Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: cumbus extra
davehill
Oud Admirer

[*] posted on 3-29-2013 at 07:21 AM
cumbus extra

Hello dear forum members!

Does anyone know the difference between the light and dark coloured neck on the cumbus?
Which material is it made from?
What's the difference in sound, feel?

The sandi company also offers a sweet cumbus extra

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Saadettin-SANDI-Bahadir-SANDI-HANDMADE-WOOD...

check this baby out!

I'm really tempted

I'm still hesitating if I should buy an original cumbus extra or the sandi version

Anyone who wants to share their experience with this interesting instrument please do!

regards

David
rudeog
Oud Addict

[*] posted on 4-9-2013 at 06:53 AM

I have the regular oud cumbus.
It's fun to play, but takes a bit of getting used to metal strings (you have to fret harder). It resonates nicely. I have it hanging in my studio, and sometimes when I am playing something else, I will hear the cumbus resonate as it hangs there. It's almost like having an old-school reverb unit :-)

The one thing to bear in mind is a small design flaw which everyone I know who has an oud cumbus has reported. The neck is not aligned perfectly perpendicular to the body resulting in the high string near the body actually going very near the edge of the instrument. You can fix it by putting a small metal shim under the hinge where the neck meets the body.

Also, you can get a cool whammy bar effect if you pull on the neck while sustaining a note :-)

Go To Top