Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: old turkish tuning
hartun
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 2-9-2013 at 03:49 PM
old turkish tuning

hello everyone,

my old 78s of armenian american musicians playing armenian and turkish music, for some reason are all in Ab...i am speaking of typical folk songs that are in "a minor" typically....is it possible that in the ottoman era the note A was tuned a whole half step lower and corresponds to modern western A flat?? I thought at first it could be different recording speeds of 78 records but there were too many of these A flat tonics to be a coincidence.
Brian Prunka
Oud Junkie

Mood: Stringish

[*] posted on 2-9-2013 at 05:07 PM

I don't know about Turkish, but many old Arabic recordings are also a half or whole step lower than current "concert tuning".

YouTube lessons and resources

Follow on Instagram
My oud music on YouTube
www.brianprunka.com

My u2u inbox is over capacity, please contact me through my website
fernandraynaud
Oud Junkie

Mood: m'Oudy

[*] posted on 2-10-2013 at 04:22 AM

The A=440 standard is actually quite recent. It has slowly crept up over the last two centuries, in "concert hall" setting, and it's not at all unusual for older recordings to be referenced to a lower pitch, if even referenced at all.
jdowning
Oud Junkie

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 2-10-2013 at 05:10 AM

Presumably the old 78 recordings were made prior to 1950? In which case the ouds would have been strung with gut trebles and wound basses on silk or gut core. Gut cannot be taken to as high a pitch as modern plastic strings (nylon or PVF) without frequent breakage - so need to be about a tone lower than A440 (or only a semitone for the risk takers).
The old ouds presumably were designed to give best acoustical performance at these lower pitch standards of the pre-nylon string days.

As fernandraynaud mentions, concert A440 pitch is modern. It was first proposed and adopted as an international standard in 1939, in a conference held in Germany, replacing of a couple of earlier attempts in the 19th C (a low and high pitch standard). However, even the 1939 standard was not fully verified until quite recently (1960's or 70's - I can't remember off hand?) as World War 2 got in the way of any 'progress'.
In any case I doubt if the oudists of that era would be concerned with pitch standards for solo oud performance - they would just tune the instrument so that it sounded best at a comfortable string tension.

Go To Top