Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Gig in London
Giorgioud
Oud Junkie

Mood: Oudbsessed

[*] posted on 4-4-2013 at 08:11 PM
Gig in London

Dear London-based oud lovers,
I would like to inform you that my project, called "Mezrab" (a duo consisting of me on oud and a great tabla player, Shumon Chakraborty, classicaly trained in the Benares tradition) will be playing a gig on Friday the 19th of April at the Vibe Bar (address 91-95 Brick Lane, London E1 6OL, tel. 020 7247 3479, nearest tube Bethnal Green and/or Liverpool Street). We'll be on at 8.00 PM. Entrance fee £5.
We also almost finished our album, which will be out very soon on my label Human Spray Records. We need to give it a final mix and we are working on cover, website, etc.
I just wanna post a little preview. Rough mixes, not even the definitive versions, but it should give a little idea on what kind of stuff it is. They are all original pieces (that is, composed by us). Needless to say, it is not traditional. I hope some of you will enjoy it.
https://soundcloud.com/mezrabduo
Hope to see you at the Vibe Bar on the 19th.
Thanks and take care
Giorgio

P.S. I am also interested, in the near future, to put out records by other oudists I regard as significant. In particular, I am interested in checking out a great London-based Somali oudist/singer called Mohammed Ismail, aka Hudeidi. He is quite advanced in age, and, as far as I know, hasn't released anything yet (please correct me if I am wrong on this point). The gentleman in question is a soulful oud player, a walking encyclopaedia of Somali oud music, and a valid author in his own right. I am quite concerned that, one day hopefully very far away, with his demise (and that of Somali musicians of his generation) a large chunk of this great music will be forgotten. I would like to give him the opportunity to record and release something, once I have recouped the expenses for my album (albums. I have also a solo release coming up). This way, his music will be preserved for posterity. He really is a great artist, and besides I (and a vast number of people on this forum) really love Somali oud music. It deserves to be transmitted to future generations.
The question is: does anybody know how to get in touch with him or with someone connected with him somehow? I heard he was teaching in a cultural centre in Fulham. Maybe somebody knows the contact details of said centre?
Thanks in advance
David Parfitt
Oud Junkie

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 4-4-2013 at 11:15 PM

Hi Giorgio

Maybe you could look into recording something by Tolga Bektas, who is based in Southampton? See here:

http://www.mikeouds.com/messageboard/viewthread.php?tid=12878#pid87...

http://www.southampton.ac.uk/management/about/staff/tb12v07.page

All the best

David

Giorgioud
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 4-5-2013 at 01:29 AM

Thanks for the tip David. I have duly taken note
Ararat66
Oud Junkie

Mood: mellow yellow

[*] posted on 4-5-2013 at 10:11 AM

Hello Giorgio

You're sounding really good there - just had a quick listen and it is great to hear how much your oud playing has progressed. I'll have a proper listen again later.

Great stuff

Leon
Giorgioud
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 4-14-2013 at 07:18 PM

Leon,
thank you so much for your appreciation. It means a lot to me
You were the one who gave me unvaluable tips when
i was still groping in the dark. Try to come down on Friday,
It would be great to see you.
Take care
Giorgio
littleseb
Oud Junkie

Mood: high

[*] posted on 4-15-2013 at 03:52 AM

Quote: Originally posted by Giorgioud  
Dear London-based oud lovers,
I would like to inform you that my project, called "Mezrab" (a duo consisting of me on oud and a great tabla player, Shumon Chakraborty, classicaly trained in the Benares tradition) will be playing a gig on Friday the 19th of April at the Vibe Bar (address 91-95 Brick Lane, London E1 6OL, tel. 020 7247 3479, nearest tube Bethnal Green and/or Liverpool Street). We'll be on at 8.00 PM. Entrance fee £5.
We also almost finished our album, which will be out very soon on my label Human Spray Records. We need to give it a final mix and we are working on cover, website, etc.
I just wanna post a little preview. Rough mixes, not even the definitive versions, but it should give a little idea on what kind of stuff it is. They are all original pieces (that is, composed by us). Needless to say, it is not traditional. I hope some of you will enjoy it.
https://soundcloud.com/mezrabduo
Hope to see you at the Vibe Bar on the 19th.
Thanks and take care
Giorgio

P.S. I am also interested, in the near future, to put out records by other oudists I regard as significant. In particular, I am interested in checking out a great London-based Somali oudist/singer called Mohammed Ismail, aka Hudeidi. He is quite advanced in age, and, as far as I know, hasn't released anything yet (please correct me if I am wrong on this point). The gentleman in question is a soulful oud player, a walking encyclopaedia of Somali oud music, and a valid author in his own right. I am quite concerned that, one day hopefully very far away, with his demise (and that of Somali musicians of his generation) a large chunk of this great music will be forgotten. I would like to give him the opportunity to record and release something, once I have recouped the expenses for my album (albums. I have also a solo release coming up). This way, his music will be preserved for posterity. He really is a great artist, and besides I (and a vast number of people on this forum) really love Somali oud music. It deserves to be transmitted to future generations.
The question is: does anybody know how to get in touch with him or with someone connected with him somehow? I heard he was teaching in a cultural centre in Fulham. Maybe somebody knows the contact details of said centre?
Thanks in advance

I live 5 mins walk from the Vibe Bar, so might well come. Got other commitments that day, but I'll see how I can squeeze things in.

Xudeidi is one of the greatest Somali oudists. He ives in Fulham, afaik. I got his number if you want it. PM me.

Also - I run a studio in east London. Let me know if you need to do recordings at very reasonable rates. All top-end gear in there and a great sounding room, esp for accoustic stuff (ouds, perc, etc).

Hope to see you play this Friday!
Giorgioud
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 4-15-2013 at 03:12 PM

Littleseb,
Hello there! If you decide to come, would you like me to put you on the guest list plus one? I'd love to check your studio by the way... ..
Jono Oud N.Z
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 4-15-2013 at 10:26 PM

Nice playing and music:applause:
Ararat66
Oud Junkie

Mood: mellow yellow

[*] posted on 4-16-2013 at 12:28 AM

Hi Giorgio

I'm glad I was of help, I know I can't get to London Friday but we should keep in touch, musical conversations and all that - life is busy - I need parallel lives :-)

Have a great gig.

Cheers

Leon
littleseb
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 4-16-2013 at 02:24 AM

Quote: Originally posted by Giorgioud  
Littleseb,
Hello there! If you decide to come, would you like me to put you on the guest list plus one? I'd love to check your studio by the way... ..

that would be good! i'll be in touch before fri.

thanx!
Giorgioud
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 4-16-2013 at 07:40 PM

Jono: thank you so much for that, you were also another
of thosr kind souls always ready for encouragement, so i am really chuffed. Moreover, i seem to gather you have very eclectic tastes: very cool.

Littleseb: no worries, it would be my pleasure and honour, double-checked with the promoter just a couple of hours ago and the guest list has your name on it (plus one of course). Give us a shout to confirm and remember we are on at 8.00 pm :-(

Leon: shame you cannot make it. I agree with you, spare time is a rare commodity,nay, a luxury. Hope we can hook up soon in another equally musical circumstance. Long overdue.

Take care you all Giorgio
MatthewW
Oud Junkie

Mood: Al Salam

[*] posted on 4-17-2013 at 02:46 AM

all the best with the gig Giorgio. By the way, did you ever get to study oud outside the UK as planned?
littleseb
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 4-17-2013 at 07:31 AM

8pm suits me fine, we'll be there. thank you!

Go To Top