Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Early European music/Medieval/Renaissance" etc
catty
Oud Addict

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 1-25-2013 at 11:50 AM
Early European music/Medieval/Renaissance" etc

Can folks help direct me to where I might find more resources for such--as pertains to oud, of course

For example: http://www.allmusic.com/album/lart-de-luth-au-moyen-%C3ge-mw0001817...

Here, Guy Robert is the (oud) player. I believe most of his canon is performed on lute, however

Any websites, forums, or links to resources would be helpful

Thanks!
rootsguitar
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 1-27-2013 at 11:21 PM

http://www.lutesociety.org/

in the issue ( #103 I think)

There is an interview with a Lute player who has chosen to focus on this, and has also had instruments built based on archaic stone carvings.

He also played lute music at a noteworthy oud event in Tunisia.

The part that seemed important from the interview was that medieval lute music is in some ways recreated by conjecture of what " may have been" while Oud music is a tradition that has enjoyed a more solid foundation of " this is what has been."

There may be much more about the oud from the Lute Society as well...I have only recently subscribed to their publications.
jdowning
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 1-28-2013 at 07:40 AM

The written evidence for lute music (tablature) survives from the beginning of the 16th C. Lute tablature gives precise 'fingering' and so is a guide to performance (together with some written instruction) on that instrument. No lutes survive from the mediaeval period (prior to the 16th C) so one has to rely upon the (unreliable) early iconography for some evidence of what the early lutes may have looked like.

No ouds survive prior to the 19th C and the culture is largely an oral (unwritten) tradition. As with the lute, musical tastes and regional preferences have also very likely changed for the oud over the centuries. So I would suggest that attempting to recreate oud music of the mediaeval period is as much, or even more conjecture of what may have been than it is for the lute?

Beware of possible unfounded claims of 'authenticity of performance' from the early music fraternity!

Here attached is a thought provoking paper by Jeremy Montagu about recreating the musical past through period instruments. It refers primarily to European instruments and musical culture but could apply equally to the oud and related instruments and music of the middle east.
Among other things Jeremy was part founder of FoMRHI. The past FoMRHI publications are now available for free download on-line (up to 2010) so may be of some interest (Google search)

[file]25619[/file]
catty
Oud Addict

[*] posted on 1-28-2013 at 09:53 AM

Much thanks
rootsguitar
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 1-29-2013 at 04:30 AM

Great reading--I plan to chk the FoMRHI publications too.
jdowning
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 1-30-2013 at 09:06 AM

I note that the freely available copies of FoMRHI on line are about 2 years behind the times - no doubt so that those of us who regularly submit research papers and have to pay membership fees in order to do so - at least feel that there is some incentive for new members to join and so help to keep FoMRHI financially viable even if they do not contribute articles (Comms.). Note that individual issues of FoMRHI can be purchased individually by members and non members alike for £4 sterling post included to anywhere in the world.

For information, the complete up to date index of Comms can be found here:

http://stremen.home.xs4all.nl/fomrhi_i.html
catty
Oud Addict

[*] posted on 1-30-2013 at 08:00 PM

Thank you so much for that link.
catty
Oud Addict

[*] posted on 2-19-2013 at 10:10 AM

In addition to the Guy Robert and Perceval disc - L'Art de Luth au Moyen Age,
I've acquired:

Eduardo Paniagua - Danza Medievales Espanolas
Hespèrion XXI/Jordi Savall - Orient-Occident

Any other recommendations in this vein are appreciated
jshead
Oud Junkie

Mood: Peace

[*] posted on 2-19-2013 at 02:57 PM

Nicely writen article. My understanding is that there are one or two ancient instruments in the Cairo Antiquities Museum. One is a Nay. It apparantly has exactly the same hole placement and shape as modern nay. It has been sealed up for great long time.

Go To Top