Not logged in [Login - Register]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Faruk Türünz's ouds ?
Sawsan
Oud Lover

[*] posted on 9-28-2013 at 03:11 PM
Faruk Türünz's ouds ?

Hello folks! I am new to this forum. Well, not really new, but it's the first time I make use of it. I am looking for a high quality oud for a reasonable price. It's not that I think $2.000 or $3.000 is too much for an oud, but like I said I am new and want to start with a simpler one so that if I quit anytime I won't have spent $3000 on the oud.

Now, i have a couple of questions: Has anyone tried Faruk Türünz's ouds before? And has anyone tried this particular oud? the reduced priced one http://www.oudmaster.com/reduced-price.php
Like you see, the description doesn't have a sound clip so i wonder about the sound. Also, the woods he used are Indian laurel and padouk. Are they good? I mean I'm new to this whole oud thing, but from what I saw until now most makers used brazilian rosewood, walnut, teck Burma, Mahogany...,etc. I am just wondering if the kind of wood being used is in making this oud is the reason of the reduced price? And does this necessarily make it a "bad" quality oud?

Looking forward to hearing from you guys and thanks in advance!
Jody Stecher
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 9-28-2013 at 04:34 PM

Faruk Turunz reduced price line of ouds are good instruments. You can't go wrong. And they come in small sizes. See FT's own recent post about this. Padauk has tonal properties similar to Brazilian rosewood but there is a big difference:it is legal. As for Laurel, well take a look at the Faruk Turunz website. http://www.oudmaster.com/finished-ouds.php

There are two Laurel ouds there that each sold for $2850. If Laurel were bad tone wood I think those ouds would still be for sale.

This site (mikeouds) has lots of info. If you use the search function you will find out most of what you want to know.
Sawsan
Oud Lover

[*] posted on 9-29-2013 at 06:00 PM

Ummm.... do you mean Brazilian rosewood is illegal? - just curious-
And thanks a lot for taking the time to address my questions and concerns! =)
Brian Prunka
Oud Junkie

Mood: Stringish

[*] posted on 9-29-2013 at 06:51 PM

Brazilian rosewood is illegal to transport into or out of any country that is signatory to the CITES treaty.
Whether it is illegal within a particular country varies according to the country. Since Turkey hasn't banned harvesting of sea turtles for their shells, I'd imagine they don't care about BR either. Whether you can bring it into your country is another matter. Most likely not legally.

YouTube lessons and resources

Follow on Instagram
My oud music on YouTube
www.brianprunka.com

My u2u inbox is over capacity, please contact me through my website
Jody Stecher
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 9-29-2013 at 07:52 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Sawsan  
Ummm.... do you mean Brazilian rosewood is illegal? - just curious-
And thanks a lot for taking the time to address my questions and concerns! =)

Where are you located? As Brian has written, above, if you are in a country that has signed the CITES treaty you may not legally bring dalbergia nigra (brazilian rosewood) across a border into that country. The chances of your oud being confiscated are not high but neither is it impossible. Anyway my point is that Padauk is superb tone wood and nobody cares what borders it crosses. I have one guitar with padauk back and sides and one oud with padauk as part of its bowl (and I had another) and they all sound excellent. To futher answer your questions, the main difference between Faruk Turunz Reduced Price line of ouds and his more expensive ones are the finish and the decorations. It does not have the laborious hand applied finish that takes days and days to do right. It's a simpler look. But still a good instrument. Because you are concerned with oud size you might do well looking in this direction because this oud model comes in small size also "zenne" size. Have a look at the measurements here:

http://www.mikeouds.com/messageboard/viewthread.php?tid=14227

But also you may be able to try out some ouds "hands on". There may even be a forum member near you with a good inexpensive oud for sale.
Sawsan
Oud Lover

[*] posted on 9-30-2013 at 01:36 AM

Interesting! I didn't know that- thank you guys!!!!

@ Jody, thanks heaps for your detailed answer- that helped a greaaaaaat deal! I am now in the US and I'd rather buy an oud from here or at least from Canada.. So, I'll leave Faruk's as my last option, but at least I now have an idea about his stuff.

But would you, Jody, and the other guys please take a look at these ouds and tell me your thoughts and like which one(s) you'd buy? It's overwhelming --there plenty of choices and seemingly good ones, but I'm trying to narrow-down the options and stick to my budget.. Long story short- most of the ones below are from al Oud Center as you'll see... some with videos, other not.. but I got the guy's # and we're supposed to talk soon, but I'd like to know your opinions, first.

P.S
I think no. 8 and a few other are already gone, however, I still want to know what you think about them, if possible.

1- http://www.ebay.com/itm/Syrian-Oud-Lute-Professional-made-By-Ibrahi...

2- http://dalymusic.com/store/index.php?p=catalog&mode=search&...
3- http://www.ebay.com/itm/Fathi-Amin-Egyptian-Professional-Oud-Hard-C...

4- https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=518811244876793&set=vb.3142...
5- https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=516919378399313&set=vb.3142...
6- https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=509288369162414&set=a.35...
7- http://www.ebay.com/itm/Syrian-Oud-Lute-Arabic-fretless-Guitar-w-So...
8- http://www.ebay.com/itm/Professional-Oud-Maurice-Shehata-/181208372...

9- https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=504387092985875&set=vb.3142...

farukturunz
Oud Junkie

Mood: hopeful

[*] posted on 9-30-2013 at 02:19 AM

Interesting! I didn't know that- thank you guys!!!!

Hello Sawsan, welcome to the Forums.

