Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Iraqi oud: strings for CFADGC tuning
smast
Oud Addict

[*] posted on 3-25-2013 at 05:11 AM
Iraqi oud: strings for CFADGC tuning

Hi there,
I've just got hold of a Munir Bashir style oud (62cm scale length) and I'm hoping to lose the high F and tune it in C Arabic tuning.
Does anyone have any string recommendations, please? My previous Oud was an Egyptian one so this is pretty new territory for me and I don't know if I need to buy longer strings/different tension because of the different bridge.
Any advice woul be much appreciated :-) thanks
Brian Prunka
Oud Junkie

Mood: Stringish

[*] posted on 3-25-2013 at 06:35 AM

When you say Munir Bashir style, you mean floating bridge, correct?

62cm is pretty long for a floating bridge (most are 58-59cm), it may be a slight challenge getting long enough strings--you need some extra length on a floating bridge.

The lute strings from Savarez or Pyramid would work, as they are 1m in length.

Floating bridges can accommodate higher tensions, but it isn't necessary to use higher tension. Many pro oud players, like Tarik Benbrahim or Rahim al Haj use light tension on floating bridge ouds. Even a light set will have a moderate amount of tension on your oud due to the relatively long scale length.

As a general idea, higher tensions start to sound more "guitar-like", but they also allow you to play a bit louder.

I'm fairly certain that the Kurschner strings wouldn't work on such a long oud. LaBella might.

YouTube lessons and resources

Follow on Instagram
My oud music on YouTube
www.brianprunka.com

My u2u inbox is over capacity, please contact me through my website
smast
Oud Addict

[*] posted on 3-25-2013 at 11:02 AM

Hello Brian,
Many thanks for your help. Yes, I meant floating bridge. After playing in F-F tuning today, I rather like having the high F! I only got it yesterday and assumed I'd want to continue with C-C but I might stick with what the instrument is designed for. I'll check the scale length as well, as I'm just going on what I was told. I'm assuming you measure from the nut to the bridge.... It's a pretty standard Iraqi oud made by Michael Moussa, here in the UK, so I wouldn't have thought it would be too idiosyncratic.
Thanks again!

Go To Top