Mike's Oud Forums
Not logged in [Login - Register]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: to bargain or not to bargain?
Doc139
Oud Junkie

Mood: oud-sick

info.gif posted on 7-23-2013 at 09:30 PM
to bargain or not to bargain?

Dear friends all over the world,
as an european traveling in arabic countries I quickly learned in the past (in the souks of Marrakech) that if I want buy anything there to bargain is a must. Otherwise you would be looked at as stupid. Now concerning "buying ouds" and "to bargain or not" I am asking advice and opinions of you, who maybe are more familiar with the arabic mentality. It seems clear to me, if I walk into a luthier's workshop somewhere in Cairo or Beirut and talk with the owner about buying one of his ouds, bargaining will be part of the game, am I right? I am less sure how to react when we talk about buying an oud through the internet. Some luthiers have their prices on their website. Some send you the prices per mail on request. Are these prices now fixed, in the sense as we have it in Europe or US? (If you are going to a supermarket to buy new shoes you don't bargain about the prices in our part of the world, the price that's written on the product is the price and that's it ...) Or are they subject to negotiations? In my mail-contacts with one of those luthiers I was openly asking, if his (first) price is fix or can be bargained - his replay was: if I continue with this question of bargaining he would raise the price from 2000 to 3000 ... written in a kind of joke, was it just a hint to stop me from starting to bargain? Or was his reaction real? I could not feel the answer then.
I am looking forward on your opinions and comments to the subject!
Alexander
fadel
Oud Junkie

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 7-24-2013 at 06:50 PM

hi

yase

I agree with you

If you are from the Gulf, the price changes

thank

View user's profile Visit user's homepage View All Posts By User This user has MSN Messenger
Doc139
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 7-26-2013 at 02:41 AM

I'm wondering - I would have expected a "spicy" and maybe even controversial discussion, but no... :(
is the question I ask not interesting enough or maybe even "too hot" to answer openly?
Alexander
SamirCanada

[*] posted on 7-26-2013 at 06:18 AM

Without going into a debate on ethics etc... I always inquire by saying I have a budget of xxx dollars. If he oud maker is willing to sell you a oud at that price he will say so.

I think you can say there is a difference between oud makers who live by the trade and are focused on making a quality instrument v.s. walking around in a morocan souk trying to haggle ouds assembled from furniture spare parts.

The idea of walking into a luthier shop and haggeling for ouds is probably a little far fetched from the reality, unless perhaps in Cairo where there is this need to keep the inventory rolling and produce in large quantity. In reality if you walk into a well known lutheir to buy a oud, the answer may be: Sorry I dont have any right now, I am taking orders 6 months in advance or more.

@samiroud Instagram
samiroudmaker@gmail.com
Brian Prunka
Oud Junkie

Mood: Stringish

[*] posted on 7-26-2013 at 10:52 AM

Quote: Originally posted by SamirCanada  
Without going into a debate on ethics etc... I always inquire by saying I have a budget of xxx dollars. If he oud maker is willing to sell you a oud at that price he will say so.

I second Samir's approach. Decide for yourself what you can afford, and talk to the luthier about what he can provide for that price. This generally leads to better outcomes than an adversarial haggling process. If what he offers you at that price is inadequate, then you can try to get him to provide something better, but this is negotiating details rather than haggling over price.

The problem with price haggling is that someone who can often afford easily to pay the asking price for an instrument (and much more financially comfortable than the luthier they are haggling with) will try to get a discount just on general principle; this is not really fair to the luthier.

If you decide for yourself what something is worth to you, then no one can really "cheat" you, if that's your concern. If he asks $2000 and you think that that is a reasonable amount for the quality of instrument, then you should pay it. If you are trying to get an instrument that is worth $2000 for less than it's worth just because you have some bargaining power, then don't be surprised if you have issues. Now, if you are ready to pay $2000, and you say, "I'm happy to pay $2000, but I think at that price, the oud should have an extended ebony fingerboard, not a short rosewood fingerboard", then a luthier might be more open to discussion.

YouTube lessons and resources

Follow on Instagram
My oud music on YouTube
www.brianprunka.com

My u2u inbox is over capacity, please contact me through my website
Jason
Oud Junkie

Mood: Loving my oud

[*] posted on 7-26-2013 at 05:02 PM

Haggling with luthiers is pretty uncommon in my experience. Like others have mentioned, you may have some bargaining room as far as features but I've never encountered a situation where the luthier quotes a price and expects the buyer to make a counter-offer.

It can be much more confusing when buying ouds second-hand from individuals.
Doc139
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 7-27-2013 at 09:53 PM

Thank you for your opinions which I appreciate and agree with, especially Samir's and Brian's! But I don't know what should be "distasteful" about putting my question (quoting oudistcamp). When I think more about it I agree totally with you that probably no luthier will get rich in his business. And that there is a huge difference purchasing an instrument "in the souk" or going to a well known luthier. I was just unsure about what is use and what not, especially in the arabic countries - I am more familiar with how things are going in european countries when entering a luthiers shop...
Thanks again,
Alexander

Go To Top