Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2
Author: Subject: Old Greek "Rebetis" Oud player Markos Melkon
reminore
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 2-11-2014 at 06:01 AM

hey hartun - so the cd that you want is this:

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?url=search-alias%3Daps&f...

a greek cd with half with the songs of a greek rembetis who played in the first and greatest rebetika ensemble in the 30's, anestis delias.

the second grouping of songs are nearly all m. melkon in greek...i'm surprised to find it available on amazon - i bought it in salonica in the early 90's...

hartun
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 2-11-2014 at 06:38 AM

hey reminore, thanks for the tip! a while back there was an entire vinyl LP of marko melkon's greek 78s, on ebay but they were asking a lot for it. this is great thanks. i actually have some melkon stuff on 78 myself in greek, "memetis" and i might have another one. that memetis is a great recording. and the flipside is something called kenurio zeybekiko do you know what kenurio means? i'm guessing a place?
John Erlich
Oud Junkie

Mood: Oud-Obsessed

[*] posted on 2-11-2014 at 01:41 PM

I own a copy of this recording, too. I bought it in Athens in 2002, if memory serves. I will go home and listen to it again. I don't listen to it very often. I have a vague memory of cloyingly poor sound quality.
reminore
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 2-12-2014 at 05:01 PM

kainourio zebekiko means simply, 'new zebekiko'...
John Erlich
Oud Junkie

Mood: Oud-Obsessed

[*] posted on 2-13-2014 at 11:08 AM

Hi Hartun,

I've been listening to the CD today. I don't hear a lot of flashy solo oud work here. If you are going to pay 28 bucks on Amazon or 18 quid on Amazon UK to buy the Anestis Delias/Markos Melkon CD, I would only do it if you are a serious rembetiko freak.

For example, here is the recording of "Οğlan Οğlan" from the Anestis Delias/Markos Melkon recording (track 17): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CbmOpT8HuTA

Opa,
"Udi" John
hartun
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 2-14-2014 at 06:05 AM

well, i'm a serious marko melkon freak so yeah....but 28 is an awful lot for a CD. thanks for the tip!
dario
Oud Maniac

[*] posted on 3-28-2014 at 04:04 AM

Hi all, I made an account so I could tell you that one Marko Melkon piece has indeed been transcribed (not by me I hasten to add!) here: http://subdiversity.com/2011/12/28/to-prosfygaki/
It's a song in Greek that could be considered rebetiko, so exhibiting a different side of Melkon from the Traditional Crossroads CDs which, as has been noted, focus on his Turkish and Armenian style playing. Incidentally it's not uncommon to hear this particular song being played by rebetiko bands, it's become somewhat popular recently.
 Pages:  1  2

Go To Top