Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Faruk Türünz Oud Review
DavidJE
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 7-16-2013 at 05:12 AM
Faruk Türünz Oud Review

Hello all,

I've been browsing the forum here for months now and really enjoying it. This weekend I made a trip to Istanbul to pick up a new oud from Faruk Türünz, and I thought reviewing it would be a good occasion to make a first post.

I bought my first oud in Istanbul, on the street with all the musical instrument shops near the Galata Tower. I recently decided I'd like to get a new, better oud, and after researching ouds a good bit, reading here on the forums, and watching YouTube videos, I decided to go to Faruk's shop and purchase an oud from him if I liked them.

I've never heard an oud in person that sounded as good as Faruk's ouds. They have such an incredibly clear, deep sound. And as soon as I held one in my hand, I knew I'd be buying one. The balance, craftsmanship, and sound were just awesome. I'm so happy with the oud that I already want to buy another one, just to have more than one of his!

I was also amazed at his unique, and what I consider to be revolutionary, method of making them (or any musical instrument for that matter). I spent hours at his shop, looking at all of his custom tools, and especially his software and hardware for measuring the frequencies of various components of the ouds. I know he has explained it all on this forum, but seeing it in person, how he and his crew calculate frequency distributions for the oud first and then create the components to create the "perfect sound"...was incredible. I've never heard of anyone making instruments like that before, but it makes so much sense in order to get consistently great results.

I've posted a number of pictures of the oud along with pictures from his shop and descriptions of it all...on a blog of mine, if you'd like to see them: http://www.functionalselfdefense.org/blog/faruk-turunz-master-oud-m...

I chose the reduced price model for a couple of reasons. The cost was a factor, as they were significantly less expensive. And, I could not distinguish between the sound of his reduced price models and the custom single he had available. I also really like the look of the oud I bought. However, when I went to his shop, he only had one (if I remember correctly) finished single soundboard oud for sale that wasn't reduced price. I saw a couple of custom singles that were being made for customers though, and I liked the design of them (the look) even more than the one I bought...due to the types of wood used and the french polish. If he would have had more finished single soundboard ouds for sale, I may have bought one of them instead. But, as I said, I love the look of the one I bought, and I'm extremely happy/excited about it! The sound and playability are indescribably good. Hopefully in the future I'll order another custom oud from him, and have two. :)

I wish I had bought one of his ouds from the beginning, but at that time I didn't even know who Faruk was. To anyone considering getting an oud for the first time, I would take the advice that forum members here have given repeatedly...and buy the best one you can reasonably afford. There is just an incredible difference between my first oud ($300 and not that bad) and this Faruk Türünz oud. They are literally worlds apart. I don't even want to pick up my old oud again. The reduced price deal is impossible to beat. For $1,000 you really are getting a masterpiece of art that in my opinion, is priceless.
fadel
Oud Junkie

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 7-16-2013 at 05:44 AM

hi

Faruk master of oud maker and good man

Congratulations

salam

View user's profile Visit user's homepage View All Posts By User This user has MSN Messenger
Jaffa Road
Oud Maniac

[*] posted on 7-16-2013 at 09:34 AM

Looks AMAZING play it in good health and thanks for sharing the photos
DavidJE
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 7-16-2013 at 12:24 PM

Thanks guys! The more I play it, the more I love it. :)
Doc139
Oud Junkie

Mood: oud-sick

[*] posted on 7-20-2013 at 10:24 PM

Hi David,
thank you for your interesting report on your visit at Faruk Turunz' workshop! I enjoyed the pictures and your story a lot, since I am considering a trip to Istanbul sooner or later myself!
One question: you wrote that there was only one single custom model for sale at that time - I'm wondering, what's the matter then with all these ouds hanging at the wall on one of your pictures showing you and Faruk?
Greetings to Vienna,
Alexander
DavidJE
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 7-20-2013 at 11:07 PM

Hey Alexander,

Some of the ouds hanging on the wall were repairs for people, some were doubles, two were Arabic tuned reduced price, one was another Turkish tuned reduced price. Maybe there were two custom singles...at most. But in any case, there were not many, when I was there.

Go To Top