Mike's Oud Forums
Not logged in [Login - Register]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: What's the lifetime of your strings ?
Oudbedis
Oud Addict

[*] posted on 6-7-2013 at 04:19 AM
What's the lifetime of your strings ?

We all play ouds ^^ , and we all exercise everyday :)
That's what "irritates" strings most .
Thus , I was wondering how often do you change your exercise strings ( which are in my case a mid or low-range price strings ).
Oudbedis
Oud Addict

[*] posted on 6-7-2013 at 04:32 AM

Actually I am using now my first set of strings since I've got my latest oud , for some reasons I was not able to change them till now , both set and oud celebrated a month ago their first year . I feel a horrible need to replace my string set :D
A year seems to me a long period ,I am even unable to exercise my self on tricky "fast" pieces ^^
SamirCanada

[*] posted on 6-7-2013 at 04:52 AM

If you play everyday... I think 6 months is about the limit you can take them.

@samiroud Instagram
samiroudmaker@gmail.com
Oudbedis
Oud Addict

[*] posted on 6-7-2013 at 05:02 AM

:) Thank you
Brian Prunka
Oud Junkie

Mood: Stringish

[*] posted on 6-7-2013 at 07:09 AM

Quote: Originally posted by SamirCanada  
If you play everyday... I think 6 months is about the limit you can take them.

I agree. Cheaper strings may not last quite as long; in my experience the good strings from Pyramid and Savarez can be changed about twice a year. If you play with your fingernails, you might need to change them more often.

YouTube lessons and resources

Follow on Instagram
My oud music on YouTube
www.brianprunka.com

My u2u inbox is over capacity, please contact me through my website
DoggerelPundit
Oud Junkie

Mood: Odar

[*] posted on 6-7-2013 at 07:28 AM

Your ear should tell you when to change. Once you have found the string type and brand you like best for a particular oud, the time to change them is when you can hear that they are sounding below their best voice. John Bilezikjian practices 5-7 hours a day and changes strings once a week!

Brian is right about fingernails, they wear the windings much quicker than do finger pads. Even so, nails or pads will gradually "fill" the windings with skin oils and residue. After playing, some players wipe down their strings with a soft flannel cloth.

-Stephen
Oudbedis
Oud Addict

[*] posted on 6-7-2013 at 07:57 AM

Sometimes , strings may loose their "best voice" , but they can still playable , guaranteeing a good flexibility for a correct smooth training .

I remember a oud teacher that told me once that if you have found the tonality in nylon strings , there is no hurry in changing them , just change the rest , which they tend to loose their efficiency faster then nylon strings , considering also that nylon strings take much more time to fit in the oud with the right tone then the rest of them.

Indeed , sweating and daily playing increase "strings melting" , they become thinner and leave green residues on the fingerboard .

:D changing string every week !! I'll spend the whole week tuning rather then playing :p :p :p :D:D:D !!
suz_i_dil
Oud Junkie

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 6-7-2013 at 10:28 AM

Depending on the sound you are looking for and of course the use

My criterias is the type of sound i wish (loose of brightness with time), playability (less smooth with time) and of course tuning (older strings can get untuned in higher positions).

So for me: 1 month...up to 1 year ! 1 year for my exercice strings. I'm very surprised, but yes they are still in tune in higher position. Of course no brightness any more, but ok for practicing

Jason
Oud Junkie

Mood: Loving my oud

[*] posted on 6-8-2013 at 01:28 PM

I actually like the way very old Aquilas sound on my floating bridge oud
fernandraynaud
Oud Junkie

Mood: m'Oudy

[*] posted on 6-8-2013 at 02:00 PM

I forget who it was who said that old strings sound best, easily a year. Unless you crave that zingy sound on the basses like with D'Addarios. Wiping the strings hard against the fingerboard after every playing with the rough side of a chamois really keeps them good for a long time.

I hate changing strings. I finally got locking tuners for a couple of my guitars. They're fantastic, gets it down to literally under 5 minutes: stick the string in the tuner hole, tighten, and pull up to pitch. No windings on the post. Stretch the strings a bit and that's it. But what do you do on the oud, it always seems to take a long long time, and a lot of agony. Has anyone figured out a fast procedure, a specific order?

Go To Top