Not logged in [Login - Register]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: moving an oud from humid to dry climate
Maharini Rubini
Oud Admirer

[*] posted on 6-22-2013 at 08:20 PM
moving an oud from humid to dry climate

I am looking for tips on moving an instrument from a humid to dry climate to minimize the risk of cracking?
Brian Prunka
Oud Junkie

Mood: Stringish

[*] posted on 6-23-2013 at 05:01 AM

Get a small instrument humidifier that you can keep in the case. Especially when you first move, try to keep the oud in the case as much as possible, with the humidifier, so the transition is relatively slow. Leaving the oud out of the case will accelerate the drying-out process.

You may want to get a room humidifier as well for the room you keep the oud in, and try to keep the room at about 50% humidity. It's not good for any instrument to get too dry.

YouTube lessons and resources

Follow on Instagram
My oud music on YouTube
www.brianprunka.com

My u2u inbox is over capacity, please contact me through my website
Jody Stecher
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 6-23-2013 at 06:18 AM

An effective and inexpensive humidifier to keep in the case is a slice of potato or apple. When the slice dries out replace it with another.
Maharini Rubini
Oud Admirer

[*] posted on 6-24-2013 at 11:33 AM

Thanks for the advice!
Hank Levin
Oud Maniac

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 6-24-2013 at 07:09 PM

Get the Hunter Care-Free Humidifier. You can get it online for $75-95. Big reservoir makes it easy to maintain. If it prevents one crack from opening up, it will have paid for itself. If you notice any pegs popping out (and strings unravelling), your oud is close to cracking---it's a warning!

So, get a hygrometer---looks like a thermometer. You can also get it from Hunter, very cheaply. If your humidity goes below 50%, like Brian says, you've got an emergency.

That said, I do very good crack repairs---but you won't like the price. Get the humidifier.
Doc139
Oud Junkie

Mood: oud-sick

[*] posted on 6-25-2013 at 04:12 AM

Dear Hank,
aren't you exaggerating a little bit: below 50 % = an emergency? I check the humidity in my room daily with a hygrometer and I have mostly between 40 and 45 %, sometimes 50 %, and I had for many years no problems with cracks in my acoustic guitars or oud.
Alexander
jdowning
Oud Junkie

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 6-25-2013 at 05:17 AM

Much also depends upon the humidity levels prevalent in the luthiers workshop when the instrument was constructed (particularly applicable to the sound board). Some makers have workshop humidity control others may choose dry winter conditions (rather than the humid conditions of summer) for assembly of the critical components - others may not be that careful.
How well the wood of an oud has been seasoned is also an important factor.

Worth checking with the luthier (if possible) to assess if there may or may not be a potential problem due to humidity change. If the instrument was built in low humidity conditions then there should not be a problem (except in very humid conditions when an oud will sound 'dull' and pegs will stick).

Here in Canada the ambient RH can range from about 80% down to around 30% or lower (in an old house heated with a wood stove with outside air temperature around minus 35° C). I try to assemble sound boards during the winter period.

Museums seem to aim for 50% RH as a standard for preservation of artifacts.

Go To Top