try to take it all in----
Brian Prunka
Oud Junkie

Mood: Stringish

[*] posted on 1-24-2013 at 08:58 PM

I'll just point out that traditional Arabic oud technique is very reliant on the use of consecutive downstrokes (economy picking) and that many things that are normally played on the oud will require different techniques with the strings reversed. This may not necessarily be detrimental, but one might consider that the strings are the way they are for a reason.
For Turkish style, which tends to use more alternate picking and less tonal variation between upstrokes and downstrokes, it would be less of an issue I would think.

As that video shows, it is certainly do-able, though I would like to hear that play do some repertoire in tempo to hear how he deals with the picking issues.

YouTube lessons and resources

Follow on Instagram
My oud music on YouTube
www.brianprunka.com

My u2u inbox is over capacity, please contact me through my website
rootsguitar
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 1-24-2013 at 09:54 PM

btw Brian I find your oud music adventurous and cool----It will take me some time to hear more, but your ability to join forces with other musicians is a strong point as is your traditional compass--I will continue to re consider and re approach Oud traditions too, takes time I think, for things to sink in.

Technique is respected exactly because of the time it takes...weather with a saw/chisels or great sounds created on the strings.

-best regards
rudeog
Oud Addict

[*] posted on 2-8-2013 at 07:50 AM

Here is another lefty playing with the bass strings at the bottom:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Drj02y-rNCE

I am left handed myself, but decided when I first started playing guitar/bass to play right handed so that I didn't have to have special instruments or string layouts. My teacher is also left handed, but plays right handed (and he's amazing). I'm glad I did, as it allows me to pick up other peoples ouds etc and play them and vice versa. I do sometimes wonder though if my right hand technique would ever approach that of a "righty" with same experience. On the other hand (if you'll pardon the pun), I have tried strumming with my left hand, and it just feels awkward at this point.

Go To Top