Not logged in [Login - Register]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: new cd - conversations with manol
reminore
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 5-20-2013 at 02:29 PM
new cd - conversations with manol

ara dinkjian's new cd entitled 'Conversations With Manol' has just been released...and i thought i would put a plug in here - so that people could learn about it sooner than later...

ara played me some cuts from the master back in january - what intrigued me as much as the playing was his intention to let his manol ud take him where it would in the recordings. as he says, " i realized i was not playing the oud, but instead, listening to it..."

no deletions, corrections and no overdubs - the recordings are as played. ara describes the pieces as free introduction, groove and minimalist landscapes. the playing is of course, gorgeous and rich...

probably the most exciting thing about the production is that ara has chosen to dedicate it to the makers of instruments, the luthiers!
Included in the notes is a short biography of manolis venios, written by tasos theodorakis, a luthier in thessaloniki, greece and one of the people most knowledgable about manol's life, as well as a great photograph of manol's workers hamza usta and hadi kalfa posing with ouds and their hand tools wearing workman's bibs. on the rear cover of the cd is a rare photograph of manol himself...

the cd is available on cdbaby, itunes, amazon and from ara's website...
http://www.aradinkjian.com

these recordings of a manol ud belong should be a part of every serious ud player's collection...enjoy!
mavrothis
Oud Junkie

Mood: big band envy

[*] posted on 5-22-2013 at 09:25 AM

Hi,

I've just listened to this album the second time through, and it is simply gorgeous.

I hope everyone gets a chance to hear this entire album.

You can really sense how Ara is listening and reacting to the oud itself. Just beautiful.

Thanks,

mavrothi

http://www.mtkontanis-music.com

"...desirable and comfortable as culture may be, an artist should not lie down in it. "
--Edgard Varèse
David Parfitt
Oud Junkie

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 5-22-2013 at 09:58 AM

Is it possible to hear an entire track from the CD anywhere online?

jack
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 5-22-2013 at 11:36 AM

I just purchased this wonderful cd on emusic.com, a site I've plugged before (I am not affiliated in any way with it), but once again, half the price of itunes, and totally artist supported.

Go To Top