Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2
Author: Subject: New "Tarab oud" completed
bulerias1981
Oud Junkie

Mood: John Vergara Luthier Lord of the Strings instrument making and repair

[*] posted on 6-12-2013 at 05:03 PM

Hi guys. Adel and Jamil, thanks for the clarification. I am interested in seeing more examples of tight AND wide grain soundboards from Nahat, along with the number of pieces the soundboard was made with. Does anyone know the amount of pieces the Hamza soundboard has?
I knew that some Nahat ouds had tight grain. However, if you figure the odds, its more like 1 out of 20. So not significant enough to say they frequently used tight grain. I'm also well aware that they would have had some connections to the Western world, particularly Europe for many reasons, to stock on certain species of wood, and tools, and so on. But to say what they obtained for sure is only a guess. In regards to tight grain soundboards.. I don't claim that tight grained is bad, but I was trying to make an obvious point that seems to go overlooked, and that is wide grain it has a pretty solid track record for producing some of the top Arabic sounds we know. Also, Mohammad Fadel often used wide grain pine, and has also produced some hauntingly beautiful sounds. I have heard great Arabic sounds with tight grain as well, but for me I find I have to work it differently.

hamed
Oud Junkie

Mood: Iss'al rouhak

[*] posted on 8-3-2013 at 11:17 AM

Are we gonna get to hear this oud?
bulerias1981
Oud Junkie

Mood: John Vergara Luthier Lord of the Strings instrument making and repair

[*] posted on 9-20-2013 at 06:43 PM

Thanks all. This oud is sold.

Pages:  1  2

Go To Top