Not logged in [Login - Register]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Ozten strings??
PaulS
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 10-16-2013 at 05:53 AM
Ozten strings??

Does anyone know about Ozten oud strings? I bought a set in Istanbul. The package seems to claim that they are now replacing Kurschner strings or are comparable to them? Just wondering if anyone knows about them...
joklany
Oud Maniac

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 10-17-2013 at 08:15 AM

I have been using the Arabic version of them for over a year now. I have them on 2 ouds. I thinks they sound nice. The only complain I have about them is the the G and C nylon strings are way too thin.

Also, my teacher use them and likes them sounds wise but thinks they are not durable.

Brian Prunka
Oud Junkie

Mood: Stringish

[*] posted on 10-17-2013 at 09:42 AM

I think the g and c are PVF, not nylon, which is why they might be thinner.

Ozten did used to make the strings for Kurchner, but no longer does. I talked to him about carrying them and may at some point.
I have heard good things about them.

YouTube lessons and resources

Follow on Instagram
My oud music on YouTube
www.brianprunka.com

My u2u inbox is over capacity, please contact me through my website
Jody Stecher
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 10-17-2013 at 10:46 AM

I tried a set of Ozten strings on a Turkish oud. The trebles were PVF. The sound of this set was good quality but their life was short. I have heard that Ozten strings can vary in quality. I haven't tested this theory.

I have also tried Kurschner strings and these were excellent but I don't know if that set came from the time when Ozten made them for Kurschner or from a later time. At any rate they were long lasting.

It seems that all string manufacturers occasionally turn out strings that are duds. Right now I have a set of Pyramid lute strings (the expensive kind) on an oud, and they have lasted a very long time ( 9 months so far) but they are wearing at an uneven rate. For instance one of the wound courses now has one alive string and one dull one. The alive one is both deep and bright. The best I can say for the dull one is that it plays in tune. These came from the same package. Since I play nearly as many up strokes as down strokes I don't think that the dull string (which is the upper one) got worn out sooner because it was struck many more times. Meanwhile the other strings all sound very much alive.
suz_i_dil
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 10-17-2013 at 12:20 PM

I'm using Ozten strings for more than one year and very satisfied with. Until now the quality is equal with the sets I used.
I first heard about him at Faruk Turunz workshop who was at this time using his sets on his ouds. I know there is also Husein Sabsaby who use them.

The strings are handmand in his workshop, so I think the best is to deal directly with him to tell him your needs: tension, tuning and stringlength. Among his material I saw he was using PVF and Pyramid materials.
Just know that in the case you deal directly with him, he doesn't sell small quantity.

Jody Stecher
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 10-17-2013 at 02:06 PM

suz_i_dil, could you please say what is meant by "Pyramid materials"?
thanks,
jody

Quote: Originally posted by suz_i_dil  
I'm using Ozten strings for more than one year and very satisfied with. Until now the quality is equal with the sets I used.
I first heard about him at Faruk Turunz workshop who was at this time using his sets on his ouds. I know there is also Husein Sabsaby who use them.

The strings are handmand in his workshop, so I think the best is to deal directly with him to tell him your needs: tension, tuning and stringlength. Among his material I saw he was using PVF and Pyramid materials.
Just know that in the case you deal directly with him, he doesn't sell small quantity.

suz_i_dil
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 10-18-2013 at 08:29 AM

I mean the rough material, from which he make the strings. He has several big coil of rough material, then choose how many filaments will be twisted together to make a string. Among those coils, I remind one was pyramid, but don't think all of the coils were.

PaulS
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 10-18-2013 at 09:26 PM

Thanks for all the info.
One more question?
I have a new Farouk Turunz our (the reduced price one) set up for Turkish tuning. When I bought it the young man told me it had Kurschner strings. They sound incredible to me ear but I wonder when i need to replace them what should I use. I just bought these Ozten ones because I wanted some back up. Thanks again.

Go To Top