Mike's Oud Forums
Not logged in [Login - Register]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: African style - what oud to get?
MelloMel85
Oud Admirer

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 5-31-2013 at 11:50 AM
African style - what oud to get?

Hello everyone,

I have been saving for an oud and lessons (I'm a career Western classical musician, but don't play oud yet), and was wondering if you might help me figure out what kind to get as far as Arabic vs. Turkish.

I am very inspired by Hamza El Din, Awad Ahmoudi, and many other African players. I also like Anouar Brahem.

Also, what should I expect to pay for a relatively good instrument? I'm seeing wildly different pricing on various sites on the internet. I'm aiming to budget around $1000 - what do you all think?

All best and thanks for your help,
Melissa
hamed
Oud Junkie

Mood: Iss'al rouhak

[*] posted on 5-31-2013 at 01:07 PM

Hi There,

If you want your oud to sound like those guys you will want an arabic oud, the instrument being played here https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x6uf32pNhmo is probably made in egypt.

However, if you are just starting out i would suggest getting a turkish oud since they are generally a better value. you can find a pretty decent turkish oud for as low as $400 maybe less. Check out a maker called Saadettin Sandi, there are a few of his ouds on ebay ranging from $250 - $1000 which i think are a terrific.

maybe some other members can weigh in.
nile pirate
Oud Addict

[*] posted on 5-31-2013 at 01:39 PM

Welcome Melissa to the agony of choosing your first oud. Let me sign post you to the hermit luthier, poet and musicologist Usta Michael Moussa. Be in touch , though hermit and sofist by nature he is quite approchable. If you have not bought from him, you will have the most senscere advice - but you may be lost between the various styles he makes- almost every great oud heard of whether modern or old
and say hello from the pirate to mawlana mikhail effendi abu mina
the pirate

oudman71
Oud Lover

Mood: Ghadban Fan

[*] posted on 6-1-2013 at 09:37 PM

Goodness! Just checked out that Michael Moussa site. Those are gorgeous instruments! Tried to listen to a sound sample, but couldn't get it to work. Might be something wrong at my end. They look fantastic— what do they sound like?
John Erlich
Oud Junkie

Mood: Oud-Obsessed

[*] posted on 6-3-2013 at 09:02 AM

Quote: Originally posted by hamed  
Hi There,

If you want your oud to sound like those guys you will want an arabic oud, the instrument being played here https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x6uf32pNhmo is probably made in egypt.

However, if you are just starting out i would suggest getting a turkish oud since they are generally a better value. you can find a pretty decent turkish oud for as low as $400 maybe less. Check out a maker called Saadettin Sandi, there are a few of his ouds on ebay ranging from $250 - $1000 which i think are a terrific.

maybe some other members can weigh in.

I agree with Hamed, but would amplfy the comment that most East African (Sudanese, Kenyan, Zanzibari, etc.) oud players probably use Egyptian-made instruments. I also agree with the comment regarding Turkish uds, adding that, on average, they are better crafted than Arabic ouds. That being said, if you really love a particular sound and style, you will be much happier with an oud that matches your style. (I am an Arabic-style oudist myself and play my Egyptian and Iraqi ouds mostly, even though my Najarian and Turkish uds are better crafted.) My mantra to new oud buyers is to purchase the best quality instrument you can reasonably afford. If this means waiting 6 months or a year to save up money, do it! There's few things more frustrating than an instrument that you outgrow quickly.

Good luck!

Peace out,
"Udi" John
SamirCanada

[*] posted on 6-3-2013 at 01:11 PM

I have a Shehata oud for sale which may fit the bill.

the ad is below, let me know if interested.

http://www.mikeouds.com/messageboard/viewthread.php?tid=14010

@samiroud Instagram
samiroudmaker@gmail.com
THE GUY FROM THE PAST
Oud Lover

[*] posted on 6-4-2013 at 11:19 AM

Hello Melissa

I am very proud of the new host of female oudists who are boldly breaking the male monopoly. tradionally oud and ney were for men, while violin and canon are more girlish. without the usual political reservations- I highly recommend MIKHAIL EFFENDI Abu Mina Al Metaibati( Michael Moussa)
especially that he makes to hanem oud( ouds for ladies) the Gamil George and the Azre oud repilcas- my professor has got both of them and they are more than exotic- unfortunately they are not on his site. Moreover I have come across a clip by a Sudanese player Mr Awad Abusin ON ONE OF MICHAELA`S OUDS AND it was fantastic- I think he is a member of the forum
best of luck
the guy from the past

Go To Top