Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: egyption oud maker
minahanna1992
Oud Admirer

[*] posted on 10-18-2013 at 04:09 AM
egyption oud maker

Hello , does anyone know egyption oud maker called gaafar جعفر
If any one know him please tell me his email or number . Thanks .
suz_i_dil
Oud Junkie

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 10-18-2013 at 08:41 AM

If you have facebook, try to get in touch with Issa Murad, he is an oud player living in Paris.
He plays Gaafar oud, and I guess he can put you in touch with him.
I used also to play on a Gaafar oud but this one was too big and finally sold it. An all macassar ebony oud, great sounding one. Gaafar has a very good reputation but it was not so easy to get an oud from him. At least it was like this 8 years ago.

suz_i_dil
Oud Junkie

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 10-18-2013 at 08:44 AM

BTW if you want to hear good music and how can sound an oud from Gaafar:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zXqim07MEVE

Ibrahim Seyam
Oud Admirer

[*] posted on 11-4-2013 at 12:26 AM

Gaafar's phone no. is +201222712573
You'll need to pay him a visit at his workshop in Mentai, Shubra Elkhaima
But recently he started to be a hard-to-get as he became famous among khaliji celebrities, and he started selling ouds for 6000+ EGP
Maharini Rubini
Oud Admirer

[*] posted on 11-4-2013 at 02:59 PM

Do you have photos and sound clips?
Alfaraby
Oud Junkie

Mood: Cool

[*] posted on 11-4-2013 at 04:04 PM

Mohammad-Ali Ga'afar used to be an apprentice of Farouq Shahata's, Maueice's late father. He started as a kid back in the early 1980's, or even before. Ga'afar's father was a friend of Farouq's, so he brought his son to his friend and asked him to employ the kid. He worked for Farouq till the latter passed away, but continued to work in the workshop, later run by the son. Ga'afar was one of Maurice's staff till he started making ouds after his working hours and sell them to "his" clients. Maurice didn't like the idea because he thought that Ga'afar's clients were originally his clients, so he fired the guy.

Ga'afar continued to make ouds like he was taught by Shehata, until he met Naseer Shamma at "Beit El Oud Al Araby", previousely located at the Cairo Opera House. Naseer asked Ga'afar to make ouds for his students under his own specifications and measurements for the Iraqi oud he had brought to Egypt. So, Ga'afar started making "Iraqi" floating bridge ouds and sell them to Naseer students.
I met the young man back in 2001 when Naseer recommended him as a good luthier, so I ordered my first ebony oud and had it done in about 3 months time ! It was a fairly good floating bridge oud that sounded the same like Naseer's. I was happy with it and ordered another one. When I came back to Cairo some 6 months later, I found that Ga'afar didn't make me the oud I ordered. For me, this was a good reason for an immediate divorce.

To tell the truth, he was a promising luthier until he started to take more orders than he could, and his reputation ebbed down to zero. He was forgotten among the oud players and there was no demand for his ouds untill lately. When Maurice's prices have skyrocketed, people remembered Ga'afar again and started addressing him for his low prices. I remember paying some 150 $ for a full ebony oud, while Maurice asked for tripple as much those days for such an oud.
Now Ga'afar is taking advantage of the demand for his ouds and his prices aren't as low as they used to be anymore.

For summary, Ga'afar has good hands but not quite a friend of perfection and numbers. I think the man is almost an illiterate , so things should be agreed upon in advance, put in writing by the client and given to him prior to an order.
I reccommend to buy an already made oud by Ga'afar and not a custom made one.
I hope this helps to know better about the (not anymore I guess) youngman.

yours indeed
Alfaraby

[file]29294[/file] [file]29296[/file]

alfarabymusic@gmail.com

Go To Top