Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Qanun tuning
muhssin
Oud Addict

[*] posted on 5-11-2013 at 09:21 PM
Qanun tuning

Hello there,

does any one know how to tune a qanun? could you give me the scale of arabic and turkish qanun?

theanks
Mso872
Oud Lover

Mood: Rast

[*] posted on 6-10-2013 at 05:09 PM

I have a tuning diagram from Dr. ümit mutlu's Turkish "Kanun Metodu" book, it might help you.

I also have an excerpt from Halil Karaduman's "Kanun Method" book: "The lowest pitch in Kanun is what we call "Re" in Turkish music and "La" in western music. The source of this difference arise due to the fact that we name what is called "La" in western music as "Re" in our "generously harmonius" reed flute (ney) mechanism. In my opinion it is about time we change this system"

My kanun is Turkish, with the lowest note tuned to C. I'm not sure if it is in the right tuning or not, I have seen Turkish kanuns with different amounts of courses.

I don't know anything about Arab kanuns though
Alfaraby
Oud Junkie

Mood: Cool

[*] posted on 6-11-2013 at 09:00 AM

Arabic Qanoun is a 26 courses instrument, starting from G ending with D. Some may add a sharp E making it 27.
Qanoun nowadays is tuned on the controversial A440 pitch. Though transposition is rather easy on Qanoun, I believe the early 20th C. Qanouns were tuned a whole step lower, but I'm not quite sure.

Yours indeed
Alfaraby

alfarabymusic@gmail.com

Go To Top