Mike's Oud Forums
Not logged in [Login - Register]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2
Author: Subject: New Oud made of Padouk
SamirCanada

[*] posted on 12-28-2013 at 11:52 AM

Not that I know of... I believe it's the tuning suggested on the package of d'addario which is misleading and no body uses that tuning.

Very nice clean work fritz, however that action is way to high, it will have to be corrected to be playable. The strings at the neck should be about 2.5 to 3.5 mm away from the fingerboard.

@samiroud Instagram
samiroudmaker@gmail.com
hussamd
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 12-28-2013 at 01:38 PM

Did you get a chance to record it? I would love to hear how it sounds.
Jody Stecher
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 12-28-2013 at 04:54 PM

Quote: Originally posted by SamirCanada  
Not that I know of... I believe it's the tuning suggested on the package of d'addario which is misleading and no body uses that tuning.

Very nice clean work fritz, however that action is way to high, it will have to be corrected to be playable. The strings at the neck should be about 2.5 to 3.5 mm away from the fingerboard.

Oh dear! I see what has happened. D'Addario got ahold of the Turkish description of Arabic tuning. What's the highest course in that tuning? It's C. What does a Turk call that? SOL! So D'Addario thinks the pitch is G. etc etc.

Fritz, I would be afraid to tune those strings even to standard Turkish pitch at a string length of 60mm. By standard Turkish pitch I mean that the four highest courses are (high to low) d a e b and the lower courses are…..whatever they are. And if the low courses are A and E they might harm the oud if the strings don't break first. I'd hate to see such lovely wood work and all that time and effort end in "oudicide". I'm assuming that set "J 59" is actually "J 95". That set is safe for Turkish tuning at 58.55 mm and for Arabic tuning at a longer scale.
Fritz
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 12-29-2013 at 09:41 AM

Jody... Samir...

This is the tuning readable on the label of the strings, on this tuning I think was done the measurement of the weights of the strings. I have written this !

The actual tuning of the Oud is : A E A D g b ... from low to high

The weight of the Oud itself is 990 grams

Oh... there are some things going wrong... I see... I did not see the following postings... but now...

Jody, you are right... the set is J95 ! What would you suggest ? Wich tuning ? The sound is very arabic, the sting length is 600mm.

The tuning I use on this Oud is comfortable for me to play, and no string is bound to break... the sound is well and clear and I would never think the tuning is too high for this strings. I do not play these strings... it was a set I had on stock... the stock decreases... I cannot buy other strings... better strings.

Samir... what do you mean... to high ??? The action at the neck/bowl-joint is 3mm ! Not too low for an arabic Oud, and not too hight to be uncomfortable / loss or lack of playability.

Music is the food for the soul
Fritz
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 12-29-2013 at 09:44 AM

Quote: Originally posted by hussamd  
Did you get a chance to record it? I would love to hear how it sounds.

I will try to do so.

I have a good digital recorder... next days... when the strings are staying in tune... I´ll make a small recording... with my my very small playing skills.

Fritz

Fritz
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 12-29-2013 at 09:52 AM

Ah... I see ! One of the pics is showing the action... and the reflection of light on the finish and the small sanded area at the side edges of the ebony fingerboard seem to increase the visible action. No no... the action is about 3mm on the lowest string... every next string-pair is a bit lower in action to meet the different string diameters and the lower oszillating at the middle of one string...

Jody Stecher
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 12-29-2013 at 09:57 AM

Fritz,
I was concerned for the safety of your beautiful new oud. And also I am annoyed with D'Addario for irresponsibly printing a tuning that will damage some ouds.

The tuning you are using is safe for your oud but it is also unusual and to the best of my knowledge it is not a Turkish tuning. Usually the tuning is fourths all the way on the four high courses, so the high course would be cc, not bb. Of course bb is safe for your oud. But high gg (as D'Addario suggests) certainly is not. The confusion comes from the difference between European musical terminology and the terminology in Turkey, and in D'Addario's apparent problem in recognizing this difference.

Also bb would make standard repertoire a bit awkward to play. But maybe you have discovered an advantage (?)

With a scale of 600mm and a set of J 95 I would recommend

C FF AA DD GG CC

also good is

D GG AA DD GG CC

having A EE in the bass is of course safe but the low A might sound and feel a bit loose.

D'Addario are not bad strings. Only their printed tuning is bad.

I think we may be having a language difficulty between American English and German. Please let me know if anything is still unclear.

Happy New Year!
jody

Quote: Originally posted by Fritz  
Jody... Samir...

