Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: SOLD: Sukar Model 1 Oud
conroystoptime
Oud Maniac

[*] posted on 5-7-2013 at 12:20 PM
SOLD: Sukar Model 1 Oud

Hi guys,

I purchased the oud at this link from Ameer last year and am putting it up for sale again:

http://www.mikeouds.com/messageboard/viewthread.php?tid=12860

It's a very nice instrument and an excellent value, but I've got another oud I prefer now. Najib Shaheen did some great work on it for me, re-fitting the tuners as well as sanding the fingerboard and reapplying tung oil.

Like all Sukars, this oud has a loud, projecting sound with a lot of bass. Ameer's sound file at http://www.4shared.com/mp3/lTsFXmG9/taqsim_nahawand.htm is quite accurate. On a purely aesthetic note, the walnut bowl is really beautiful. String length is 61cm.

The case has taken a real beating, so is no longer included, and the price is $600 plus shipping. North America only.

Please message me here or at josh@farrarbooks.com.

Thanks

Josh
Mso872
Oud Lover

Mood: Rast

[*] posted on 5-7-2013 at 10:18 PM

pics?
conroystoptime
Oud Maniac

[*] posted on 5-8-2013 at 06:52 AM

Hi Mso872,

There are multiple pics on the previous thread for the same oud, posted above. (Its condition and appearance are unchanged, although luthier Najib Shaheen made some repairs that improved playability and usability of the tuners.)

By the way, thank you for inquiring about the now-sold Turkish oud. I should have updated that thread to say that the oud had sold. I tried to send you a U2U, but I'm having some technical issues with my mailbox size and wasn't able to respond to you.

Thanks

Josh

PS You can also write me at Josh@Farrarbooks.com.
ayaad2002
Oud Admirer

[*] posted on 5-9-2013 at 02:11 PM

if the oud available please contact me at ayaad2002@yahoo.com
alejofar
Oud Addict

[*] posted on 5-10-2013 at 09:09 PM
Trade?

Hey Josh,

Are you interested in trading for a nice La Patrie nylon string guitar with a pickup? It's the Hybrid CW, solid cedar top, solid Mahogany back and sides. Let me know and I'll send you pics.

This is Alejandro from the retreat by the way.

Peace
fernandraynaud
Oud Junkie

Mood: m'Oudy

[*] posted on 5-11-2013 at 12:56 PM

I can say a few things about this oud, as I'm the first owner. I purchased it new from Palmyrami a few years ago; it came from their Damascus shop.

It's a Model 1. It has a very beautiful deep reddish brown walnut bowl. I coated the soundboard lightly with a transparent shellac and rubbed it semi-matte with very fine steel wool, so it resists staining unlike raw wood, yet isn't at all crude and shiny. I coated the fingerboard with a tung oil varnish, and it thus had zero wear or impression from the strings, though I played it a lot. Apparently the coating has been refreshed as appropriate.

The tuning pegs were olive (?) wood, colored black, with a steep 15:1 taper typical of such pegs, and I'm happy to hear they were "tweaked".

It has the Sukar adjustable neck, using two pins and a threaded rod, with a butterfly nut reachable inside the bowl. When I had it, the action adjustment ranged from about 3.5mm to 6mm at the neck-body junction, and I was planning to pull the neck and file the "faces" to make it 2-6 mm, as I happen to like being able to take an oud down to a very low action, bordering on buzz.

The voice is very powerful, very "human", it really "carries", especially in the bass and low midrange. I traded it because I had two other Sukars and I wanted the Shehata that Ameer was offering.

conroystoptime
Oud Maniac

[*] posted on 5-11-2013 at 03:05 PM

SOLD to Ayaad. Thanks Fernand Reynaud for the detailed history.

This oud has been loved, and is now in another set of good hands.

Go To Top