Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: im ready to smash my oud, my learning sucks
palestine48
Oud Junkie

Mood: Free Palestine

[*] posted on 11-30-2004 at 01:01 AM
im ready to smash my oud, my learning sucks

Im going crazy. I cant seem to hit the proper notes. i try to maintain proper hand position and when i check my positioning and my chromatic tuner, im still getting many notes wrong. This happens escpeacialy when i need to shift up and down the scale. my music foundation sucks and smetimes it takes me forever to know note is what. im going nuts and ready to smash the damn thing!!!!!!!!!
samzayed
Oud Junkie

Mood: Mashee el hal

[*] posted on 11-30-2004 at 04:37 AM

First, you need to relax and don't feel so discouraged. This takes time. If you've already put it in your head that your "music foundation sucks" then you're just going to keep yourself back. Get that out of your head NOW, and say "your music foundation rules." Don't get a big-head but be confident.

Secondly, are you fingers moving out of position, and your note is off? There's a thread that was posted by Elie that shows how to place dots on the top side of the neck where all the notes are. This way your hand will get used to the positions. You should look for it.

Thirdly, you're posture, the way you hold the oud, the way you sit, etc. may be causing this as well. You need to verify this with an advanced ouds player. I was intitially self taught, but when I finally started lessons, I had many fundemental problems with these areas that were holding me back in many ways. You really need to start with a teacher, and then you can veer off on your own if you choose.

Good luck,
Sam
mavrothis
Oud Junkie

Mood: big band envy

[*] posted on 11-30-2004 at 06:08 AM

Sam is absolutely right,

Don't let early setbacks discourage you so much. Nobody is born a master of any instrument. Everything takes hard work. Take your time, and remember that you are learning oud because you love oud, not because you have a timetable to be able to play certain things.

Take your time and enjoy each single note, we are so lucky to have this instrument. Before long, believe me, you will get by these setbacks and you will see a whole new road open up in front of you that will lead you to even greater progress and possibilities for expression.

:D

Take care,

mavrothis

http://www.mtkontanis-music.com

"...desirable and comfortable as culture may be, an artist should not lie down in it. "
--Edgard Varèse
Zulkarnain
Oud Junkie

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 11-30-2004 at 06:31 AM

Hi Palistine

Email me ok

Salam
Mike
Super Administrator

Mood: Happy

[*] posted on 11-30-2004 at 10:06 AM

Sam and Mavro are right. You know, when I first started I hated to practice. I felt like I was getting nowhere fast, and I wanted to get there yesterday. Huh??? :shrug: Take your time, be happy, and practice the little things. Early on you won't feel like you are making music, but those boring practice drills are important. You will appreciate them later.

Hang in there,
Mike

Jonathan
Oud Junkie

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 11-30-2004 at 10:24 AM

I think marking the neck like samzayed said with the correct positions for the notes is a great idea. I felt like you did for a long time. I started playing in 1996, practiced for several months, then gave up. When I re-started, I marked the neck with the correct positions, and it really made all the difference in the world.
You will still have to check your fingering with the tuner, because it is easy to get "off the mark" a little bit, but so what? Heck, a lot of the time I just left the tuner on, and when I thought something sounded off, I checked it with the tuner. It used up the batteries a bit, but in the end it was a small price to pay. Good luck.
palestine48
Oud Junkie

Mood: Free Palestine

[*] posted on 11-30-2004 at 10:32 AM

thanks guys, that was the encouragement I was lookin for. I just posted to vent my frustration. I hope you guys dont mind. I agree with guys 100% but I felyt liek i needed to hear it from someone. I did some small markings on my oud with tape but i try to focus more on sound than visual because I dont want to feel like I am cheating myself. But sounds like from you guys its not really cheating after all.
I have a teacher and hes great. He is from the old school so he has a stricter style of teaching where if u dont get it he will act frustrated but its only an act to encourage me, which i dont mind.

I think when i practice I practice but maybe I am not focused enough. Sam did bring up a good point about posture because that seems easy to ignore.

Thanks for the encouragement guys, if there are any tips any of you guys can share to help all of us progress it will be very well appreciated. Thanks.

Go To Top