Not logged in [Login - Register]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: PEG REAMER AND SHAVE OPTIONS
LewdOud
Oud Admirer

[*] posted on 7-30-2013 at 05:10 AM
PEG REAMER AND SHAVE OPTIONS

I'm looking for some help regarding purchasing a shave and reamer to install new pegs on my oud.

I tried a few local luthieries, and the average price for installing 12 pegs was about $150 (about the price of buying a shave and reamer set) and I would also like to learn a bit myself.

I bought a set of boxwood pegs from arabinstruments. they taper from .9cm to .7cm (1:25) but I read on other thread that the standard taper is 1:30.

My oud also seems to have a taper of 1:30 (based on my somewhat accurate measurements).

whats the best option here:
-should i buy a 1:30 and shave down the pegs?
-should i buy a 1:25 and ream out the holes?
-should i buy different pegs?
-am i way over my head and should just go to the luthier?

also where is a good place to buy a reamer and shave online?

thanks
Brian Prunka
Oud Junkie

Mood: Stringish

[*] posted on 7-30-2013 at 06:02 AM

buy 1:30 and shave the pegs. You may have to ream the holes slightly to get a perfect fit. 1:30 is a better taper, the pegs will tune more easily.

YouTube lessons and resources

Follow on Instagram
My oud music on YouTube
www.brianprunka.com

My u2u inbox is over capacity, please contact me through my website
SamirCanada

[*] posted on 7-30-2013 at 06:18 AM

Hi there,
learn to do it yourself I would say. Violin luthiers are honestly nuts I once was quoted $20 a peg some years ago when I didnt know to do it myself.

I got my reamer from LMI: $40
https://www.lmii.com/products/tools-services/reamers/peghole-reamers

and the peg shaver from ebay $65

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/USA-made-Adjustable-Violin-Peg-Shaver-Viola-...

I am happy with both.
good luck

@samiroud Instagram
samiroudmaker@gmail.com
jdowning
Oud Junkie

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 7-30-2013 at 11:49 AM

A 1:30 taper peg is fine. If you are handy at woodworking it is easy enough to make your own peg cutter or shaper that will be an exact fit to the reamer taper that you purchase - the reamer being used to make the shaper. Here is one good luthier made example - used for bone pegs but works equally well for hardwood.

http://www.mikeouds.com/messageboard/viewthread.php?tid=3959&pa...

This is a topic the has been discussed a number of times on the forum - always best to do a forum search for more information. Try searching for example for - peg reamer, peg cutter, peg shaper, peg fitting.
LewdOud
Oud Admirer

[*] posted on 7-30-2013 at 07:52 PM

Thanks guys!

I'll give the set SamirCanada posted a try. I think making a shave might a bit past my reach since i'm just starting out with this.
jdowning
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 7-31-2013 at 04:41 AM

Note that the experience of lute makers is that true boxwood is not the best of materials for pegs as it takes a long time to season so tends to remain unstable for years - with the result that pegs tend to suddenly 'pop out' of a pegbox with humidity changes.

This may not be so much of a problem for oud and violin pegs that are generally shorter in length than lute pegs?

The best materials for pegs are the fruitwoods - particularly plum or pear (usually stained black). Unless you can make your own pegs these materials may not be an option (although they might be available for purchase from lute peg makers?)

Good luck
LewdOud
Oud Admirer

[*] posted on 7-31-2013 at 10:12 PM

Great to know, thanks. I chose boxwood more for availability than anything.

And the comment about violin luthiers being a bit over the top is very justified (well, in Vancouver anyway). The last place I visited also gave a $20/ peg price.
I asked "honestly, don't you think $240+tax is too much to charge to fit these pegs" and he said "well that's the price for violins, you see the violin is a precision instrument"......right, and I guess I'm holding a 2-by-4 with strings!
SamirCanada

[*] posted on 8-1-2013 at 04:54 AM

hahaha I found the attitude here in Ottawa to be the same Lewdoud.

I took the oud of the bag there and the look of fear and disgust like he was saying to himself "get this abomination with strings out of here before the others around think I respect any other instrument than the violin the most perfect instrument in history" I swear I think he took 3 steps back like he was scared that if he touched it he might loose his soul.

@samiroud Instagram
samiroudmaker@gmail.com
Microber
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 8-1-2013 at 10:59 AM

:))
feyizu
Oud Admirer

[*] posted on 2-8-2015 at 08:55 PM

Hii, dears,

I've bought new ebony pegs for my 14 years old oud and Iwould like to shape them by myself. However I'am really confused about which shaper is suitable for my oud. As far as learned from posts here, I have to buy one with 1:30 taper..but some other measurements confused me, where "Details about Violin tools, New violin pegs tools 3/4-4/4 size, violin pegs reels shaver" I Could not understand what are 3/4 or 4/4.

Could you please help me to understand what these measurements are. Thanks a lot.
jdowning
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 2-9-2015 at 05:17 AM

Violins come in 9 sizes from 4/4 which is full size for adults - down to smaller sizes for children. 3/4 is the next size down from full size (1 inch shorter in overall length than 4/4). Smaller instruments would require smaller pegs although the same peg sizes are likely used for both 4/4 and 3/4 violins.
feyizu
Oud Admirer

[*] posted on 2-10-2015 at 04:06 AM

Quote: Originally posted by jdowning  
Violins come in 9 sizes from 4/4 which is full size for adults - down to smaller sizes for children. 3/4 is the next size down from full size (1 inch shorter in overall length than 4/4). Smaller instruments would require smaller pegs although the same peg sizes are likely used for both 4/4 and 3/4 violins.

Ohh, understand, actually these measurements are not directly related with our oud subject, however all the tools are sold with violin or viola mesurements. Now this is new question: Whic size reamer and shaver suitable with our oud's pegs?(because only the description given with tool is 1/2,3/4 violin etc.) which one sholud I have to chose?
Thank you for your reply.
SamirCanada

[*] posted on 2-10-2015 at 06:30 AM

4/4 is the standard adult size violin. I doubt the pegs size changes with the smaller size violins.

For oud purposes you have 2 viable choices. Installing standard violin pegs with a 1:30 taper or installing Viola pegs which are thicker and some people prefer them. The reamer at 1:30 will work for both violin/viola pegs.

Also, the shaver is usually adjustable to your reamer.

@samiroud Instagram
samiroudmaker@gmail.com
jdowning
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 2-10-2015 at 07:24 AM

See here for examples of violin peg sizes from 4/4 down to 1/16

http://www.touchstonetonewoods.co.uk/products/violin-pegs-150/violi...
Alfaraby
Oud Junkie

Mood: Cool

[*] posted on 2-10-2015 at 07:41 AM

Reamer is the most important item for installing all wooden pegs for any instrument, not just ouds. It's used in violin family, ouds and qanouns; however for oud, violin, viola, a 1:30 taper is used, while for celli and qanouns a 1:25 taper is chosen. Violin, viola and oud pegs come in 1:30 taper, so choosing the exact reamer ensures a smooth and precise friction with the peg-box "walls" and prevents jumping of the peg.
Taper is measured by subtracting the shaft's tail diameter from the top thicker diameter of the shaft, divided into the shaft's length (9-7=2÷60= 1/30). This how you check the precision of a peg. Any deviation, beyond standard deviation, of a manufacturer would result in jumping pegs, therefore, we should insist to get the precise cone, unless we'd use a shaver.
I shall vote against the shaver for the complicity involved while shaving different species of woods.

Good luck

Yours indeed
Alfaraby

alfarabymusic@gmail.com

Go To Top