Printable Version  
Author: Subject: questions on maqam and music theory
palestine48
Oud Junkie

Mood: Free Palestine

[*] posted on 11-16-2004 at 03:55 PM
questions on maqam and music theory

questions on maqam and music theory

Hey guys I was wondering if anyone can help me with some maqam and music theory. I’ve been reading as much as possible but sometimes the information can be too much to handle in one sitting and also probably hearing explained in conversational language will help me see it more clearly. For some questions I'm asking, I know a partial answer to but I’m going to play dumb so it can be explained clearly to me and so I wont get lost. I have a very limited understanding of music theory. So here goes my barrage of questions.

1.) How do u distinguish between a minor and a major scale and how are these scales applied to maqams?

2.) How are maqams constructed? Is there a formula or is it more historical and based on various cultural issues.

a. While learning maqams, what is the best way or only way of learning them? Is it just a matter of memorizing or is it about understanding how they are put together.

b. I know if 2 maqams start on the same tonic, they are different because the middle notes are different, but how can I understand why they are different. (I think this may be a repeat of question 2 and 2a combined)

I hope someone or all of you can answer these questions for me because when I go through my lessons I feel like I don’t see the big picture. I just feel like I’m doing what I am told to do. I read Maqam World but would like to hear the explanation from fellow board members. Thanks. I appreciate it

Rami
mavrothis
Oud Junkie

Mood: big band envy

[*] posted on 11-17-2004 at 03:50 AM

Hi,

Maybe some of the explanations on my site will help - Oud Cafe - I focus mostly on Ottoman music, but basic maqam structure is similar for both Ottoman and Arabic music. Take a look there, and feel free to ask me or anyone else here for more info. if it doesn't answer your questions.

I also have a link to a nice music theory site that explains major/minor differences for you in a nice way I think. Go to "Oud Basics" and to Major/Minor pages.

Take care,

mav

http://www.mtkontanis-music.com

"...desirable and comfortable as culture may be, an artist should not lie down in it. "
--Edgard Varèse
palestine48
Oud Junkie

Mood: Free Palestine

[*] posted on 11-17-2004 at 10:37 AM

Thanks Mav I appreciate your help. Im getting a slightly better understanding but I would love to peoples input through their words. If anyone is willing to make the sacrafice of time I would appreciate your generosity.

Rami

Go To Top