Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Purchasing an Oud in Morocco
s.tuliebitz
Oud Admirer

[*] posted on 6-25-2013 at 08:46 PM
Purchasing an Oud in Morocco

Hello,

I'm Sam- new to this forum, but very excited to learn from you all here; thanks for taking the time to read this thread!
So.. I was hoping to see if anyone would be willing to share advice on acquiring an oud in Morocco: I will be visiting Fes [as well as Moulay Idriss] this fall, and would love to come back with a rather special instrument.

I'm looking for an Arabic Oud, and would be perfectly happy with either a used or new instrument.
To be honest, I'm a bit of an apologetic snob when it comes to guitars/mandolins/lapsteels.. so although I know I don't deserve a concert-grade oud [from a player's perspective, at this point], I'm definitely seeking something exceptional in terms of sound, volume and playability (aesthetics subsidiary).

So.. how does an ignoramus like this guy (me) make it happen? Specific luthiers/shops/strategies? I know this is quite broad, but any advice, e.g., features to look for, where to go, how to value and/or negotiate appropriately, what not to say, etc., would be greatly appreciated.

For what its worth, I will be traveling through Paris and Marseille, eventually en route to Morocco. I'll be staying in Fes and Moulay Idriss, passing through Meknes and Casablanca (train and air travel, respectively); my final stay will be in Lisbon, Portugal. While my preference is to actually purchase in Morocco, I'm open to any opportunities I should be considering. It is probably notable to mention that both my French and Arabic skills are negligible, but my traveling companion should be back to competency in French by the time we reach Fes.

Please don't hesitate to tell me if my strategy is flawed or dumb, but I feel I should at least try to make use of being [relatively] 'in-region' for something like this. I've waited a long time to be able to take a trip like this, and know how much of a privilege this is.

Thanks so much, again!
Sam
Jody Stecher
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 6-25-2013 at 10:18 PM

I know first hand that Majid Atik in Casablanca makes very good ouds. I have heard good things about the ouds of Khalid Belhaiba also in Casablanca. Look around youtube and also this forum for these two names. No doubt there are others, but that is a good start.
Khalid_Salé
Oud Maniac

[*] posted on 6-26-2013 at 11:27 AM

Abdallah Mouride of Casablanca also makes good ouds which you can find in Casablanca and Rabat. I think you can find his details on this forum also. If you are in Rabat, his ouds are sold at the Pyramid de la Musique store on Rue Gaza.
alim
Oud Junkie

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 6-26-2013 at 10:46 PM

There is a store in Rabat called 'La Guitar', they have good ouds and good prices. There number is +212537260366 (You will need to speak Arabic or French). I bought a oud from them last year. I will be in Morocco between July 15 and Aug 10. If you come during that time I can take you there...

Ali-
s.tuliebitz
Oud Admirer

[*] posted on 6-28-2013 at 07:19 PM

Thanks for all the advice, everyone!
I'll actually be there the 2nd week of September, and currently only have non-travel time set for Fes and Moulay Idriss; sounds like I may need to build in some time for Casablanca (Rabat is unfortunately not in the itinerary, currently)...

Thanks again- I look forward to doing more research. Please keep it coming, if you've got more (especially anything relative to Fez) :D
franck leriche
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 6-29-2013 at 05:43 AM

Rabat is less than one hour drive from Casa....just in case.
s.tuliebitz
Oud Admirer

[*] posted on 7-8-2013 at 07:32 AM

Good to know- thanks again, everyone!

Go To Top