I would not tell about my ouds anymore after Jody's comment; but would like to give you a link to hear the sound of my Reduced Price Point Oud.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=laOd6DmIfPU

I would strictly advise you go with the oud in the first link in your post above ... I trust Ibrahim Sukar's ouds.

By the way, our last batch of this model is being constructed of Padouk + Anatolian Walnut. We are going to put picture of a sample of the new mixture on my website soon when the first one is completed.

With my best regards.

View user's profile Visit user's homepage View All Posts By User This user has MSN Messenger
Brian Prunka
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 9-30-2013 at 03:59 AM

"Arab Instruments" is in Israel, not the US, so consider shipping.

The first Sukar looks good, I think these are reliable instruments.
The other "syrian oud" with the floating bridge . . . I am skeptical.

These are all Arabic ouds—I am assuming that's what you want?

Turunz ouds are great, and he doesn't seem to be sacrificing much quality on the reduced price ouds. But his ouds are not that traditional Arabic sound (though he does make them for Arabic tuning). That said, his ouds sound beautiful . . . it's just not that Farid/Sounbati sound.

The ouds on the Dalymusic site are from Mid-East Manufacturing, an importer based in Florida. They mostly get student-grade ouds that are usually decent for learning on. Sometimes one will be surprisingly good, mostly you will end up wanting to upgrade within a couple of years. Some might disagree, but I think if you choose wisely, they are not a bad choice for someone with a very limited budget.

Where are you located?

Follow on Instagram
My oud music on YouTube
www.brianprunka.com

Brian Prunka
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 9-30-2013 at 04:05 AM

this oud by Faruk sounds amazing (Arabic tuning):
http://youtu.be/h7hz4t3UXso?t=2m52s

I think this is one of his regular ouds, though, not the reduced price.

Follow on Instagram
My oud music on YouTube
www.brianprunka.com

Jody Stecher
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 9-30-2013 at 08:52 AM

I am now in the US

Welcome to America. We are 3.79 million square miles (9.83 million km2). If you could be a bit more specific about your location our American forum members might be able to assist you with a hands-on, touch and hear, real live oud shopping experience.
Jody Stecher
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 9-30-2013 at 09:50 AM

But would you, Jody, and the other guys please take a look at these ouds and tell me your thoughts

I think that these are not 9 different ouds. The same ones appear again. Look carefully. The Najarian is an electric instrument and the sound is coming through an amp so there is no way to know how it sounds acoustically. The Sukar, which has repeat appearances in the list (unless it has a twin, not impossible) is the safest bet, but I personally don't like its sound very much. I've heard better Sukar ouds. The Floating Bridge oud on your list, which also has repeat appearances, is going to respond differently and sound different from the fixed bridge ouds. Find out what this means before you decide. Yes there's a lot to learn but being overwhelmed is OK. It will sort itself out over time. My other thought is *take your time*. Try out as many ouds as you can. Get a feel for the variety and what is possible. Listen and look on youtube and on this site. Then, when you have more solid information to guide you, you can buy your first oud. By then you might have more money as well! :-)
Brian Prunka
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 9-30-2013 at 11:05 AM

Quote: Originally posted by Jody Stecher  
The Sukar, which has repeat appearances in the list (unless it has a twin, not impossible) is the safest bet, but I personally don't like its sound very much. I've heard better Sukar ouds.

Yes, now that I've listened to the clip this oud sounds inferior to the average Sukar oud. This is unusual, ad they are generally very consistent.

Follow on Instagram
My oud music on YouTube
www.brianprunka.com

Sawsan
Oud Lover

[*] posted on 9-30-2013 at 12:42 PM

Yup, you guys are right! I just noticed that they are not nine different ouds. I apparently didn't double-check the links before I posted them. And, to be honest, I didn't find any of them to be particularly great, but I guess I’m just too excited and want to get started. I keep reading, but I can't map these information onto reality simply because I don't have the instrument yet - this can be boring and demotivating!:\ But I guess I'll take your advice Jody and just wait- By this time next month, i'll definitely have more solid background and better budget.

As for where in the US I am- I'm in the midwest, specifically Chicago. So, from now until next month, if there are any members who can assist with a hands-on oud that has that traditional Arabic sound- that would be beyond awesome and tremendously appreciated!

@ Brian Prunka: I totally agree with you regarding Faruk's pasha ouds - they're beautiful and apparently well made- but they don't have that arabic deep, shagi sound. (mab3ref shloon awesfha in English- hehe), mellow might be the word.
“it's just not that Farid/Sounbati sound” YES to this! EXACTLY Brian!
I am so much into 6arab, so I basically want an oud that would produce the best 6arabi sound, if this makes sense!

@ Faruk pasha: merci for stopping by.. I highly appreciate your explanation and recommendation! Since I resorted to wait until next month, I might get something other than the reduced price one.. this all depends on the options I’ll have by then. I’ll definitely let you know if I’m interested.

@ Lute: Thank you for setting my mind at rest vis-à-vis Faruk’s ouds! So nice of you! And by the way, your nickname is NICE! Wish I had thought of something like that when I registered- hehe!

P.S
I still haven’t learned how to quote properly. So, for now, allow me to be an old-fashioned “oud-lover.” = D
Jody Stecher
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 9-30-2013 at 05:11 PM

OK, you want that old tarab sound. Check with John Vergara ("Bulerias 1981" on this forum). He knows exactly what you mean and may have something for sale. He's building ouds with exactly the quality you are looking for and also has used ouds from time to time. About price I don't know..... Also whether that sound can be gotten in a small bodied oud, I'm not sure. With a 58.5cm scale, Yes! it can be done. But the low rumble has to come from somewhere. For the sound you want, forget about "floating bridge" ouds as their voice is different.

Go To Top