Mike's Oud Forums
Not logged in [Login - Register]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Paper-mache case for lute?
antekboodzik
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 4-10-2013 at 04:33 AM
Paper-mache case for lute?

Dears,
Is it possible to make a lute case from paper mache over a mold? I realize it would be rather very basic protection, but should work better that gig-bags. Or ma it be a good idea to use strong card to make a case?

I covered lute mold I have used for building my instrument with 1cm PE (PET) foam. The cover overlaps the base plate also, which should give an extra 1cm "depth" to the inner space inside case. It woukld be nice to use plywood or wood to create "shell" of a case, but it is out of my possibilities to bend it on my (very small and simple) bending iron. But maybe a coat of paper-mache, then some cardboard, or even modern, thin veeners, and another layer of paper mache shoud make a stable "bowl"?

Did You do anything from paper mache? I didn't. So please, any suggestions are welcome.

[file]26608[/file] [file]26610[/file]
jdowning
Oud Junkie

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 4-10-2013 at 05:31 AM

Papier- mache is an old established method of fabrication and should be a perfectly acceptable material for making a strong and light lute case - paper and cardboard are after all made from wood fibres. The case can be made as thick as you like - built up from several layers of paper or cardboard.

You will need to figure out how you will treat the mold so that the case can be released from the mold on completion. Usually a mold would be coated with wax or something similar to prevent the glue in the papier-mache from sticking but that would not seem to be an option for your design of mold? Perhaps covering the mold with kitchen plastic 'Kling Film' might work?

Some additional reinforcement of the edges of the lid and case may be necessary for durability for which thin bent wood strips glued in place might be used.

The completed case might then be given finishing and protective coats of paint/varnish or covered with cloth/leather.

You should find a lot of practical information on the Internet about working with papier-mache.

You might find some information here to be of interest in designing and finishing the rest of your case

http://www.mikeouds.com/messageboard/viewthread.php?tid=4971#pid821...
antekboodzik
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 5-12-2013 at 11:47 PM

Here is my previously made "box" case for my instrument. It is made out of plywood with wooden reinforcements in the corners, covered with artificial leather. The inside is from ordinary foamed styrene, but covered with paper and felt straps. The paper lining and felt were glued in place with flour.

However it is very strong (I guess I can sit on it with no worry about the instrument), several details was arranged impropertly. With that I mean, that some features (like "hidden" hinges and some reinforcements) were not very clever and succesfully done, and made certain difficulties when I was fitting the filling, so the case is not so perfect it could be.

And also it weights 10 times more that the lute and it is quite unpractical when carrying :)

[file]26719[/file] [file]26721[/file] [file]26723[/file] [file]26725[/file] [file]26727[/file]
antekboodzik
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 5-13-2013 at 12:18 AM

And here is my paper lute case built over the mold figured at my first post with this thread :)

Well, I proved that lute case can be made this way... I would rather not recommend air travels with it, or use it with really valuable instruments, but it is serviceable. And again, it was the very first project for me, and many details could be made better. I wonder if making such a case from wood would take me more time.

For this case I used several techniques, but it all could be shortly described as laying a few layers of newspaper glued with flour, then a layer of cardboard, and again several layers of newspaper, but glued with PVA glue. I think If I was using pva glue only, it should produce stronger "bowl". The last, coloured layers are... napkins :) A leather strap is a simple hinge. The case is roughly painted with shellac (yet). The inside is lined with fabric. All surfaces, that might be in contact with the instrument, are glued with flour glue. The finished case weights 1.7 kilograms. Well, I don't know if it was worth time investment. However it was very "fast" case.

The "flour" glue I used was a potato starch mixed with water and poured into boiling water just like they make kissel, but made thicker. I found it very nice, once in future I would use it for making a instrument, along with papier-mache bowl :D

[file]26729[/file] [file]26731[/file] [file]26733[/file] [file]26735[/file] [file]26737[/file] [file]26739[/file] [file]26741[/file]

Go To Top