Not logged in [Login - Register]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Turkish Ouds on ebay
Bodhi
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 8-7-2013 at 02:20 PM
Turkish Ouds on ebay

Hi all just wanted to get peoples opinion on this Oud from ebay and the rest of the Ouds in this catagory on there! Cankaya Musikevi have been selling there instruments at mad prices on ebay for awhile and I wondered if any of these Ouds are actually worth even half a Sandi!?

heres the link:
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/MAX-TURKISH-STRING-INSTRUMENT-CHESTNUT-WO...
Alfaraby
Oud Junkie

Mood: Cool

[*] posted on 8-7-2013 at 03:17 PM

Just to complete the whole picture and to be fair, Sandi offers ouds on ebay starting from 250 up to 2000 $. What is the difference between them, I don't really know, but seems that Sandi is an oud factory. These articles, both of Sandi & Cankaya are successful joinery works, but far from getting close to a musical instrument. I had some very painful experiences with this kind of joinery in my early oud-life. I tried every possible way to let them "talk" but they insisted to remain mute, so I gave up, quit and never came back.
On the other hand, these goods eventually meet their consumers, otherwise they would not be made and remade over the years.

Yours indeed
Alfaraby

alfarabymusic@gmail.com
elreyrico
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 8-7-2013 at 10:21 PM
about Sandi ouds

Hi Bodhi,

Sandi (Father and son) are well known luthiers who know how to make excellent quality ouds.

They have a factory were they produce ouds from "student" models up to (almost) "professionnal". Personally, I have the VMIU-50 model and I am very happy with it. I do not know how the lower models sound.

Of course, it is produced in relatively series, so it is not comparable with an unique oud produced by a luthier (but is sold at a price at least 2 or 3 time higher) Also in a serie, the quality (or better said the quality of the tone) may vary from one instrument to another.

It may be limiting only if you are already a very experienced player and/or want a very special tone, with buzz like the one of Faruk Turunz for example. This seems to be the case of Alfaraby.

Finally, regarding your question about the other ouds on sale on ebay, i would say that their quality COULD be comparable that of the sandi ouds BUT you never know.

Personally if I wanted to buy an oud on ebay in this price range, and have to choose between a sandi oud and a "no brand" oud, I would go for the first one.

But the best thing would be to go and try the instrument of course.

regards

eric

Doc139
Oud Junkie

Mood: oud-sick

[*] posted on 8-7-2013 at 10:22 PM

I just like your keen words and your sharp tongue, Alfaraby... as long as they are not overshooting the mark! (they only rarely do!)

But then Alfaraby, tell us, if most of the oudmakers nowadays are just carpenters doing only "joinery work": where DO we find the decent oud that really "talks"? If one has not the chance like you to own already several Nahats, Mowais, etc. ... ;)

always yours,
Alexander
Bodhi
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 8-8-2013 at 02:34 AM

Wow, good responses, even a little heat from Alfaraby ;)

I owned a Sandi when I first started out with Oud, the most basic model they do a GK-10 i think. Anyway it was a fantastic starter oud. I paid £350 for it and now its on e-bay for £200 with postage, I think that is just an increadible price and never mind some of the more expensive Ouds! Everything is half-price or more! Crazy o_0

My initial idea was to see why people would really bother to buy these other Ouds (mostly from Izmir I think) when Sandi is doing for sure a better quality instrument! Actually I wasn't sure was I missing something... the Ouds from Izmir look nice etc. but as Alfaraby says, good joiners can do work like this.

I am in the market for an Oud as I have been left Oudless for about 6 months unfortunately my budget is limited and I am hoping to pick up something for around the £250 mark, I have been holding out for a s/h piece but i think i may get too itchy and buy one of the Sandi's. Unless Alfaraby has a Nahat he has no room for ;) :p

thanks
jack
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 8-8-2013 at 07:08 PM

I can only hope that my reply goads Alfaraby into another of his entertaining and welcome diatribes. I purchased a Sandi oud on ebay early this year. The oud was new, but had been forgotten in their warehouse for over a decade. Rosewood and padauk bowl, spruce top. Built as light as a feather. And a beautiful voice comes from her. That and a form-fitted hard case all for $400. Unbelievable actually. Truly talented joinery work indeed.
Alfaraby
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 8-9-2013 at 03:29 AM

Quote: Originally posted by jack  
I can only hope that my reply goads Alfaraby into another of his entertaining and welcome diatribes.

Quote: Originally posted by Doc139  
"overshooting the mark" :(
where DO we find the decent oud that really "talks"?

