Mike's Oud Forums
Not logged in [Login - Register]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: sorry not oud related - looking for azeri mugham singing teacher
Masel
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 5-20-2013 at 11:07 PM
sorry not oud related - looking for azeri mugham singing teacher

last summer i was in azerbaijan with my girlfriend, we took daily lessons learning azeri mugham. she plays kamanche and sings and she really wants to continue learning from a xanande (mugham vocalist). does anyone know of any such teacher that will teach on skype AND speaks english?..

i know it's a slim chance but still..
Masel
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 5-20-2013 at 11:11 PM

i'll leave you with some nice azeri music :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=di0c5B6kto4
stos
Oud Junkie

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 5-20-2013 at 11:12 PM

Hello Masel!

I'm sorry but I can't help you but....maybe you could help me!

I'm thinking now since some time to go in azerbaidjan to take mugham singing lessons

I do not know any azeri or turkish language, and do no have any experience in azeri music, i just learn to play turkish and greek music with the oud and also try to sing

The thing is that every time I here for exemple Aleem qasimov, a tear is almost every time on my cheek and thats why I thought about learning those singing technique

Could you give some advices about this? Could you describe a little how did your trip went? (where did you take lesons, how did this happen....etc..)

thanks a lot!:cool:
Masel
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 5-21-2013 at 12:00 AM

well our teacher here in israel has many connections in azerbaijan so we had a phone number of the tar teacher i studied with, but nobody speaks english. we were very lucky to meet some very nice people who helped us find a flat for rent for the month and came with us the first day to talk with the teachers and explain who we are. after that we just had lessons every day and played all day, it was intense but very rewarding. i played oud and learned from a tar player, my girlfriend took kamanche AND singing lessons.
the lessons were in the music college or something like this, we were given keys to rooms where we could practice for as long as we liked or we practiced in our flat. azeri music is very hard to play and maybe even understand if you are not used to it, but i guess it depends on many different things, with each person..
Masel
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 5-21-2013 at 12:01 AM

anyway i recommend giving it a go, if you have any other questions ask, and good lucK!
John Erlich
Oud Junkie

Mood: Oud-Obsessed

[*] posted on 5-21-2013 at 04:15 PM

Shalom, Masel. I have a stupid question: Have you asked Mark & Piris Eliyahu, your local Azeri musicians, if they know anyone?
Masel
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 5-22-2013 at 12:27 AM

hey john of course piris was my teacher for the past few years and both him and mark are friends, unfortunately there is no azeri singers that sing mugham here.
i have contacted one man though, jeffrey werrbock, he plays azeri music since a long time and he has lived there i think, i hope he will help..
John Erlich
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 5-22-2013 at 08:49 AM

I would have assumed that the Eliyahu's have contacts in Azerbaijan, but maybe not. I know of Jeffrey Werbock, and would be curious to hear what he says. I also emailed a local (SF Bay Area) acquaintance who is Laz (non-Turkish Muslim minority in Turkey) and a world music promoter to see if he has any useful contacts.
Masel
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 5-23-2013 at 01:41 AM

thank you for asking around. piris and mark do have many contacts in azerbaijan but finding an azeri who speaks english and can teach through skype is not easy!
it looks like mr werbock can help us out though, he says he knows a singer in baku who has a skype student in belgium. i hope it works out, my girlfriend will be so happy!
John Erlich
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 5-28-2013 at 09:15 AM

Masel: I sent you a U2U with a contact

Go To Top