Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: beginners purchase
slev
Oud Addict

Mood: inTune

info.gif posted on 5-30-2013 at 04:46 PM
beginners purchase

I was wondering if this is a good beginners oud?
http://www.ebay.com/itm/251222487196

I have played American electric & acoustic. Guitar for several years and would like to try out an OUD/UD.
Brian Prunka
Oud Junkie

Mood: Stringish

[*] posted on 5-30-2013 at 05:51 PM

It doesn't look great, but it might be okay to start on.
The guy has sold 27 of them to other people, and his feedback looks okay. You could try contacting Ebay and see if they will put you in touch with previous buyers; I don't know if they'll do that or not.

Personally I would try to save up for a bit better instrument.

YouTube lessons and resources

Follow on Instagram
My oud music on YouTube
www.brianprunka.com

My u2u inbox is over capacity, please contact me through my website
slev
Oud Addict

[*] posted on 5-30-2013 at 08:27 PM

Hi Brian, Thanks for the reply.
I recently.ordered a cumbus, Persian setar and am saving for a Tar.
I used to play duduk key of G but, I am in shame I smoke cigarettes.
btw my grandparents are Armenian.

Maybe you can direct me to a reasonable priced beginners Oud ? Thanks again.
Mso872
Oud Lover

Mood: Rast

[*] posted on 5-31-2013 at 08:50 AM

I started playing oud about 1 and a half years ago. I bought a $300 Turkish style oud from ebay from "universalact". Regardless of what quality the oud had, I have to say that his customer service was excellent, and he replied quickly to emails to make sure I was satisfied.

As far as the tone goes, comparing the sound of my oud to a friend's Merjanian, as well as to three different Karibyans, my oud doesn't even compare.

The main difference I can tell as a beginner-intermediate player is that my oud has significantly less projection, and lacks the tonal quality to really hear the nuances in playing with vibrato, slides, etc. I never understood why luthiers would say "a professional oud has the tonal quality and control to express a higher level of playing" well now I know.

Second, I can see that my oud has fairly poor quality craftsmanship. The quality of woods on the back and pegbox don't look that great, the nut where the strings rest juts out too far, the rosettes are a cheap wood instead of horn or plastic, etc.

However, the oud suited me perfectly fine as a beginner. I was able to tune it up and play, and it even sounded pretty nice playing in my room with the right acoustics. I'm waiting for my Dimitris oud in the mail, but I was just playing my cheap oud this morning. I think all I want in a beginner instrument is something that can produce a a fairly authentic sound, and not fall apart. However if you have the money, you might want to go with something at least midrange like one of the $600 Sandi ouds on ebay. If you plan on playing live, make sure it has a built-in pickup. Just my opinion
slev
Oud Addict

[*] posted on 5-31-2013 at 09:07 AM

Quote: Originally posted by Mso872  
I started playing oud about 1 and a half years ago. I bought a $300 Turkish style oud from ebay from "universalact". Regardless of what quality the oud had, I have to say that his customer service was excellent, and he replied quickly to emails to make sure I was satisfied.

As far as the tone goes, comparing the sound of my oud to a friend's Merjanian, as well as to three different Karibyans, my oud doesn't even compare.

The main difference I can tell as a beginner-intermediate player is that my oud has significantly less projection, and lacks the tonal quality to really hear the nuances in playing with vibrato, slides, etc. I never understood why luthiers would say "a professional oud has the tonal quality and control to express a higher level of playing" well now I know.

Second, I can see that my oud has fairly poor quality craftsmanship. The quality of woods on the back and pegbox don't look that great, the nut where the strings rest juts out too far, the rosettes are a cheap wood instead of horn or plastic, etc.

However, the oud suited me perfectly fine as a beginner. I was able to tune it up and play, and it even sounded pretty nice playing in my room with the right acoustics. I'm waiting for my Dimitris oud in the mail, but I was just playing my cheap oud this morning. I think all I want in a beginner instrument is something that can produce a a fairly authentic sound, and not fall apart. However if you have the money, you might want to go with something at least midrange like one of the $600 Sandi ouds on ebay. If you plan on playing live, make sure it has a built-in pickup. Just my opinion

Nice, I did some reading and it appears the Iraq oud has placeable bridge for different tone(maybe someone can clarify this). $600 is a lot IMHO for a beginners instrument, who knows maybe it's not the instrument for me :-)
I will pass on the one from new York and look into the one you bought for $300 but, like you said it is not 100% up to par with a higher priced quility controlled oud from my understanding. All my techniques I learned my self, never took lessons on any instrument I play.:airguitar:
Brian Prunka
Oud Junkie

Mood: Stringish

[*] posted on 5-31-2013 at 11:04 AM

Since your background is Armenian, you might want to look at Turkish-style ouds, rather than the Arabic style one you posted.
Armenian ouds are generally closer to Turkish.

The good news is that decent Turkish style beginner ouds are much more common than Arabic ones, so this makes your search much easier. Almost any Turkish oud is going to be a decent enough instrument to play and learn on until you decide to stick with it.

Saadettin Sandi has a bunch in moderately priced ouds and a good reputation, this was the least expensive one I could find:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Saadettin-SANDI-Bahadir-SANDI-HANDMADE-TURK...

This one is hard to tell, but it looks like nice workmanship:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Turkish-Oud-Handmade-in-Turkey-With-Gig-Bag...

YouTube lessons and resources

Follow on Instagram
My oud music on YouTube
www.brianprunka.com

My u2u inbox is over capacity, please contact me through my website
slev
Oud Addict

[*] posted on 5-31-2013 at 03:14 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Brian Prunka  
Since your background is Armenian, you might want to look at Turkish-style ouds, rather than the Arabic style one you posted.
Armenian ouds are generally closer to Turkish.

The good news is that decent Turkish style beginner ouds are much more common than Arabic ones, so this makes your search much easier. Almost any Turkish oud is going to be a decent enough instrument to play and learn on until you decide to stick with it.

Saadettin Sandi has a bunch in moderately priced ouds and a good reputation, this was the least expensive one I could find:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Saadettin-SANDI-Bahadir-SANDI-HANDMADE-TURK...

This one is hard to tell, but it looks like nice workmanship:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Turkish-Oud-Handmade-in-Turkey-With-Gig-Bag...

Very nice. I will watch those.
I was.looking at Lavna's aswell not sure I'd they are part of the oud family?
I just picked up a baglama for $300 today, this one should be fun.
slev
Oud Addict

[*] posted on 6-16-2013 at 08:14 PM

Hello. I purchased an oud last night. It will be here Friday. I will post pics when it arrives.

Go To Top