Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Najib Shaheen
Brian Prunka
Oud Junkie

Mood: Stringish

[*] posted on 11-30-2004 at 04:03 PM
Najib Shaheen

Najib's website has some new pictures and audio clips of some ouds he's selling, including a 1922 Nahat.

Najib Shaheen
revaldo29
Oud Junkie

Mood: inspired

[*] posted on 11-30-2004 at 05:41 PM

Other than the nahat, Does he make these ouds himself?
Elie Riachi
Oud Junkie

Mood: Gebran Tueni Lives For Ever, 12-12-05.

[*] posted on 12-1-2004 at 07:17 PM

Wow. To my ears, the Nahat sounded the best by far, very rich sound. It sounds close to Jameel's replica of the Nahat I think (So I guess, there is hope when duplicating.)

The next best in my opinion is the Iraqi oud.

The worst sounding is the Syrian cedar top. I wonder if it is red cedar, which not the real cedar from what I read.
Ronny Andersson
Oud Junkie

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 12-1-2004 at 11:09 PM

Quote:
>The next best in my opinion is the Iraqi >oud.

This oud looks very much as one of the large ouds made by Fadel. The sound have little resemblance and the top register is descent but not the bas.

The worst sounding is the Syrian cedar top. I wonder if it is red cedar, which not the real cedar from what I read.
>>

This cedar specie is of genus Juniperus and have nothing in common with the real cedar of the genus Cedrus which is an authentic soundboard material. I belive some Turkish oud makers also use red cedar and I can't understand why.

Best wishes

Ronny
Elie Riachi
Oud Junkie

Mood: Gebran Tueni Lives For Ever, 12-12-05.

[*] posted on 12-2-2004 at 05:41 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Elie Riachi

I didn't mean that it sounds bad, it just ranked at the bottom for my taste. Anyway, they all sounded good and I am amazed at how different wach one sounds.

Regards,
Elie
revaldo29
Oud Junkie

Mood: inspired

[*] posted on 12-2-2004 at 05:35 PM

Man, that nahat sounds really good. Does anyone know how much they go for these days? Also, are they a good investment? I don't believe the value will drop because from what I understand, ouds appreciate as they age, but as far as deterioration goes, will that become an issue with an oud that old.
Jonathan
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 12-2-2004 at 10:49 PM

It does sound great. But, if you are asking about if it is a good investment, don't you think that the fact that the face has been changed would severely affect its collectibility? And, I would think, that its value would in no way compare with an original Nahat. But, I would be interested in others opinions. It just seems that once the face has been changed, then the sound characteristics of the oud would have changed so greatly, that it would no longer bring Nahat prices. I hate to look at ouds as an investment, though. But, since the question has been raised, perhaps with fewer and fewer people (or so it seems) playing the oud these days, that maybe an oud is not such a good investment after all.
Ronny Andersson
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 12-3-2004 at 02:28 AM

Quote:
Quote:

I didn't mean that it sounds bad, it just ranked at the bottom for my taste. Anyway, they all sounded good and I am amazed at how different wach one sounds.

Regards,
Elie

The basses and sustain is terrible.

Best wishes

Ronny
Ronny Andersson
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 12-3-2004 at 02:32 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Jonathan
It does sound great. But, if you are asking about if it is a good investment, don't you think that the fact that the face has been changed would severely affect its collectibility? And, I would think, that its value would in no way compare with an original Nahat. But, I would be interested in others opinions. It just seems that once the face has been changed, then the sound characteristics of the oud would have changed so greatly, that it would no longer bring Nahat prices. I hate to look at ouds as an investment, though. But, since the question has been raised, perhaps with fewer and fewer people (or so it seems) playing the oud these days, that maybe an oud is not such a good investment after all.

I think that most oud luthiers care little about authencity.

Best wishes

Ronny
Jonathan
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 12-3-2004 at 07:24 AM

Perhaps you are right with luthiers (although I am not sure), but I don't think that that is the case with players. And in regards to revaldo's question, what is of concern to other players is most important. If somebody had the choice, all other things being equal, a player would go for an original Nahat over one that has been heavily modified.

Go To Top