Not logged in [Login - Register]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Sallaneh
Bodhi
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 2-4-2013 at 01:01 PM
Sallaneh

This instrument "invented" recently by Hossein Alizadeh strikes me as basically a Lavta/Turkish tambur cross breed.

Anyway I thought I would share this recording and see what others think of the sound.

Here is the entire record 'Sallaneh' by Ostad Alizadeh as a stream. (the Dastgahs given are incorrect, but its not so important regarding this conversation)

http://www.persianpersia.com/music/p/enakissa.php?artistid=113&...

And some pics of the instrument

Besides the discussion of the instrument, I think this is possibly one of his best solo performances. His usual quite abrupt style, which tends to race along and then drop back tempo suddenly from the get-go, is replaced by a more languid and relaxed movement towards a climax. It isn't that I don't enjoy his virtuosity normally but I do feel he goes places too quickly which is quite, dare I say, boring! This record reminds me of Ostad Lotfi in the respect of him carrying the Gushe-ha in a dignified way between each other, and not rushing to finish, but just letting the dastgah express itself in the form it wishes to be in the moment. This does lead him to linger on the Gushe longer than is expected, but like I say, I like that.

enjoy

check out my barbat for sale if you haven't already http://www.mikeouds.com/messageboard/viewthread.php?tid=13691

[file]25738[/file] [file]25740[/file] [file]25742[/file]
Khalid_Salé
Oud Maniac

[*] posted on 2-4-2013 at 02:36 PM

Yes I love this album and this instrument! The album sleeve gives the track titles and dastgahs as:

1. Mahtab (Esfahan)
2. Pegah (Segah)
3. Aftab (Bayat e Kord)
4. Shamgah (Afshari)

They seem to be in a different order in the link, and the Segah track is incomplete.

It is Siamak Afshari who invented it rather than Alizadeh himself, I think. (Again, that's what the CD notes say, anyway.) I would say it is a truly new instrument because the sympathetic strings give it a different sound from similar Persian and Turkish instruments. It is very warm and full. I'd like to have one, but I suspect one would have to get one custom made for a gajillion dollars or so.

Go To Top