Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Ageeb Naseef oud needs TLC
Mso872
Oud Lover

Mood: Rast

[*] posted on 6-10-2013 at 05:43 PM
Ageeb Naseef oud needs TLC

My new roommate asked me if I could get her oud in playing condition, apparently, an old roommate left it at the house and hasn't asked for it back. My roommate translated the maker of the oud to "Ageeb Nassif".

Since my only experience is with Turkish ouds, I checked the oud cafe stringing and tuning page http://www.oudcafe.com/stringing_and_tuning.htm. I wasn't sure which tuning the oud was in originally, so I decided to use D'ADDARIO J95 strings and tune it to CFADGC, which was said to be one of the most common tunings.

After following the diagram, I noticed that the soundboard of the oud under the bridge was seperating, which can be seen in my first picture. Next, the pickguard seemed to be seperating from the face of the oud, perhaps since it has been stored with no case in a garage here in Monterey. Also, I was having trouble bringing the highest strings up to pitch, they kept unwinding down at the bridge. I have never had this problem with classical guitar restringing, although I am aware that they aren't the same instrument--this is unrelated, but any advice on how to prevent this?

Can anyone tell me about this particular oud? Any general info such as the country of origin, the level of quality ie beginner, intermediate, professional etc, or whether it requires a specific tuning. Also, how much might it have costed originally, and would it be worth getting repaired?

I think it's a shame for any instrument to be in this condition and not be played, so I would like to bring it to a playable condition.
Alfaraby
Oud Junkie

Mood: Cool

[*] posted on 6-10-2013 at 10:03 PM

Ageeb Naseef is an Egyptian maker from Cairo. He was"discovered" by Naseer Shamma and brought, among others, to "Bait Al Oud" to make ouds for Naseer's students under his specifications for the Iraqi oud he spreads. The main concern of Naseer was to unify his students' ouds, tending to make the same oud for all, hoping to achieve the same sound qualities accordingly. This is one of these ouds, beginners' standard, low cost ouds. It could have been bought in Cairo for a couple of hundreds Egyptian Pounds, up to 100-150 $ or so. I happen to see Ageeb's pre Naseer's era oud and it was way beyond these standards, almost unplayable, poor woods and finish. Thanks to Naseer, Ageeb managed to upgrade his ouds to such a level.
Worth repairing ? Yes. It might turn to have great sound. Who knows !
Good luck

Yours indeed
Alfaraby

alfarabymusic@gmail.com

Go To Top