Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: New oud player here
davec
Oud Admirer

[*] posted on 2-15-2013 at 06:08 AM
New oud player here

Hi,
I'm a new oud player, so I thought I'd say hello and introduce myself here.

I live in the south coast of the UK, and just started playing the oud a month ago or so. I've played classical guitar as a hobby for quite a few years, but playing this instrument is something else entirely so far!

Am very much enjoying it, though I have a lot to learn (and hope to look for a teacher either near here or in London soon).

I'm also left-handed (which is always a pain...), but found an instrument which was symmetrically made to restring as lefty, with the help of Michael Moussa (he was kind enough to demonstrate many ouds via skype for me, since I was unable to view them in person).

I've posted some pictures of the oud below, it sounds wonderful (well, when I manage to play the right notes...), and looks great too, I hope my playing will be able to do it justice some day.

Nice to meet you all,
Dave

[file]25836[/file] [file]25837[/file] [file]25838[/file]
Alexi_OUD
Oud Addict

[*] posted on 2-15-2013 at 03:51 PM

Welcome my friend. :))
markus
Oud Maniac

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 2-15-2013 at 03:54 PM

welcome Dave to the forum
I tried to post a reply earlier but it did not go through- anyhow congratulations for having the latest hit of Mikhail effendi ABu Mina who hybernates as he does then come back with a shocking creation whether an oud or music.
I have got almost ther same oud like yours both being replicas of Khalil Algohari the maker of Sunbati and Mekawy ouds. This style is addictive and haunting with deep tinge of sprituality and sofism. Play it in good health and start saving for the next!!!
here are some fotos of mine
+ a link of the oud played by Heshmat
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OfhFFtOs15w

[file]25842[/file] [file]25844[/file]
fadel
Oud Junkie

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 2-15-2013 at 06:00 PM

hi

Welcome my friend

salam

View user's profile Visit user's homepage View All Posts By User This user has MSN Messenger
Arabesque999
Oud Lover

[*] posted on 2-16-2013 at 12:55 AM

Chance comes to the prepared mind
Chance comes to who deserves... unfortunately these 2 wise sayings do not apply to me. I have spotted this awesome oud in the Greenwich Early Music Exhibition, listened to Michael playing it is his unforgettable presentation, and even tried it myself- but for my so many sins especially the greed I got distracted by another wonderful 7 course Lethy style oud of his. While I was searching the web, getting feedbacks and calculating the probabilities both have gone one after the other.
Lucky man Dave congratulations fot this majestic oud!! hope it would be the best horse for the best knight
To fellow members of the forum my sincere advice do not think twice with Moussa`s oud just hit and run. as promised I some of the fotos of the Greenwich event
including yours lucky dave
[file]25848[/file]

THE GUY FROM THE PAST
Oud Lover

[*] posted on 2-18-2013 at 12:56 AM
New oud player here

Hello Dave
Welcome home and well done for grabbing the chance abducting this cute little lefty- how do you tune it?
Very curious to know the effect of inverting the strings.
Arabesque I say we all have done the same- you have not missed the chance, Michael though underproducing, is still active hopefully for many more years to come- years are adding to his masterhood. He is a very exhibitionist luthier and loves to see his ouds played and tested and in one of his presentation he hanged a board saying
Polite notice
no serious buyers come on
time waster welcome
the guy
davec
Oud Admirer

[*] posted on 2-19-2013 at 03:43 AM

Thanks to all for the kind greetings, I feel very welcome here already.

the guy: I've tuned it CFADGC, as I'm currently learning from Marina's book, but I'm sure I'll try some others eventually. Taking some advice from elsewhere (I forget exactly), I've skipped using the peg closest to the nut, use the next peg along in each case, so that I can exactly mirror the peg layout for a right-handed oud.

Go To Top