Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Risha material-experiences and advice
Bodhi
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 8-25-2013 at 01:42 PM
Risha material-experiences and advice

Hi all,

I wanted to start this thread for a while but never had the chance to get my head around it but now here goes... :)

I have in the past, as many of us have, used random pieces of plastic and discarded cable ties of various thickness/stiffness to try to find my "perfect" risha. I have also tried the Yissi 10 for a $1 or whatever pieces from ebay and also a few pyramid sizes. I was lucky enough to get a horn risha from resident Udi John Vergara which has served me very well for the last year and a half (I have been very careful to keep it oiled and well filed) until disaster struck and i seem to have lost it! :(

So although I intend to purchase a new risha from John at some point in the near future i would like to hear what people think of other materials that are available and also have a post with as much info on risha materials as possible... I thought we could start with the stock list of risha blanks from oudstrings.com:

1, Tortite
2, Mizrite
3, Talonite

any opinions on these 3 materials?

thanks in advance
Bodhi
Danielo
Oud Junkie

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 8-26-2013 at 02:02 PM

Hi,

I personally settled to the unexpensive horn rishas sold on Amazon :
http://www.amazon.com/Oud-Pick-Horn-Risha-Pack/dp/B000669400
typically one or two in each pack have to be thrown away, and they are not usable out of the box ; however they are easy to work with sandpaper.

I prefer by far their sound over all the plastic rishas that I tried (including Mizrite and Pyramid).

Dan
Bodhi
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 8-27-2013 at 06:15 AM

The horn risha I had was the BEST risha I have had... and if these are that cheap they are worth a go for the money! I do like to try and keep the luthiers in the loop though so I would recommend John Vergara's to people if they don't have the time or inclination to scrape away at horn for a few hours!

I remember once someone posted on here about a horn risha they had made themself from a full cow horn... this is probably the cheapest way to get a horn risha but... experience is often more important than price ;)

Thanks Dan but could you give a description of the difference between the mizrite and horn and Pyramid?
luan
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 8-27-2013 at 06:13 PM

I've found that turtle shell rishas are the best in terms of tone.

Go To Top