Printable Version  
Author: Subject: tutorial to make oud stand
suz_i_dil
Oud Junkie

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 8-27-2013 at 05:01 AM
tutorial to make oud stand

hello,

i think to remember someone opened a thread sometime ago, to explain how to build oud stand.
Do you remember of this thread, I cannot find it again ?

Thanks for your help

Fritz
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 10-10-2013 at 12:39 PM

Hi you

I remember some pics of custom made Oud-stands made of two main parts of wood, foldable, and very elegant looking.

The inner curve was adapted to the bowl of the specific Oud, and the instrument was protected by some cloth layed on the wood in stripes... perhaps I can make a sketch in my CAD-system... I also need some of those stands and will make some... Could you be satisfied with a sketch and a list of material needed ? Are you able to make an stand by yourself ? Or go to a workshop ? If you can wait, I will make one, and than you could have a look how it is to be used.

Kind regards

Fritz

Music is the food for the soul
suz_i_dil
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 10-11-2013 at 02:16 AM

Hi Fritz,

Indeed, your description is the thing I remind.
It's a very kind proposition from, and would be glad to see a sketch about. I wish to begin wood working, in amateur. And thought an oud stand may be a nice challenge to begin that...So sure I can wait, and nothing urgent about !

Thanks again
If you wish we can also get in touch via email.

Best

BaniYazid
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 10-11-2013 at 08:27 AM

Hi all !

Could it be the one from Yaron ?
http://www.ostrin.org/PoW_gallery/album03

Regards
Fritz
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 10-11-2013 at 02:52 PM

Quote: Originally posted by suz_i_dil  
Hi Fritz,

Indeed, your description is the thing I remind.
It's a very kind proposition from, and would be glad to see a sketch about. I wish to begin wood working, in amateur. And thought an oud stand may be a nice challenge to begin that...So sure I can wait, and nothing urgent about !

Thanks again
If you wish we can also get in touch via email.

Best

Hi suz_i_dil :-)

I knew I was right by what you meant. The thing I remember was really a nice item, and I think, the man with the idea and pics he was posting (here ?) does agree when I take his idea to create my own measurements in making such a stand.

Good wishes to you

Fritz

Fritz
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 10-11-2013 at 02:56 PM

Quote: Originally posted by BaniYazid  
Hi all !

Could it be the one from Yaron ?
http://www.ostrin.org/PoW_gallery/album03

Regards

Hi Bani

Exactly those pics I saw after looking for the stand one has created in origin. Yaron is following his own concept to make such a stand, and that´s it ! Everyone seems to be invited to do the same, I think.. after the originals have been posted a long time ago...

May be in the near future I´ll make my first stand... for my next Oud... the Padouk-Oud :-)

Kind regards

Fritz

suz_i_dil
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 10-21-2013 at 03:07 AM

Hello,

here is my try at making an oud stand. I only used cheap materials, like amalgamated wood, as I was absolutely not sure of my ability for working wood.
Maybe I'll make another version at an occasion, with better looking woods.

Regards

[file]29173[/file] [file]29175[/file] [file]29177[/file] [file]29179[/file] [file]29181[/file]

Fritz
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 10-22-2013 at 10:40 AM

Hello,

here is my try at making an oud stand. I only used cheap materials, like amalgamated wood, as I was absolutely not sure of my ability for working wood.
Maybe I'll make another version at an occasion, with better looking woods.

Regards

Hi suz_i_dil

Go on with woodworking... !

Your design looks a bit massive, the thing we both have in mind has been more elegant, and the face of the Oud was looking outward... know what I mean ?

The material you used is good for experiments with flat surfaces. I will use it, too... to create a design matching the idea we have in mind... but it might take a while... I am very busy with two new Ouds :)

I wrote you a mail, do you received it ?

Give a short note please, if it has arrived...

Best wishes

Fritz

suz_i_dil
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 10-23-2013 at 01:38 PM

Hello Fritz,

thanks for your kind words

sure I received your email. I replied twice, didn't you received anything ? Maybe in the spam file ?

Indeed the design is more massive and on another version I think I would lighten it. I should calculate this, because of the oud leaning backward. The thing need to be stable.

I choose to make the oud inward because of 2 reasons;
*I have several ouds and it was easier to make this way something that fit my different ouds (stringlength always the same but bowls are rather different)

* because I think it is not good that the oud only lean on the neck/peghead and the bottom of the bowl. I don't know if it is good with years for an oud to lean like this. Just a thought anyway. But I think It is better to allocate the pressure on different points. With the oud leaning inward it allow to allocate the contact points on the bottom of the bowl, soundboard and all the neck...More or less because correcting the fingerboard thickness was tricky ..

Out of the design I would make on a new version something easier to travel with

and last but not least...the most secure thing still the hard case :)

Fritz
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 10-25-2013 at 11:57 AM

Hello Fritz,

thanks for your kind words

sure I received your email. I replied twice, didn't you received anything ? Maybe in the spam file ?

Indeed the design is more massive and on another version I think I would lighten it. I should calculate this, because of the oud leaning backward. The thing need to be stable.

I choose to make the oud inward because of 2 reasons;
*I have several ouds and it was easier to make this way something that fit my different ouds (stringlength always the same but bowls are rather different)

* because I think it is not good that the oud only lean on the neck/peghead and the bottom of the bowl. I don't know if it is good with years for an oud to lean like this. Just a thought anyway. But I think It is better to allocate the pressure on different points. With the oud leaning inward it allow to allocate the contact points on the bottom of the bowl, soundboard and all the neck...More or less because correcting the fingerboard thickness was tricky ..

Out of the design I would make on a new version something easier to travel with

and last but not least...the most secure thing still the hard case :)

Hi again...

I found a pic of someone using the design of the stand we both had seen. While using this pic as a scheme I try to make a sketch and a list of parts... may be I´ll post the pic I saw...

I think the mail I wrote you didn´t arrive ?

Greetings

Fritz

suz_i_dil
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 10-26-2013 at 08:42 AM

Hello Fritz,

I received a single email from you. Maybe the first one ?
Sometimes it may happen with hotmail if you have attached a file.

Best

Fritz
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 10-31-2013 at 09:04 AM

Hello Fritz,

I received a single email from you. Maybe the first one ?
Sometimes it may happen with hotmail if you have attached a file.

Best

Hi Suz

Very clear ideas do you have :)

With your postings in mind I try to come on every aspect...

Yes, the thing is massive, but I think (forgive me) that the small "bridges" of the boards will not be as rigid as you want to. I am telling about the small inner edges in the boards, wich are sawn to the specific form. You know what I mean ?

And, by the way... I do not think that you have to think about the leaning of the Oud face outwards. Keep in mind the very low weight of a good instrument... it has to be a big force with would be able to give the neck another action. Take a weight-meter and check the weight of the neck pushing on the upper part of such a stand... and imagine this weight could be able to harm the instrument... ?

This is my opinion and I never want to discredit your work !!! Check out and check all you can do creating a stand matching YOUR purposes :) Transportable ? What about levers ? A vertically foldable stand perhaps ? Or something you can easily dismount and mount with less and flat parts ?

It is a very interesting thing to do while beginning woodworking. A thing with many needs... sketching, tools, particular thinking about the design... Go on with it :) :) :)

Me on the other side will check out my ideas, and you are the first one getting the results :)

Best wishes, and take care

Fritz

Go To Top