Mike's Oud Forums
Not logged in [Login - Register]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Can music like this be played on the oud?
dan326
Oud Admirer

[*] posted on 9-30-2013 at 02:05 AM
Can music like this be played on the oud?

I am new to the oud and musical instruments in general, so I‘m not completely sure what sounds/styles are possible with which instruments. If it is, could you possibly point me in the direction of artists that play the same type of music?

Also can anyone recommend a luthier in the US or that ships there. I read the buying guide posted recently, but would like personal advice. I like the Arabic style ones if that helps.
Greg
Administrator

Mood: Serene

[*] posted on 9-30-2013 at 02:09 AM

Dan,

It seems that you were trying to attach this post to an existing thread, but instead started a new thread. Please advise the name of the thread you wanted to be part of and I will move your post.

Greg (moderator)
dan326
Oud Admirer

[*] posted on 9-30-2013 at 07:29 AM

Oops, I was trying to start a new thread, but forgot to attach the video! Sorry, here it is. :D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qsvY6fPtaLM
FilipHolm
Oud Maniac

[*] posted on 9-30-2013 at 08:36 AM

I think it's definitely possible to play to that kind of music. But it's going to be hard to mimic the guitar.
A guitar is a guitar and oud is oud.

I do know that Omar Bashir plays with a flamenco-ish style, if that's what you're looking for. I believe he even has an album called "Flamenco oud" or something like that.
Look it up :)
dan326
Oud Admirer

[*] posted on 9-30-2013 at 09:13 AM

Ok, thanks! I guess my lack of knowledge of exact musical terms kept me from being clear, but I didn't mean could the oud mimic the guitar sound but rather could songs written for a guitar be played on/ be modified to play on an oud (with its own oud sound of course).
Brian Prunka
Oud Junkie

Mood: Stringish

[*] posted on 9-30-2013 at 11:02 AM

The piece that he plays about a minute in is actually an Arabic piece, Doulab Nahawand. Most of the stuff here could be done on oud. The chordal stuff generally doesn't translate very well to the oud, although some people can do it with varying degrees of effectiveness.

YouTube lessons and resources

Follow on Instagram
My oud music on YouTube
www.brianprunka.com

My u2u inbox is over capacity, please contact me through my website
Microber
Oud Junkie

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 9-30-2013 at 10:08 PM

I would like to add that the doulab should sound much nicer if played on an oud.
For the continuation of the piece, if you want to play flamenco, maybe you could play guitar. :)

Robert
dan326
Oud Admirer

[*] posted on 10-1-2013 at 04:38 PM

Thanks everyone. I wasn't really sold on any particular instrument but mainly just wanted to learn to play one(an instrument). While the oud sounds very nice for sure and would be a very unique choice to introduce to my family/friends, after doing some more research, the sound of the flamenco guitar has definitely captured my heart, so that is the one I want to learn to play. Of course, that doesn't mean I won't ever learn to play the oud someday. ;)

Go To Top