This is the tuning readable on the label of the strings, on this tuning I think was done the measurement of the weights of the strings. I have written this !

The actual tuning of the Oud is : A E A D g b ... from low to high

The weight of the Oud itself is 990 grams

Oh... there are some things going wrong... I see... I did not see the following postings... but now...

Jody, you are right... the set is J95 ! What would you suggest ? Wich tuning ? The sound is very arabic, the sting length is 600mm.

The tuning I use on this Oud is comfortable for me to play, and no string is bound to break... the sound is well and clear and I would never think the tuning is too high for this strings. I do not play these strings... it was a set I had on stock... the stock decreases... I cannot by other strings... better strings.

Samir... what do you mean... to high ??? The action at the neck/bowl-joint is 3mm ! Not too low for an arabic Oud, and not too hight to be uncomfortable / loss or lack of playability.

Fritz
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 12-29-2013 at 12:12 PM

Samir :)

I just measured again the action... exactly 2,9mm ... the distance between the underside of the string (low bass) and the fingerboard... may be there is indeed an optical effect looking like the action is too high. I cant always find the right words to explain exactly what I mean... in the one case I mean the smoothing of the edges of the fingerboard, and this is seen in the pic, and it is not reflecting the light and seems to give the impression that the fingerboard is lower that it is in real. The playability is good, the sound is nice and very Oudy :)
Melodies are coming with much deepness and a nice sad under-tone... like an arabic Oud has to sound. In a few days I make a recording...

Best wishes

Fritz

SamirCanada

[*] posted on 12-29-2013 at 04:12 PM

Ok excellent news then. I was hoping it was the reflection.
Otherwise i would have been sad for you :)

As Jody said, that's not really a typical Oud tuning so I wonder also why you chose this tuning?

Happy new year.

@samiroud Instagram
samiroudmaker@gmail.com
Fritz
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 12-31-2013 at 05:25 PM

Ok excellent news then. I was hoping it was the reflection.
Otherwise i would have been sad for you :)

As Jody said, that's not really a typical Oud tuning so I wonder also why you chose this tuning?

Happy new year.

Samir

Yes... the reflection gives the look of a high action.... the same I have with the pics of the other Oud I have just completed. (mahogany-maple left hand custom made)

The tuning I use (A E A D g c ) is the one I feel comfortable with. I do not play much or good, so there ist hardly chance to check another tuning... and there is mostly no Oud to play here. Perhaps the Padouk-Oud stays here... than I will play it. Jody suggested some tunings to check, I will try them..

A good new year to you, too :)

Greetings

Fritz

muhssin
Oud Addict

[*] posted on 2-5-2014 at 01:31 AM

@Fritz,
ist das GEIL:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:
Ist die Saitenlage so hoch oder kommt es mir nur so vor?

Gruß aus Worms
Fritz
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 3-31-2014 at 11:44 AM

Quote: Originally posted by muhssin  
@Fritz,
ist das GEIL:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:
Ist die Saitenlage so hoch oder kommt es mir nur so vor?

Gruß aus Worms

Hallo erstmal

Nein, die Saiten sind wirklich kaum 3mm über dem Halsansatz. Das täuscht wohl durch das Licht und die leichte Fase in der Griffbrettkante. Hatte extra nochmal gemessen... UNTER 3mm !

Das Teil klingt gut, spricht unheimlich an (stehste in der Küche, machst nen Ton... gehst in die Stube... da hörst den noch den Ton klingen lassen !)

Interesse an dem Gerät ? Ist wirklich zu schade zum anne Wand hängen lassen :-(

Beschreibung haste ja sicher bereits studiert :-)

Gruß

Fritz

muhssin
Oud Addict

[*] posted on 3-31-2014 at 07:38 PM

@Fritz,
wie soll ich das verstehen? willst du ihn loswerden?

Gruß
Muhssin
Brian Prunka
Oud Junkie

Mood: Stringish

[*] posted on 3-31-2014 at 07:56 PM

For the record, I have told D'addario multiple times about the incorrect tuning on the label . . . they said they would fix it, but I'm not holding my breath.

The nylon courses of D'addario are a bit light for Arabic tuning, even on a longer scale oud.
I would recommend getting something like .64mm and .74mm if possible.

best,
Brian

YouTube lessons and resources

Follow on Instagram
My oud music on YouTube
www.brianprunka.com

My u2u inbox is over capacity, please contact me through my website
Fritz
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 5-18-2014 at 12:57 PM

This Oud is for sale ...