Mike's Oud Forums
Not logged in [Login - Register]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Faruk Türünz - My New Oud - Varnish & French Polish?
oudy allen
Oud Maniac

[*] posted on 4-1-2013 at 02:22 PM
Faruk Türünz - My New Oud - Varnish & French Polish?

Hello guys,

Last week I have ordered one of the reduced price arabic ouds from master Faruk Türünz. Look here: http://www.oudmaster.com/quality/index.htm

Mr. Türünz told me that it would take approximately two months to build and send the oud as the demand for his instruments is apparently high. I am already very excited since a lot of oud players speak very highly of Mr. Türünz' ouds.

He told me that the he only was able to offer these reduced ouds because they would not be french polished as the other ones he is selling for the regular price. He said that the reduced ouds was varnished instead.

What experiences have you made with varnished and french polished ouds? Have you noticed any differences in sound quality? I am wondering since I have absolutely no idea how both techniques differ from each other.

I would be very grateful for your explanations!
hamed
Oud Junkie

Mood: Iss'al rouhak

[*] posted on 4-2-2013 at 07:12 AM

Hi there
There should be no difference in sound since Mr. Turunz leaves the face of the oud with no finish, the French polish or varnish issue only pertains to the back / bowl of the oud. It seems to me that it would only be a cosmetic issue.
I hope this helps you.
David
oudy allen
Oud Maniac

[*] posted on 4-2-2013 at 12:05 PM

Hello hamed, hello oudistcamp,

I'd like to say thank you to both of you. Well, Mr. Turunz more or less said the same but I wanted to get further impressions from people who might have played his varnished and/or french polished ouds. I didn't know that french polishing was that costly since I'm a newbie as to varnishes and polishes. I am already very curious about my new oud but unfortunately it will take some time until I get the insrument. Once I receive the oud, I'm going to post some pictures and clips to give you an impression. ;)

Best Regards!
hamed
Oud Junkie

Mood: Iss'al rouhak

[*] posted on 4-2-2013 at 12:14 PM

Another difference from concert or grand concert ouds is that the reduced price point oud uses a template for bracing (as i understand) instead of tuning the individual braces. Either way I think the reduced price point oud is the best deal around. You are getting a world class professional instrument for a fraction of the price.
oudy allen
Oud Maniac

[*] posted on 4-2-2013 at 01:08 PM

Hi hamed,

yes, I'd only heard the best of Faruk Turunz ouds and therefore I decided to get one of his reduced price point ouds. I might have choosen one of his regular instruments but currently I am a poor student and my budget is quite restricted. :) Maybe some day in future I'll get another french polished Turunz oud. Who knows? :)

Go To Top