Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: trouble in chosing a plectrum
sandranis
Oud Lover

[*] posted on 8-5-2013 at 07:16 AM
trouble in chosing a plectrum

Hello, all

I need desperately some help in chosing the appropriate "Richa" to play the oud with: I gave the classical guitar, after almosts 12 years of learning and practice for the OUD. I live in a place in FRANCE where there is practically no one teaching lessons, so I have been travelling and learnig as well I could with the teachers I meet and when there are available. i have also taking part in trainigs( master-classes) with several teachers, from different backgrounds, including 3 from Palestine: I hace got tens of ricchas , but each time the Palestinians recommand that I use soft and very narrow plectrums( Sammer Makhoul, Ahmad Khatib...), while I was very happy with richas from Algiers, from Oudstrings, from Egypt( horn of bull, feathers of eagle...
In fact apart from the 3 palestinians, no one seems "troubled" with heavy, hard and large richas, while I am really disappointed, even discouraged....Because I feel as though I shall have to do it all again( getting used to the new thing, holding it, striking....this is very frustrating to me, so I am asking a question: how come there are so many different sizes and "hardenesses" of plectrum...while my masters are really skillfull....Can anybody provide an answer, many thanks again to all, Sandranis,:bounce::bounce::bounce::bounce:
Alfaraby
Oud Junkie

Mood: Cool

[*] posted on 8-5-2013 at 10:07 PM

Risha is like a pen. Some like fountain, while other prefer ballpoint, rollerball.. etc.
What you need is a risha you can use to produce the sound you desire. No one can choose it for you. Every player has more than ten at least, but only one, or maybe two, are normally picked to play with, depending on the mood at the moment and /or the acoustic circumstances around. Soft, narrow risha is usually selected to ensure a swift, smooth, slippery move, downwards and upwards, while stiff wide risha is chosen when louder sound production is needed, like playing with other instruments with no sound amplifying system is in power. YOU are the only one to decide what you actually want from your "pen" !
I know Sameer Makhoul's risha and played with it many times. It's the perfect one to produce the sound HE prefers.
The main issue is to play as much as you can, with this risha or another.
Good luck
Yours indeed
Alfaraby

alfarabymusic@gmail.com
majnuunNavid
Oud Junkie

Mood: Dude, where's my Oud?

[*] posted on 8-5-2013 at 11:37 PM

Alfaraby is right. It is up to you. Don't use one just because it is recommended to you. Try many and decide which one you like and which produces the sound you want. Each Oud player has their own sound.

I had been making my Mizrab by hand for many years out of many different types of plastics, until I found the Mizrabs on oudstrings.com. I think these are the best in terms of material. They are strong and do not wear out easily, and produce different sounds. But you should shape it to your preference. You can alter the width and thickness. Everyone's hand and wrist is different, and so two people cannot use the same mizrab.

Best of luck! Keep practicing!

sandranis
Oud Lover

[*] posted on 8-16-2013 at 03:24 AM

Thanks to both of you, for your great explanations. It is wonderful that I was absolutely thinking the same thing: since I started practicing the guitar and later the OUD, I met with difficulties and "intricacies" because I have no teacher expert in the topic. But each time, I keep thinking "you'll be your best teacher". In fact I have about 20 plectrums, and one from oudstrings, 2 from Egyptian bull, and others, plastics, soft, hard, very hard, even richa made by hand from the material of a tyre...
I think you are two golden boys, many tahnks again, ALFARABY and MajnuunNDavid, cherio, Sandranis:applause::bounce::applause::bounce::applause::bounce::bounce:

Go To Top