Not logged in [Login - Register]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Nazih Ghadban oud for sale in USA
Robert
Oud Admirer

[*] posted on 8-14-2013 at 06:50 AM
Nazih Ghadban oud for sale in USA

I purchased this lovely 6-course Arabic oud just 2 weeks ago from Lebanese builder/musician Nazih Ghadban. The instrument is all that I had hoped for, but I am dismayed to find that my arthritic hands are too painful to play for more than a few minutes. I reluctantly have decided to offer the instrument for sale to someone better able to enjoy it.

I paid over $2000.USD for the oud with shipping, soft case and wooden packing crate. I am now listing it here for $1750. with a quality soft case and free shipping to the US 48 states.

The bowl is made of Lebanese walnut with two small stripes of maple and the top is spruce. The tuning pegs, fingerboard and pick guard are ebony. The neck, peg box and bridge are walnut with a bone string nut. It has a scale length of 60cm and is currently strung with Pyramid Orange.

You can see & hear Nazih playing this oud at this link:

http://youtu.be/m_Lg6_qqU2M

Please contact me with any questions you may have.

Many thanks,

Robert
Nottingham, NH USA
jack
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 8-14-2013 at 08:15 AM

You have posted pictures of two separate ouds, and the first one, Bashir Style 1173, is still for sale on Nazih's website.
Robert
Oud Admirer

[*] posted on 8-14-2013 at 09:01 AM
Nazih Ghadban oud for sale in USA

Thank you, Jack, for pointing that out. I have, hopefully, corrected the error.

Robert
jack
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 8-14-2013 at 10:08 AM

Sorry to hear about your hand pain Robert. I'd offer one idea, in an effort to help you keep the oud, and that is a playing technique without a risha. Of course this will not change the effect on your left hand, but if the pain comes from holding the risha, you could try the thumb technique in the video below. I don't think it would take long for you to learn to make beautiful sounds.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r0KN3_G56cg&feature=share&li...

Jack
Robert
Oud Admirer

[*] posted on 8-14-2013 at 11:09 AM

I appreciate your kind suggestion, but the issue is mainly with my left thumb and fingers. I'm a career builder of mandolin family instruments and I've experienced numerous hand injuries in 45 years of shop work. Arthritis has now developed in the damaged joints. Having played mandolin since childhood, I was hoping the nylon strings and low string tension of the oud would enable me to stay in the game. That's probably more than you really wanted to know, but it might help to make sense of why I want to sell Nazih's fine instrument. I am still able to make music on my button accordion, so I'm not totally out of it.
Doc139
Oud Junkie

Mood: oud-sick

[*] posted on 8-14-2013 at 10:02 PM

I am sorry for your arthritis problems, Robert, I wish you all the best, and keep up the music!
I own happily a Nazih Ghadban oud myself and I hope you will find a new owner who will be happy with it and love playing your oud. Good luck!
Alexander
slackandsteel
Oud Lover

[*] posted on 8-15-2013 at 05:55 PM

Robert, sorry to hear about your arthritis issues. As for stringed instruments, try a ukelele. Beautiful music can be made with it like any other instrument and the uke has really made a reimergence lately with uke clubs etc. They are compact, can go anywhere and make people smile.
Robert
Oud Admirer

[*] posted on 8-16-2013 at 08:39 AM

Thank you, gentlemen, for your good wishes and suggestions.

Robert
Robert
Oud Admirer

[*] posted on 8-23-2013 at 10:49 AM

The Ghadban oud is no longer available.

Robert
Nazih Ghadban
Oud Junkie

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 8-23-2013 at 10:47 PM

Dear Robert

Sahar #1230 is an excellent oud regarding its special old walnut (over 18years old) and its playability , I am surprised to see your thread offering it for sell !
At the same time I wish you a soon full recovery of your arthritis .

with my deep sincere regards
Nazih

Robert
Oud Admirer

[*] posted on 8-24-2013 at 06:30 AM

Dear Nazih,

I want to make it perfectly clear to everyone that my decision to sell your beautiful oud was motivated entirely by the pain in my hand.

I am very pleased with the high quality of your work and I thought you were patient and helpful throughout the process of choosing, purchasing and shipping the instrument.

The oud is no longer for sale because I have decided to keep it. Earlier this week, I started seeing a new doctor and I am encouraged to think he might be able to help. I am not ready to give up on my dream of playing the oud!

Many thanks,
Robert

Go To Top