Printable Version  
Author: Subject: New to Oud New to Music
nishantsagar
Oud Admirer

[*] posted on 5-7-2013 at 04:34 AM
New to Oud New to Music

Hi,

Hope you all enjoyed the holidays!

Good to see the forum online again.. i was waiting since the start of the holidays.. got an oud as a gift and now i am trying to find a way to learn how to play it..

1. I don't know anything about music (surfed online past few days and got to know basic points about music theory like staff, clefs, etc. but still no clue how i will actually read notes and play them)

2. Never played any instruments

3. Want to learn so that i can play my favourite tunes (indian music) when i actually learn it

4. Can you guide me? Where to begin and how to move ahead?

5. My oud has total 9 strings (i live in Egypt and it was bought here) 4 pairs and 1 single.

6. No clue how to tune it (i read that the normal would be DGAdgc and some other starting from C but no idea how to do it actually; as i understand it so far i have to tune it such that each string plays its corresponding note. but all articles i have come across so far talk about 11 or 13 strings while i only have 9 so do i need to omit something?)

7. I tried to learn about basic music first, english, arabic and indian classical but find everything confusing and don't know where to begin.

8. i know i sound very confusing and i really am as of now. sorry for the trouble but please help me.

any input will be helpful.

thanks,

nishant

Greg
Administrator

Mood: Serene

[*] posted on 5-7-2013 at 04:19 PM

Hello Nishant, welcome to the forums.

Back in the days when many Arabic players used just five courses (nine strings), they were usually tuned gadgc (low to high).

I think the first thing you will need to do is to find a teacher. As you are in Egypt, finding an oud teacher should not be difficult.

Also, please read the FAQs thread http://www.mikeouds.com/messageboard/viewthread.php?tid=6809

Regards,

Greg
nishantsagar
Oud Admirer

[*] posted on 5-9-2013 at 02:01 AM

Hello Greg,

thanks for ur reply.. I went thru the faq page n the links there.. but like u say i think i will need a teacher first at this stage.. will start looking for one.. :)
Giorgioud
Oud Junkie

Mood: Oudbsessed

[*] posted on 5-29-2013 at 08:01 PM

dear Nishant,
welcome. i just wanted to advise you on the tuning of your oud. as you rightly guessed, any tuning involving the thick C string is strictly for a 6 or 7 course (11 or 13 strings) oud. your 5 course (9 strings) oud necessitates of a different tuning. that is actually my favourite tuning ever, much used by the giants of the oud in the past, and it is very versatile. although i have ouds tuned in different ways, when i perform i often make a point of using a 5 course tuning. i love it. so, from thinnest to thickest string (nylon strings written in lower case, wound strings in capital letters):
cc, gg, DD, AA and the thickest string you can tune it according to the key of the piece and the style. generally D (like Algerian/Tunisian/Chaabi style), or E (like Lebanese style), or F (like Egyptian/Syrian style), or G (like Greek/also Arabic style). having a lone string (which is called "bamm" or drone string) makes it easier to tune if you are performing pieces in different keys. the tunings i have described are the only ones you can apply on a 5 course oud. i hope this helps a little
nishantsagar
Oud Admirer

[*] posted on 6-9-2013 at 06:52 AM

Hello Giorgioud,

Thanks for your post and for suggesting the proper tuning... have bought a tuner and tuned the strings from right to left as CC GG DD AA G.. am now looking for a very basic tune (preferably an indian song since it may be a bit easier for me) that i can play using this tuning and minimal finger movements as of now :).. i guess this must be irritating to experts like u but i can't think of any other way at present.. your tips really helped... thnx :)

nishant
Giorgioud
Oud Junkie

Mood: Oudbsessed

[*] posted on 6-25-2013 at 04:42 PM

Nishant, brother in oud, i must inform you that i am not an "expert" at all, i am just nuts for the oud (just like you, i hope), and also that your queries are not irritating at all. In fact, it is rather cool that you ask for info, as i have done and will do exactly the same. The original purpose of this forum is just this: to exchange information and experience, helping each other out and better ourselves. I received an enormous amount of help right here in my first tentative steps with the oud, it is only fair i might want to pass some of the valuable knowledge i have accrued when needed. So, please, ask away, i can honestly say it is a pleasure!

Go To Top