Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Oriental" de E.Granados
Arabesque999
Oud Lover

[*] posted on 4-14-2013 at 10:36 AM
Oriental" de E.Granados

Dear fellow oudis
I have come across this very interesting dialogue of an oud and a lute together playing the famous oriental dance by Granados
Tell me what you think
Here is the link
http://youtu.be/RvNafFhMcvU
Enjoy
Arabesque
markus
Oud Maniac

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 4-15-2013 at 01:18 PM
Kostia de ukraine

For some years, I have been following Kostia`s work as the greatest flamenco guitarist of Ukraine- but I never knew that he he has gone that far with the oud. What is astonishing here is the feebleness and pallor of the lute compared to grandiosity of the oud which I thought to be a bass one but it turned up to be just Al lethy replica by Mikhail effendi Abu Mina FKA as Michael Moussa
GrecoEgyptian
THE GUY FROM THE PAST
Oud Lover

[*] posted on 4-16-2013 at 09:42 PM

I totally agree, GrecoEgyptian, the oud sounded extremely bassy giving the feel of a double bass in the background. It did not show well in the clip but as Arabesque mentioned it is Michael`s Al Lethy replica which was confirmed by Kostia himself on the U-tube. I have been in touch with Michael asking about the length of the course and the size of the bowl that can produce such a huge bass but an expectedly the course was just 58.5.
As a first time ever oudist on theatre, I think Kostia has done a great job
the guy from the past
narciso
Oud Addict

Mood: caleta

[*] posted on 4-23-2013 at 10:46 PM
Oud recordings; Spanish composers

Am looking for recorded Oud arrangements for Tarrega, Albeniz, Granados, Falla and the like
Does anyone have a particularly good recommendations on 'seminal' examples I wonder?

As a guitarist, I've grown up with pieces like Tarrega's Capriccio Arabe.
But as I find out more about Oud maqams etc, I wonder to what extent an Oud player would consider that kind of piece a sort of 'sanitized' pastiche, for better or for worse
nile pirate
Oud Addict

[*] posted on 4-26-2013 at 02:21 AM

Hola Amigo Naeciso
Before answering your query I would like to salute Kostia for coming up with such an impressive taqssim on his first ever oud performance- not forgetting to raise the hat to Usta Moussa for such a wonderful concert oud that dominated the theatre-
Many oud player have tried their luck on spanish pieces as a lot of the flamenco works have a dominant line with little harmony on top, among these are Farid al Atrash and Abadi Al Johar, here is one link that could be interesting to you
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&list=PL3...
narciso
Oud Addict

Mood: caleta

[*] posted on 5-24-2013 at 03:34 AM

Thanks for the link ! Abadi Al Johar has a great hybrid thing going on with the right hand !
Kostia from Ukraine
Oud Admirer

[*] posted on 5-16-2019 at 06:10 AM
Greetings from Ukraine

Hi All,

Thanks so much for warm appraisals on my work!
I appreciate them very much!
Especially I am pleased to know I am known by flamenco and oud together to someone )))

I use standard arabic tuning for oud, but I select strings manually myself calculated by tension. Most of them are guitar strings of various types. First strings are our strings.

Our is indeed a mentioned replica from Mike, but the sound might not be the same as one of the original. I was chosing the instrument by sound rather then by replica type.

And yes, it is important to have a proper sound to play Andalusi music compared to Arabian music. Andalusi music is a bit lighter, and use a lot of standard classic music scales. Hence, it is a bit different to Arabic sounding of the sound. It should be of lighter sound, hence, it might use somewhat different strings.

As for music, Tarrega's capriccho is absolutely not an arabic music.
Just a fantasy.

For spanish sounding it is better to listen to various Andalus music projects. I highly appreciate Omar Metioui's oud sounding a highest standard for "Spanish" (i.e. Andalus) oud music.

A nice bass you hear on my video is just a sound engenering defect on a video :) )))

Just in case you need anything from me, drop me an email via YouTube

Go To Top