Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Air travel with Oud+
Brynley
Oud Addict

Mood: very positive

[*] posted on 11-21-2004 at 04:56 PM
Air travel with Oud+

I will be flying to a performance with my oud, and other delicate instruments(mandolin+violin) in the new year ,and am wondering how I,m going to manage. Will my oud (in case) fit in the overhead carry on luggage compartment ,for example, or will I need a special flight case to send it with (gasp!) regular luggage? Also which are the toughest hard cases out there (anyone got one for sale to fit a Syrian oud? ) Any suggestions,warnings,and tips, from expierienced multi instrumentalist tourers would be welcome. Thanks
Multi Kulti
Oud Junkie

Mood: skaataa!

[*] posted on 11-21-2004 at 05:44 PM

Nice Topic..

So i fly normally with 2-3 instruments.The hard cases fit in the overhead luggage compartment.Actually it depends on the flight company.If the plane is full then could be a problem.But if you tell them that the only safe way is that they will understand.

I would never give the instruments (especially ouds) down with the other luggage.The temperature is so crazy and that would kill your precious instrument.I ve heard of totally damaged ouds after a 5hours flight.

Have a nice travel

Nikos
Zulkarnain
Oud Junkie

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 11-22-2004 at 12:11 AM

Hi

I flew from London to Brunei (7hrs transit in Dubai and 5 more hrs to Brunei) using a hard case from Kingham to store my Bashir Oud under the cargo compartment. I had no problem at all and the Oud is perfectly fine! The Oud even on its original tuning when I got home :) I only do this if I travel using the Kingham hardcase otherwise the Oud stay with me at the overhead compartment.

Salam
Greg
Administrator

Mood: Serene

[*] posted on 11-22-2004 at 12:44 AM

I flew from Beirut to KL to Brisbane with my oud in the cargo hold. I first detuned the instrument, placed it in its hard case and wrapped the lot in several layers of plastic cling wrap. It arrived in perfect condition. I had considered putting it in the soft case and storing in the overhead locker, but was concerned that someone would jam something on top. I can't imagine an overhead locker big enough for my hard case.

BTW, there was an orchestra on my flight from KL to Brisbane. All their cellos, double basses etc. travelled in the cargo hold of the aircraft.

Regards,

Greg
Zulkarnain
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 11-22-2004 at 03:42 AM

Hey Greg

We got something in common there huh? :D

Salam
walkad
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 11-22-2004 at 11:18 AM

I recently got a long awaited Fadel 1985. It was airshipped from jordan. By mistake the oud stayed two weeks in KLM cargo store, and we had a hell in tracking it. But I received it last week and it was in perfect condition.
We will soon post pictures in http://www.iraqi-oud.com..
So dont worry, if you have a good case, the flight is no problem.

Regards
/Walid
Elie Riachi
Oud Junkie

Mood: Gebran Tueni Lives For Ever, 12-12-05.

[*] posted on 11-22-2004 at 03:30 PM

Greg makes very good points. Detuning is an important step before shipping (completely eliminate string tension.) Also wraping it in plastic wrap and a strong hard case. You may ask the flight attendant if they could stash it for you in the back of the plane, but make sure you ask them as soon as you can before that space gets used up. Depending on the size of the plane the oud may not fit in the overhead bin. If all fails you hold it in front of you.

Elie
Greg
Administrator

Mood: Serene

[*] posted on 11-22-2004 at 03:47 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Zulkarnain
Hey Greg
We got something in common there huh? :D
Salam

Hey Zul,

I think we have a lot in common mate. Except that I fly with YOUR national carrier (Malaysia Airlines) whilst it appears you fly with the opposition, Royal Brunei ;)

Regards,

Greg
Zulkarnain
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 11-22-2004 at 05:25 PM

Greg... my wife is Bruneian :D
tezza
Oud Addict

Mood: relaxed

[*] posted on 11-23-2004 at 04:32 AM
ask the attendants...

It's worked for me everytime. They can stash it in the same spot where they put coats and jackets (especially for the 1st class & business travellers). I only have soft cases for my oud and saz, so I don't have any choice...
Tarab
Oud Admirer

Mood: Ya Leil

[*] posted on 11-29-2004 at 08:46 PM
Air Travel

Good day and thank you for this great site.
I've been dropping in here often ever since i purchased an Oud this summer, and I find it very informative.

Regarding the air travel topic, i flew MEA Beirut to London, and Air Canada to North America this summer with a brand new oud in a soft case. I stored it in the over head compartment and ensured that no one else used that same space. It was a touch and go though on the last leg of my flight as another passanger kept trying to jam his biefcase on top of the instrument. I rescued my oud just in the nick of time.

The flight attendants were very simpathetic though and offered to store it in the first class closet, but i was too afraid to have it out of my sight :rolleyes:

The oud made it through with only one detached string.

happy travels
Brian Prunka
Oud Junkie

Mood: Stringish

[*] posted on 11-30-2004 at 10:35 AM

I just wanted to mention that anyone who plans to carry on an oud should not fly on Delta airlines. They are notoriously strict about their carry-on size limits and, in my experience, have no sympathy for musicians whatsoever.

Go To Top