Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: offtopic Cumbus question strings
slev
Oud Addict

Mood: inTune

[*] posted on 6-1-2013 at 10:30 AM
offtopic Cumbus question strings

Some how 3 strings snapped over night, went to practice this morning and was stunned.

Unfortunately buying online will take several days to arrive. I would like to buy a 12 string set locally like from Guitar Center... Does anyone here have a recommended brand of Acoustic 12 string set that will work OK with the 12 string cumbus without the need of modifications ? I tune my Cumbus in Armenian form: EABEAD TIGHT tune.

Let me know please.
DoggerelPundit
Oud Junkie

Mood: Odar

[*] posted on 6-2-2013 at 08:19 AM

Hi Slev,

I'm not sure if the Guitar Center offers single strings in varieties of sizes, but many singly owned music stores still do. If you invest in a good dial or digital caliper (Harbor Freight has OK ones for about 20 bucks) you can measure your cumbus strings and get the right sized replacements. If it has to be string sets, you might also consider those made for long necked plectrum or 5 string banjos.

If your strings are breaking at the tuning head, inspect the holes in the string shafts. Often they are just drilled without having been chamfered and those edges are often sharp enough to cut string wire which is under tension. Using a quarter inch drill bit to chamfer both holes in each shaft—by hand—will dull that angle and relieve the sharp edge against the string wire.

-Stephen
slev
Oud Addict

Mood: inTune

[*] posted on 6-2-2013 at 09:00 AM

Quote: Originally posted by DoggerelPundit  
Hi Slev,

I'm not sure if the Guitar Center offers single strings in varieties of sizes, but many singly owned music stores still do. If you invest in a good dial or digital caliper (Harbor Freight has OK ones for about 20 bucks) you can measure your cumbus strings and get the right sized replacements. If it has to be string sets, you might also consider those made for long necked plectrum or 5 string banjos.

If your strings are breaking at the tuning head, inspect the holes in the string shafts. Often they are just drilled without having been chamfered and those edges are often sharp enough to cut string wire which is under tension. Using a quarter inch drill bit to chamfer both holes in each shaft—by hand—will dull that angle and relieve the sharp edge against the string wire.

-Stephen

thank you i will inspect the tuning head, as i suspect they are sharp cause that is where the strings have broke. guitar center does indeed have single strings unfortunately i went in without bringing the instrument and i went by what ROOSEBECKs string specs and came home to find out the smaller strings turned out to be way too large. Maybe someone swapped the sleeves with the strings. Last night i picked up a set of 12 string light strings. my cumbus has the Fretted neck.

again thank you for the reply.

Go To Top