There are several great living luthiers in the OUD FAQ THREAD, here :
http://www.mikeouds.com/messageboard/viewthread.php?tid=6809
Most are capable of making great ouds for relatively fair prices. Good Luthiers don't extinct or just vanish. They indirectly deliver the "torch" to younger generation. Contemporary makers are the students of the ancestors, though they were born, years after the latters had passed away. Living luthiers are apprentices of Nahat & Manol. They have studied their instruments in all its particulars and came into great conclusions and implemented them in their living breathing ouds. I count on temporary luthiers they'd make the perfect oud, but we shall be very patient till this happens.
In all times, there were makers who tried their best, but failed & were totally forgotten. Everyday we hear another name that we haven't heard before in Syria & Egypt and I'm sure Turkish do hear the same in their country.

Am I sharp tongued ? Yes I am. My tongue is my only weapon, but aging weapons normally wear out & might therefore "overshoot the target", my dear doc.

Jack, this happens all the time. Even the worst "overshooter" sniper manages to hit a nail on the head. Out of several tens of joinery works, one may run into a rare instrument. It happened to me in Cairo. My friends and I bought a 20$ oud for our stay use there and ended up fighting over it :). It was the best oud we've bump into in our "oud vacation" in the capital of the Arab world. Can we count on those 20$ ouds ? I doubt. On the other hand, skilled adept luthiers can assure that every instrument they make would be of the same caliber like my friend's 20$ oud :) !

Cheer up fellows
Yours indeed
Alfaraby

alfarabymusic@gmail.com
jack
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 8-9-2013 at 08:13 AM

Exactly what I was hoping for Alfaraby. If you had a column in a paper, I'd read it.
Doc139
Oud Junkie

Mood: oud-sick

[*] posted on 8-9-2013 at 12:39 PM

I agree to that, Jack! :applause:
Alexander
hamed
Oud Junkie

Mood: Iss'al rouhak

[*] posted on 8-10-2013 at 09:41 PM

Hey guys,
Lets keep in mind that the sound of a oud is also derived from the quality of the strings used. I'm sure these "lower quality" ouds we are discussing will sound great with a set of premium strings. Also let's not forget that Mr. Alfaraby is a seasoned oud connoisseur and his taste is very advanced!
Alfaraby
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 8-11-2013 at 07:38 AM

Quote: Originally posted by Bodhi  
Unless Alfaraby has a Nahat he has no room for

I do, but it's 20 times as much :)

Cheers,

Yours indeed
Alfaraby

alfarabymusic@gmail.com
Christian1095
Oud Junkie

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 8-26-2013 at 02:15 PM

For the price, I'd be more inclined to look at this oud... It's a little more out of your budget, but the inluded sound file sounds better to my ear...

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Vintage-1987-TURKISH-OUD-UD-high-quality-...

I know very little about Turkish ouds, but I do know that for arabic ouds, its really hard to find a good one under $500 USD unless you get lucky. The oud you listed above "looks" pretty but I was unimpressed with the sound file.

Chris Walters
zmanavoo
Oud Admirer

[*] posted on 8-27-2013 at 04:15 PM

I just bought this Sandi oud on eBay.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/181202560052?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_...

The oud I have broke when I was trying to tune it because I guess It was getting too tight. I bought it off a guy on Craigslist for $70, it was a decorative oud. I decided my next oud I wanted to go big. I heard many good things about Sandi ouds so that's the reason I got this. It's not here yet will arrive between sep 3- sep 10.
josephgalindo
Oud Admirer

[*] posted on 1-16-2014 at 03:13 AM

Turkish Ouds on ebay is not shocking for every one. Ebay is very big site and many people are used to sale the product , buying some product as well as earn a money like as how to make money on ebay. if you want to know more then follow this link. thanks
hussamd
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 1-16-2014 at 05:43 AM

I just received one of the Arabic scale Sandi ouds with a hard shell case for $400 shipped to the US. The quality is very nice. I just returned a more expensive Egyptian oud after paling in comparison. It took a month to ship but it was worth it. I can only imagine what the upper end ones will sound like.

I would buy again these Sandi ouds with no hesitation.

Hussam
hussamd
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 1-31-2014 at 01:59 PM

Update,
The Sandi oud (Arabic scale) was a cheap way for me to tell if I want to play the oud. Well it worked and I love the instrument. It keeps its tune well and has a nice sound. It was not a big jump from guitar so I am happy about that. I decided to get one of Mr Ghadban's ouds to take me further into this journey. I will be putting this nice affordable oud for sale in the next few weeks. Let me know if anyone is in the Chicago area looking for a beautiful and affordable oud.

Hussam

Go To Top